PDA

View Full Version : Traffic shaping. I understand the idea but....

REM
29-08-2009, 23:19
I understand that traffic shaping is there to prevent really heavy users impacting on the usability of the rest of the virgin customers.

For the last 12 months I have been on the small broadband. i.e. 2mb/s

Why am I being throttled? I am only allowed 200MB before I am throttled for several hours. (I thought it was 4hours but their website says 12!)

I know I pay less than anyone on 20MB/s but if traffic shaping is there because of heavy users, how can I be a heavy user when I can't get higher than 2MB/s.

It's been driving me mad. It's taken me about 5 days to download a poultry 54GB file.

Is it just done to annoy people to the point where they upgrade?

Ben B
29-08-2009, 23:29
Broadband S is for really really lite users and is heavily throttled, I'd definitely consider upgrading to L, S is just a retention scam for people that weren't happy with the price hike from £18 to £20 on broadband M.

REM
30-08-2009, 01:32
Well I only dropped to the S when money was tight. I am currently waiting for 50Mb/s to be installed.

If BB S is for light users how can they affect other users. I think scam is right.

BenMcr
30-08-2009, 03:22
For the last 12 months I have been on the small broadband. i.e. 2mb/sWell that is wrong as BB S was only launched in March. If you were on a 2Mbit service before then it would have been BB M 2Mbit

Or to stop them downgrading in the first place

If BB S is for light users how can they affect other users.It's for Light and cheap users.

It is there as an alternative to those who don't want to pay for the other services that Virgin want you to buy (even though there is only a about a £2/£3 a month difference between S and L)

As such is designed to be a limited and non-value service. The heavy Traffic Management is placed on the service to stop people who do download things from going onto it

I think scam is rightHow so? As you have shown it is easy enough to find the information of what BB S is and does.

spiderplant
30-08-2009, 08:56
It's been driving me mad. It's taken me about 5 days to download a poultry 54GB file.
54GB?! Even at without any traffic management that's going to take 2.5 days on a 2Mbps connection. You really do need 50meg if you're going to move that size of file about. (Then it would be 2.4 hours flat out)

Out of interest, what kind of file is 54GB?

REM
30-08-2009, 15:51
54GB?! Even at without any traffic management that's going to take 2.5 days on a 2Mbps connection. You really do need 50meg if you're going to move that size of file about. (Then it would be 2.4 hours flat out)

Out of interest, what kind of file is 54GB?

Well it wasn't just one file, it was 7 DVD ISO files.

Thank you all for the replies.

Ignitionnet
30-08-2009, 18:54
Well it wasn't just one file, it was 7 DVD ISO files.

Thank you all for the replies.

That's a lot of Linux.

broadbandking
30-08-2009, 19:41
The type of Linux you sit there and watch.

lonny
31-08-2009, 09:59
It's taken me about 5 days to download a poultry 54GB file.

Was it Chicken Run on blu-ray??

Sirius
31-08-2009, 10:35
Was it Chicken Run on blu-ray??

And you think he will admit that :rolleyes:

broadbandking
31-08-2009, 10:41
whats wrong with chicken run

REM
31-08-2009, 14:20

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Linux. (Or Chicken Run for that matter)

mikegreen
09-09-2009, 15:11

:D

sc00ter
10-09-2009, 18:09
Well that is wrong as BB S was only launched in March. If you were on a 2Mbit service before then it would have been BB M 2Mbit

Or to stop them downgrading in the first place

It's for Light and cheap users.

It is there as an alternative to those who don't want to pay for the other services that Virgin want you to buy (even though there is only a about a £2/£3 a month difference between S and L)

As such is designed to be a limited and non-value service. The heavy Traffic Management is placed on the service to stop people who do download things from going onto it

How so? As you have shown it is easy enough to find the information of what BB S is and does.

lol so think thats funny that a low speed bb is classed as lite low user its just if you dont need amy more speed but the cap on this is way ott

and to think of some one as a Light and cheap user dont think they put that in the adds .. this service if for cheap users hmm

sc00terx

BenMcr
10-09-2009, 18:16
They don't advertise BB S at all

REM
10-09-2009, 18:48
the cap on this is way ott

sc00terx

Exactly. Does that make me one of the 0.1percenters? Maybe I should get a badge and take up the motorcycle.

sc00ter
10-09-2009, 19:04
They don't advertise BB S at all

kewl :)

sc00terx