PDA

View Full Version : 50MB backing up

Mike
24-08-2009, 23:24
Hi all

I am in the process of upgrading to the 50MB package this Friday.

I quite like the idea of backing up all my music and photo online and wonder how easy is it to do and are the items compressed?

My music totals approx is approx 35GB and photos 22GB. Would that take ages to back up ?

Many thanks

Mike

broadbandking
24-08-2009, 23:26
Due to the crap upload speed yes it will

Ignitionnet
25-08-2009, 00:21
Hi all

I quite like the idea of backing up all my music and photo online and wonder how easy is it to do and are the items compressed?

My music totals approx is approx 35GB and photos 22GB. Would that take ages to back up ?

Many thanks

Mike

It will be an excruciating experience which will feel similar to pulling teeth with a rusty spoon.

They won't get compressed much as they will already be compressed.

It's going to take 3 or 4 days at very least, don't hold your breath ;)

Pedro1
25-08-2009, 01:49
Hi all

Many thanks

Mike

As Broadbanking said the upload speed is better than most isp's but still crap. back up all your stuff to another drive on the pc or another pc altogether. Faster and easier.. Or even on another partition on your drive...

Ignitionnet
25-08-2009, 14:59
As Broadbanking said the upload speed is better than most isp's but still crap. back up all your stuff to another drive on the pc or another pc altogether. Faster and easier.. Or even on another partition on your drive...

Err Pedro rather pointless backing stuff up to the same drive don't you think?

It's a better upstream than most offer for sure, people who like their upload and are close enough to the exchange, which is the major problem, use O2 / Be. I'm too far away to benefit sadly :(

rjsetford
27-08-2009, 14:13
I have around 160gb backed up to www.mozy.com. Okay, it took a few days to get all that up but once it's done only incremental changes are then sent.

We had a PC failure in January but, thanks to Mozy and my pretty much rock solid VM (10mb at the time, now 20mb), I had most of the data back in almost no time.

I can't recommend www.mozy.com enough. for $4.95pm you get unlimited storage space. Windows only at the moment but a Linux client is, so I'm told by Mozy, on it's way.

Hope that helps,

Rich

Pedro1
27-08-2009, 19:46

It's a better upstream than most offer for sure, people who like their upload and are close enough to the exchange, which is the major problem, use O2 / Be. I'm too far away to benefit sadly :(
LOL sorry add another drive or just partition the existing one that would do the trick...

Pedro1
28-08-2009, 00:28

Who said anything about using the same drive, i never.

dd11
28-08-2009, 00:47
back up all your stuff to another drive on the pc or another pc altogether. Faster and easier.. Or even on another partition on your drive...

If you backed up to a partition on the same drive an one day the drive failed, then surely you'd have no back up?

Pedro1
28-08-2009, 01:22
Not entirly true as if you had to do a format for instance you would only be formating the C drive the partitiond section would be ok. Its not uncommon for h/drives to go into complete melt down but if they do then thats it, but most times the drive is just gubbed on the c drive (windows).

Bigfootedfred
28-08-2009, 01:55
i just use a 500gb network drive, shared across my gigabyte ethernet, we all use that to back up files. nice, quick easy and simple. have some External usb hard drives as well if needs be, backing up online just seems like a hair pulling experience id rather not try!

Pedro1
28-08-2009, 02:09
i just use a 500gb network drive, shared across my gigabyte ethernet, we all use that to back up files. nice, quick easy and simple. have some External usb hard drives as well if needs be, backing up online just seems like a hair pulling experience id rather not try!

I agree and just costs you money too. Always back up to partitions, additional drives on the pc or external drives and pc's altogether.

Who else can see you stuff too when uploaded to websites. I dont have anything to hide but c/mon people...

davies1977
28-08-2009, 07:23
Don't bother will take forever!!! Been trying to back all my details and god I wish I had never bothered!!!

Ignitionnet
29-08-2009, 11:38
Who said anything about using the same drive, i never.

Yes you did:

The only difference between partitions is they are on different parts of the hard drive, if the hard drive fails it's game over and a drive failing is more likely than a software fault so catastrophic you lose all the data on the partition. Windows or whatever not booting and losing the data on the partition are pretty different things.

I get what you meant but you need to differentiate between logical drives and physical ones. Either way backing up stuff on partitions on the same physical drive is a really bad idea.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Who else can see you stuff too when uploaded to websites. I dont have anything to hide but c/mon people...

If you encrypt it precisely no-one.

Pedro1
29-08-2009, 12:05
Yes you did:

The only difference between partitions is they are on different parts of the hard drive, if the hard drive fails it's game over and a drive failing is more likely than a software fault so catastrophic you lose all the data on the partition. Windows or whatever not booting and losing the data on the partition are pretty different things.

I get what you meant but you need to differentiate between logical drives and physical ones. Either way backing up stuff on partitions on the same physical drive is a really bad idea.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

If you encrypt it precisely no-one.

Enrypting and uploading to websites....//..//. Just to much bother for me.
As i have 4 comps in the house i just duplicate stuff i dont want to loose on them...

caph
29-08-2009, 23:46
Hi all

The Virgin rebranded backup software is awful. Give it a go by all means and you may get it to work but don't be surprised if it locks up and behaves unpredictably. Also the online browsing of your backup is unusably slow. If you can put up with this and can get the software to work then you've got nothing to lose because it is free.

If you want a working, decent backup service then you are going to have to look elsewhere.

Search for threads in this forum and you'll get a good feel for how bad the Virgin backup service is.