PDA

View Full Version : Housemate sabotaged the modem?

aXsaneXvoice
25-08-2009, 14:42
Hello all :) my first post here.

To cut a long story short, I'm in a shared house where the guy just evicted had set himself up as 'sys admin' for the house, upon his leaving (and removal of his admin kit) the broadband no longer works :(

We have Virgin broadband and a Virgin 256 modem, the sync and ready lights on the modem are solid green but when I plug my computer directly into the enet port of the modem the enet light stays off and windows reports a 'network cable unplugged' message.

Tried powering everything up again and also using different cat 5 cables but no luck :(

Anyone have any ideas why the modem is playing up like this? or what the ex housemate could have done to it to make it do this? and if it is possible to fix it?

Many thnaks in advance for any help!

Kymmy
25-08-2009, 14:54
Have you rebooted the modem as it needs it when changing devices.. Apart from that there's not a lot someone can do to a modem unless they've cancelled the account..

aXsaneXvoice
25-08-2009, 15:03
Have you rebooted the modem as it needs it when changing devices.. Apart from that there's not a lot someone can do to a modem unless they've cancelled the account..

Hi Kymmy, yes have re-booted the modem and the computer without any luck.

The account still seemsa active as the TV channels still work and the modem shows a solid green light for ready and sync.

Hmmm.. maybe he swapped the modem for a different one, do you know if a modem is not registered with Virgin would it still show the solid green light for sync & ready?

The sync & ready lightrs are solid green but no 'enet' light withe the computer connected to the modem.

thanks!

Kymmy
25-08-2009, 15:10
Who's account is the VM contract in? I fthe account holder is there, simply call up CS and tell them that the modem is not working, they'll go through with you the problem and will probably send you a new modem

aXsaneXvoice
25-08-2009, 15:44
Who's account is the VM contract in? I fthe account holder is there, simply call up CS and tell them that the modem is not working, they'll go through with you the problem and will probably send you a new modem

Hi Kymmy, phoned VM and they say that the ethernet port on the modem isn't working and that they will send a new modem.

I was hoping not to have to be without net access :(

The modem I have was working fine and not working after the housemate left. It's clear that he did something to it to break it but what it was I don't understand, had hoped to fix watever he'd broken but looks like I'll have to wait for a replacement :(

My try opening it up later to see what the insides look like ;)

Thanks.

bopdude
25-08-2009, 16:24
I wouldn't open it, your then going from a busted ( hire ) modem, free replacement, to vandalism and a bill.

aXsaneXvoice
25-08-2009, 16:37
I wouldn't open it, your then going from a busted ( hire ) modem, free replacement, to vandalism and a bill.

Really? do VM ask for the old modem back? They said they were posting the new one, I'd assumed that they just wanted me to bin the broken one.

bopdude
25-08-2009, 16:39
They are within their rights to ask for the old one back, I read recently that they were not as bothered with the older modems, still they could ask for its return.

aXsaneXvoice
25-08-2009, 16:52
They are within their rights to ask for the old one back, I read recently that they were not as bothered with the older modems, still they could ask for its return.

Hmmm.. guess I'll just hold out till the new modem arrives

Peter_
25-08-2009, 17:46
Really? do VM ask for the old modem back? They said they were posting the new one, I'd assumed that they just wanted me to bin the broken one.
They will not ask for the modem back all they require of you is to dispose of it in an electrical waste recycling skip if possible.

bopdude
25-08-2009, 17:48
They will not ask for the modem back all they require of you is to dispose of it in an electrical waste recycling skip if possible.

Does that apply to all 'older' models ? up to which one out of interest ?

Ben B
25-08-2009, 17:51
If the ethernet socket isn't working it sounds to me like they've knackered the metal prongs in the ethernet socket

Peter_
25-08-2009, 17:53
Does that apply to all 'older' models ? up to which one out of interest ?
They replace up to EPC2100's, but it depends what package you are on, but none of the modems prior to the 256 are collected for re issue as all new modems that are activated are 256's nowadays, except when customers have one stuck in a cupboard but they are rare.

bopdude
25-08-2009, 17:58
Thanks for the info.

Matt-08
25-08-2009, 18:18
It is possible he broke the cable, do you have another ethernet cable around? You don't use a router then?

If the new modem doesn't work, you might have to get another cable, they are really inexpensive though....

