PDA

View Full Version : Procedure for 20 to 50Mb upgrade, please?

Billy-Bob
22-08-2009, 20:40
When the price for 50Mb comes down in September, I am very tempted to upgrade my 20Mb connection for the extra £1 a month. However, I am somewhat put-off by horror stories posted here about useless overseas call centres cocking-up installs, engineers who don't turn up and performance problems with 50Mb.

I'd be grateful if someone could answer the following questions for me:

(1) Is there is a particular time of day or night that I would be more likely to get through to a UK call centre that could handle such an upgrade? Or would it be easier/less susceptible to cocking-up by VM's own internal systems if I order the upgrade on their website?

(2) If I don't want the "free" wireless router or USB dongle (I don't) then is there any chance at all of me getting at least a reduction in the "installation" fee for 50Mb?

(3) If it's just a case of unscrewing the coax from my current 20Mb cable modem and screwing it into the new 50Mb cable modem, can I do a "self-install" (i.e. they send me the modem in the post, and I install it on a set change-over date), or must I have an engineer come to my house to do it?
Again, if I can do it myself, must I still pay the "installation" fee?

(4) I'm assuming that such an upgrade will require me to agree to a new 12 month contract. Since it's been several years since I last signed a contract with VM, can someone confirm to me that they're not doing the sneaky "12 month auto-renewal unless you tell us to cancel it within a 7 day window each year" scam that BT have started to pull on their telephone customers?

Any advice gratefully received!

Ta.

Peter_
22-08-2009, 20:49
(1) Is there is a particular time of day or night that I would be more likely to get through to a UK call centre that could handle such an upgrade? Or would it be easier/less susceptible to cocking-up by VM's own internal systems if I order the upgrade on their website?

Probably best to call on Monday after 0800 on 0845 454 1111 as more likely to get a UK agent.

(2) If I don't want the "free" wireless router or USB dongle (I don't) then is there any chance at all of me getting at least a reduction in the "installation" fee for 50Mb?

The router and USB dongle come as part of the package and if you refuse them the will be no price reduction.

Plus if you call in over wireless speed issues you will be asked to connect direct as your kit will be unsupported.

(3) If it's just a case of unscrewing the coax from my current 20Mb cable modem and screwing it into the new 50Mb cable modem, can I do a "self-install" (i.e. they send me the modem in the post, and I install it on a set change-over date), or must I have an engineer come to my house to do it?
Again, if I can do it myself, must I still pay the "installation" fee?

The is no self install available for 50Mb you must have a manned install and pay the installation fee.

(4) I'm assuming that such an upgrade will require me to agree to a new 12 month contract. Since it's been several years since I last signed a contract with VM, can someone confirm to me that they're not doing the sneaky "12 month auto-renewal unless you tell us to cancel it within a 7 day window each year" scam that BT have started to pull on their telephone customers?

You will be put into a standard 12 month contract with no automatic rollover.

Billy-Bob
23-08-2009, 00:50
Thanks for the info Moldova. Pretty much as I suspected about the wireless router- I have a wired network so wireless is irrelevant to me.
Does the router/dongle remain the property of VM, or is it "mine to keep" (i.e. sell on ebay!)?

webcrawler2050
23-08-2009, 00:53
Thanks for the info Moldova. Pretty much as I suspected about the wireless router- I have a wired network so wireless is irrelevant to me.
Does the router/dongle remain the property of VM, or is it "mine to keep" (i.e. sell on ebay!)?

I do believe it's yours however, the blue modem, is the property of Vm and selling that is illegal.

Ben B
23-08-2009, 00:57
I do believe it's yours however, the blue modem, is the property of Vm and selling that is illegal.

Router is owned/supported by VM for 2 years when it will be removed from your account I think.

BenMcr
23-08-2009, 10:42
Doesn't get removed and you would still get support for it, it's just the free warranty replacements that stop

Peter_
23-08-2009, 11:23
Doesn't get removed and you would still get support for it, it's just the free warranty replacements that stop
It will be automatically removed from the account equipment screen at which point we can no longer offer support for the router and they then have to come through to you guys for a new router.

BenMcr
23-08-2009, 15:12
That makes no sense at all. Bang on 2 years 'router you say? Don't know what you are on about there - but if you would like to fork out for something that doesn't need replacing I'm sure I can help'

moaningmags
23-08-2009, 16:11
It will be automatically removed from the account equipment screen at which point we can no longer offer support for the router and they then have to come through to you guys for a new router.

