PDA

View Full Version : Advice on moving my broadband connection

steverich
21-08-2009, 22:09
Hi

Apologies in advance for any ignorance on my part, this is all new to me! but can anyone help?

I need to move my Virgin Media broadband connection from an upstairs bedroom (I need to crack on with the nursery!), downstairs to the living room. At present the outside cable box has a splitter, one output straight through the wall into an old Telewest TV/FM Splitter? One side feeding my V+ box the other FM output doing nothing. The other output from the outside box is wired up the side of my house to the bedroom and into a Tratec TRIS-102A isolator? Then into my modem.

Is it possible/advisable to replace the old TV/FM splitter in my living room with a new splitter (I’ve bought a Tratec Ecoline+ ESI-02N) feeding TV one side, broadband the other, or do I need an isolator or something between the splitter and modem.

Is another possibility to simply remove everything from the upstairs bedroom, re-route the cable into the living room and fit the broadband cable box side by side with the TV cable box.

I know I should be giving Virgin Media a call but I think £99 is a bit steep.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Peter_
21-08-2009, 22:27
The cost of £99 provides peace of mind and the certain knowledge that it is going to work first time and prevents a future fault call where an engineer comes out and they find you have tampered with your connection and then they bill you for the callout and for the repair to make good the connection.

Your choice.

fixerman
22-08-2009, 11:13
The cost of £99 provides peace of mind and the certain knowledge that it is going to work first time and prevents a future fault call where an engineer comes out and they find you have tampered with your connection and then they bill you for the callout and for the repair to make good the connection.

Your choice.

That is very sound advice!:)

JayJay
23-08-2009, 18:41
Also, where abouts are you?

Hooking up to the FM will not work, that is the isolator you are referring to, the are very old and you need a replacement, a splitter will be needed because you are going to split your tv cable.

If you are local (devon) i dont mind helping, else its £99 for a piece of mind