Ignitionnet
25-08-2009, 18:50
I wonder if he hard set the speed and duplex on the modem and the ethernet port on the PC is at auto, or vice-versa...

aXsaneXvoice
26-08-2009, 11:02
It is possible he broke the cable, do you have another ethernet cable around? You don't use a router then?

If the new modem doesn't work, you might have to get another cable, they are really inexpensive though....

I do use a router but to eliminate that from the problem I connected the computer directly to the modem and I still have the same problem.

Yes I've tried a few different ethernet cables, all without any luck.

Thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

I wonder if he hard set the speed and duplex on the modem and the ethernet port on the PC is at auto, or vice-versa...

How would you change the settings on the modem?

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

If the ethernet socket isn't working it sounds to me like they've knackered the metal prongs in the ethernet socket

The pins in the socket looked OK, I'll give them a closer examination when I get home.

thanks!

aXsaneXvoice
26-08-2009, 14:42
Ok, I opened up the modem and found a couple of odd things...

I don't have a picture of my modem but have marked on this image the odd bits:

1) The four pins marked by the red square.. the outer pins (far left and right) are bent inwardsd so they are touching the pin next to them.

2) The leg of this chip marked by the red circle, this is completely detatched from the board.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/11.jpg (http://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/aXsaneXvoice/?action=view&current=cimg1507.jpg)

Does anyone know if this is normal or has my ex-housemate done this on purpose???

thanks in advance.

Raistlin
26-08-2009, 14:43
I think you uploaded the wrong picture.

No red circles, squares, or anything on the picture you put up.

joglynne
26-08-2009, 14:52
Rob, if you magnify the picture, there is a red oblong and a very small red circle in the bottom right quarter of the OPs photo near to a light blue thingy. :)

Kymmy
26-08-2009, 15:16
Not all pins on every chip is soldered.. I personally think you;re just being paranoid as to the intentions of your previous housemate :rolleyes:

aXsaneXvoice
26-08-2009, 15:28
Very small red circle on the Ethernet magnetics pin 9 (T300, LFE8505 made by Delta Electronics). This pin is important as it is one side of the balanced pair in the cable.

Yoiks!! that sounds bad!! Sounds like the modem was sabotaged after all :mad:

Thanks for your help!

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Not all pins on every chip is soldered.. I personally think you;re just being paranoid as to the intentions of your previous housemate :rolleyes:

That's what I was asking, in these modems:

a) is this pin soldered in the modem

b) do VM bend the pins in the rectangular red box ?

I'd find it very odd if VM bend these pins (b) ...

Ignitionnet
26-08-2009, 16:09
Have you actually contacted Virgin or are you going to work on reverse engineering your cable modem instead?

VM may well bend the pins - to make it harder for people to play games with the modem by connecting JTAGs or similar to them to reprogram them.

aXsaneXvoice
26-08-2009, 17:00
Have you actually contacted Virgin or are you going to work on reverse engineering your cable modem instead?

VM may well bend the pins - to make it harder for people to play games with the modem by connecting JTAGs or similar to them to reprogram them.

Yes I've contacted VM, they are sending a new modem. They said it could take 3-5 days, a loooong time by current super fast internet everything on demeand standards so am bored and it was an itch which needed scratching ;)

Out of curiosity I'm going to take a peek in the new one when it arrives & compare :)

Matt-08
26-08-2009, 17:11
Looks like the housemate has jammed a Smartie (sweet) in there!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/10.jpg

Jon T
26-08-2009, 17:26
Out of curiosity I'm going to take a peek in the new one when it arrives & compare :)

A modem that you don't own, added to which by doing this you leave yourself open to a replacement charge if Virgin ever need to visit you and find that you've tampered with it.

I'd leave it well alone ;)

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Looks like the housemate has jammed a Smartie (sweet) in there!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/10.jpg

That's a tantalum bead capacitor :D

Matt-08
26-08-2009, 17:31
A modem that you don't own, added to which by doing this you leave yourself open to a replacement charge if Virgin ever need to visit you and find that you've tampered with it.

I'd leave it well alone ;)

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

That's a tantalum bead capacitor :D

It was a joke. :(

Jon T
26-08-2009, 17:41
It was a joke. :(

I know, that's why i put the ":D" smiley in.