Eh? If it's ours we support it even after 2 years. We won't replace it free of charge after 2 years but we'll still technically troubleshoot it.
We still troubleshoot Wireless Access Points that were in use with Telewest.

looselipsuk
23-08-2009, 16:49
Eh? If it's ours we support it even after 2 years. We won't replace it free of charge after 2 years but we'll still technically troubleshoot it.

This is something I cannot get my head around. If it still remains the property of Virgin Media then it follows they are responsible if it breaks, so why would there be a charge?
If, after two years, Virgin Media would not replace it if it went faulty then that must mean it is no longer the property of Virgin Media but yours.

Peter_
23-08-2009, 17:12
If it is no longer listed on the account equipment screen then it cannot be supported as it is out of scope and you would fail quality for supporting that equipment.

This how our quality team view this equipment.

gumpy321
23-08-2009, 18:30
I'm having a 50meg install tomorrow. I've had no emails or texts off VM. Should I have got one confirming the date?

And is the "install" a simple swap the modem job?

BenMcr
23-08-2009, 19:56
If it is no longer listed on the account equipment screen then it cannot be supported as it is out of scope and you would fail quality for supporting that equipment.

Routers don't show up as equipment in the first place. There is a Wireless marker - which I expect to remain on the account indefinately. It would need to so that all agents can work out what wireless equipment is needed for any future upgrades

xocemp
23-08-2009, 20:21

Complete rubbish, there is no wireless device listed as equipment, as a VS yes, equipment no.
The warranty for wireless g supplied by VM is 2 years. The support for the functioning device is timeless.

graf_von_anonym
23-08-2009, 22:45
Eh? If it's not on the account equipment screen then it's unsupported?

So you're effectively saying that the only devices VM can provide support for are smart cards, modems, set-top boxes and that other thing that I can't remember just now? Not even tellies and computers and telephones?

As others have said, 2 years warranty replacement, and support whenever. The wireless access points do still work, but those few who've still got them would usually be encouraged to switch up to a router, as they'll often not be getting their full bandwidth.

I've literally no idea where you got that notion from Moldova.

Ben
24-08-2009, 08:03
I would get 50Mbit but it seems whenever I call (in the last few days) I just keep getting push around different agents. An agent says I can have it, puts me on hold for a different department the agent I'm put though too knows nothing and I have to end up starting over again. I ask to speak to a manager because this is stupid, I get put on hold and passed around the helpdesk again.

Peter_
24-08-2009, 08:11
I would get 50Mbit but it seems whenever I call (in the last few days) I just keep getting push around different agents. An agent says I can have it, puts me on hold for a different department the agent I'm put though too knows nothing and I have to end up starting over again. I ask to speak to a manager because this is stupid, I get put on hold and passed around the helpdesk again.
Call now as you should get a UK agent.

bubblegun
24-08-2009, 15:57
I'm having a 50meg install tomorrow. I've had no emails or texts off VM. Should I have got one confirming the date?

And is the "install" a simple swap the modem job?

I got 50Meg installed on 7th August and got one email confirming it, though I did book it online.

Had a laugh the other day though when I got a letter from Virgin confirming my visit for the 7th of August on a letter dated the 8th of August!

Billy-Bob
24-08-2009, 16:05
I got 50Meg installed on 7th August and got one email confirming it, though I did book it online.

Had a laugh the other day though when I got a letter from Virgin confirming my visit for the 7th of August on a letter dated the 8th of August!

Bubblegun, what did the engineer actually do at your install? Was it just a modem swap-out, or did he also check the line, install an attenuator, re-cable, etc.?

Ignitionnet
24-08-2009, 19:43
Whatever the engineer does the install will cost you the same.

They should check the power levels, etc, and install attenuators and/or adjust them as required, then speed test the connection using the internal VM tester.

bubblegun
24-08-2009, 23:36
Bubblegun, what did the engineer actually do at your install? Was it just a modem swap-out, or did he also check the line, install an attenuator, re-cable, etc.?

He did very little. He unplugged the old modem, then phoned and registered the modem. Then he plugged in the new modem and left. Didn't do anything with the new router. Didn't go near a PC. Just said "Thats it" and advised that everything would work as long as those five light are on. Three should be solid and the other two will flash.

Not quite what I'd been led to believe would happen from reading on here.

Haven't had any problems though.