PDA

View Full Version : Router will not connect to internet since new modem

BostonsPatriot
23-08-2009, 00:24
Hey guys. The other day we couldnt get online, so we rang VM. They said that it was a problem at there end and it would be like that untill the end of the month, they said they were upgrading the software or something. They then said they could temp fix this problem at there end but said we would need to connect the modem directly to pc and not wireless, so we went through a modem connection and they got us back online. Then we thought it would be ok to plug the router back in, but then it wouldnt connect back to the internet so we rang again. The guy said we would need to keep a modem connection and said we could also lose the internet connection every 2 hours with there problem of updating software and that the best option would be to have a new modem. The guy at VM took the mac address for the router the first time we rang up when he said we would need to keep a modem connection. Now I have just installed the new modem, rang them registered it and it will not connect through the router. All they keep doing is hanging up on me when I ring and try explaining :mad:

Halcyon
23-08-2009, 00:25
Make sure everything is off. Turn on the modem. Wait a minute. Then turn on the router. Wait a minute. Then turn on your computer.

Any luck ?

Mick Fisher
23-08-2009, 01:07
If you can connect with the PC directly connected to the modem, try cloning the PC's mac to the router.

BostonsPatriot
23-08-2009, 01:19
Make sure everything is off. Turn on the modem. Wait a minute. Then turn on the router. Wait a minute. Then turn on your computer.

Any luck ?

Im embaressed to say that this simple little trick fixed the job. And not only did it fix it with the new modem, I just connected the old modem back up and it works on that also :D

Ben B
23-08-2009, 01:22
Im embaressed to say that this simple little trick fixed the job. And not only did it fix it with the new modem, I just connected the old modem back up and it works on that also :D

Yep it would because it's a new mac address which is being connected to the modem so you need to power cycle the modem before it will connect to a different device. Glad you got it sorted :)

Halcyon
23-08-2009, 10:22

Excellent. I'm glad everything is working for you.

Peter_
23-08-2009, 11:24
I just connected the old modem back up and it works on that also :D
Someone has not done their job as the old modem should no longer work;)

BostonsPatriot
23-08-2009, 16:03
You know what, I thought that in bed last night lol. I thought surly only the new modem should work, and would of thought they would of deleted the mac address from the old modem from there system.

Maybe I will buy a splitter and run some coax cable upstairs and have the modem up there for my bros computer.

Graham M
23-08-2009, 16:05
I don't imagine it is going to work for long, plus that would technically be theft of service which we won't allow to be discussed here.

BostonsPatriot
23-08-2009, 16:08
Hmmm, I dont know about theft of service. I am paying them for the internet connection. So would if be theft?

graf_von_anonym
23-08-2009, 22:46
Was your old modem a Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 by any chance?

Ignitionnet
23-08-2009, 23:59
Hmmm, I dont know about theft of service. I am paying them for the internet connection. So would if be theft?

You're paying for one connection, not two which is what you would have with both modems running :)