PDA

View Full Version : Quick Start Install Question.

mattkyleuk
28-08-2009, 19:49
I moved into my flat this morning which had Cable already installed and therefore I could benefit from the quick start installation.

Got my box as planned and began setting it up.

I began to notice that were they had put the splitter was nowhere near any plugs. However the TV cable had been ran neatly to where the plugs were so there was no problem with TV.

However there is no plug for my broadband modem. Unless i trail a lead across the room.

I noticed that were the Cable comes into the house, there is a few metres of cable then there is like and extention where two cable leads meet and joined somehow to create and extention.

I was thinking that where the splitter is currently, would it be possible to remove the splitter and insert a middle bit to basically join the two wires and making just one wire going all the way from where it comes into the house to where the neatly ran current TV cable is. Then placing the splitter where the cable is next to the plugs and going from there.

The main question is, what part(if any available) would i need in order to connect the two cables as mentioned above.

I hope this is possible rather than waiting to get an engineer out to sort it all.

Cheers

Matt

BenMcr
28-08-2009, 20:25
You will need an engineer. Quickstart installations are designed to connect to existing points. If you don't have the points where you want them, then it shouldn't have been done as Quickstart

mattkyleuk
28-08-2009, 20:46
But it could be solved with a simple coupler surely? I had they TV working fine with two splitters, just using one as a gateway/connecter but havint had a chance to try BB yet as there was problems at install.

I only found out about these problems this morning when i got the keys to the new flat, i assumed they would be in the in the right place as the previous tennant had cable services

BenMcr
28-08-2009, 20:47
Virgin won't send any more bits that those that you already have.

If you need anything else to get it installed then you will need an engineer

mattkyleuk
28-08-2009, 20:59
I don't want Virgin to send it I just wanted to get it myself, but cheers for help anyways :)

If anyone else has any experience with this feel free to post

Peter_
28-08-2009, 21:08
I don't want Virgin to send it I just wanted to get it myself, but cheers for help anyways :)

If anyone else has any experience with this feel free to post
As Ben has already said you will need to call in on 0800 953 9500 and ask for a manned installation to put you cables in the area you require them in.

This can happen on Quickstart self installs because when the order is being processed they have no idea where the existing isolator box has been installed and only when you get the kit it becomes obvious that it needs moving.

Call now you have till 10pm or wait till after 0800 tomorrow morning.

mattkyleuk
28-08-2009, 21:46
Whats the time range like to get one out?

Peter_
28-08-2009, 22:04
Whats the time range like to get one out?
Only Quickstart can give you that information.