PDA

View Full Version : 50MB Service - Live Streaming Lags?

Ear
28-08-2009, 16:31
Hi

I bought the 50MB broadband as I stream xbox gaming to a website called JustinTV. I have run a number of speed tests which all seem to state I'm getting the top speed available but when I stream to Justin.tv even at a fraction of the upload speed available at certain times viewers are complaining that the stream lags - freezes completly every 10 seconds then continues which means its completly unwatchable and falls behind.

No other broadcasters on their website seem to be reporting this problem and when I contacted support they told me the problem is on my side. They asked me to restart my router which fixed the problem... the lag then returned 5 minutes later.

I know if I go to VM with this straight away they will blame the website and say they can't provide support for it. Can anyone here recommend anything to fix this problem? Or identify what might be causing it looking at my router stats or something? I'd understand if I was broadcasting and the highest available upload rate but it happens even at 200 and 350Kbps.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I mainly connect with the ethernet cable directly - I tried a wireless connection and the same problem occurs. If I do some speedtests at the exact moment the lag occurs they still show the top upload speed being available.

Tarantella
28-08-2009, 18:37
Can you get a neotrace or similar running to the Justin.tv address on a computer whilst streaming data from your xbox?

Ear
06-09-2009, 12:57
I'm not sure what a neotrace is?

Its a bit strange but since posting this topic I have only had two cases of lag and turning my modem/laptop of for 5 minutes and then back on again resolved it. Cheers for the help anyway... sorry for not responding earlier!

cook1984
07-09-2009, 18:47
Unfortunately VM is no good for streaming during peek times, or just after 9pm when all the downloads kick off.

yorkshireborn
07-09-2009, 20:26
Unfortunately VM is no good for streaming during peek times, or just after 9pm when all the downloads kick off.

at any time with the bbc iplayer

gulf4uk
07-09-2009, 20:49
word of advice BE REAL CAREFULL USING JUSTIN TV Most streams on there are
PIRATE . Some links posted route to some very nasty Trojans and virus .
watch the chatrooms with children around carefully the Language and links
can be very bad some links posted very Dodgy AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Ear
08-09-2009, 15:08
I'm not streaming videos from youtube or bbc iplayer or anything like that. I'm streaming the video from my computer to the internet using my upload.

I've just done a few more tests when the lag happens and discovered that the lag may be on virgins side. As soon as I notice the lag happening I disconnect the stream and do a speed test. It shows my upload speed has been cut by a lot! Previously it was 1700 but the max it reaches during this period is 700. It stays at this speed until I restart the modem.... then it goes back to normal again for an hour or two when the cycle continues. Lag, restart, fixed for 2 hours. Is this something that can be fixed?

Ignitionnet
08-09-2009, 19:04
word of advice BE REAL CAREFULL USING JUSTIN TV Most streams on there are
PIRATE . Some links posted route to some very nasty Trojans and virus .
watch the chatrooms with children around carefully the Language and links
can be very bad some links posted very Dodgy AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Thank you for keeping us all safe and warm, but we're all quite old enough to decide for ourselves what we want to use and if we want to watch knocked off streams of TV channels or click dodgy links, thank you.

These 'pirate streams' are very useful for watching out of country channels and events such as Ashes cricket when normal TV isn't available. By those views we should all never go on the internet as some links posted take you to some nasty trojans and viruses and some dodgy chat rooms are on here too!

cook1984
08-09-2009, 19:32
It's not as if we even have a choice to use legit streaming services. If iPlayer is lagging a lot then the only option is BitTorrent.