PDA

View Full Version : 20mb BB. No internet (Router internet light is on)

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 17:22
Just recieved the stuff for the 20mb today.

I connected to cable to the modem, then with the ethernet cable I connected the modem to the router and then connected the router with my laptop using ethernet cable.

The Modem 'Ready' Light is yellow. The Router Internet Light is Green. This would suggest i have a connection to the internet.

I tried connecting to the router wirelessly without setting up the router. I connected ot the router but their is no Internet connection.

I cannot setup the router because it needs a valid internet connection.

I have tried ignoreing the router and doing a direct connection from the modem to my laptop, still no joy.

Any suggestions?

webcrawler2050
25-08-2009, 17:30
Hello,

Have you rang activations, to get your VM modem activated?

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 17:31
Fraid not, would that be the problem. I never seen anything on the letters mentioning that.

webcrawler2050
25-08-2009, 17:37
Fraid not, would that be the problem. I never seen anything on the letters mentioning that.

Yep more than likely - give them a ring - see what they can do for you - number should be in the booklet.

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 17:38
I got told about this before recieving the things, but it doesnt say anywhere that i need to activate it!

Thanks for information though, i will look into it.

webcrawler2050
25-08-2009, 17:40
How strange. Well normally, you should see an on screen process.

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 17:41
I've just googled around. I havent found much references to phoning about activating the modem!

webcrawler2050
25-08-2009, 17:42
I've just googled around. I havent found much references to phoning about activating the modem!

Wait - are you simply trying to add a wireless modem on to an exisiting VM Modem?

If not and this is all brand new kit, that comes with the self install kit - then you need to activate it.

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 17:47
Ignoring the router, the 'Ready' Light on the router is green which i recall means that it has an internet connection. I've connected the VM modem directly to my laptop to recieve this internetconnection but i cant. It just picks up the device and connects without the internet connection.

Same situation goes for using the router as a gateway between the VM Modem and my Laptop.

All signals suggest there is an internet connection running through the VM Modem.

Ben B
25-08-2009, 17:50
The modem definitely needs activating. Ring 150 from a Virgin Phone or 08454541111 from any other phone

webcrawler2050
25-08-2009, 17:51
Ignoring the router, the 'Ready' Light on the router is green which i recall means that it has an internet connection. I've connected the VM modem directly to my laptop to recieve this internetconnection but i cant. It just picks up the device and connects without the internet connection.

Same situation goes for using the router as a gateway between the VM Modem and my Laptop.

All signals suggest there is an internet connection running through the VM Modem.

Yep - modem needs activating as Ben Says

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 17:53
Okey, im not the account holder, will that matter? And what information do they need?

Ben B
25-08-2009, 17:57
I dunno about whether they will allow you if you are not the account holder but they will need the Account Number, Account Password and HFC MAC Address from the bottom of the modem :)

retro_hood
25-08-2009, 18:04
Thankyou for the help guys, i will get right on it.

Ben B
25-08-2009, 18:10
Thankyou for the help guys, i will get right on it.

Let us know how you get on :)