PDA

View Full Version : New 50MB connection

HNL3
20-08-2009, 13:22
I've just had a 50mb line installed. When the engineer tested the line with a direct connection to the modem it posted 46mb down and 1.6 up on my laptop.
Now when its hardwired through the supplied router the line consistently shows 34mb/1.6... Is it normal to lose that much bandwith due to going through a router.
I've tried TCP/IP optimizer and am getting similar results.
It just seems odd that 10+MB dropped of the downstream within 30 mins of the engineer leaving..
I need to connect directly into the modem again to confirm... However anyone else see such an impact due to going through the router?

Ignitionnet
20-08-2009, 13:26
Yes, then I switched the stateful firewall off on the underpowered antique and all was good again.

pabscars
20-08-2009, 13:36
I've just had a 50mb line installed. When the engineer tested the line with a direct connection to the modem it posted 46mb down and 1.6 up on my laptop.
Now when its hardwired through the supplied router the line consistently shows 34mb/1.6... Is it normal to lose that much bandwith due to going through a router.
I've tried TCP/IP optimizer and am getting similar results.
It just seems odd that 10+MB dropped of the downstream within 30 mins of the engineer leaving..
I need to connect directly into the modem again to confirm... However anyone else see such an impact due to going through the router?

I would check through the modem first to see if you can get full warp speed through it, if you can then maybe your router's security needs changing (not sure) but you normally get a support telephone number for the router, as in a dedicated 50 meg support number for say Netgear, if that is the make of yours.

You could try giving them a call if you suspect the router is slowing things down.

I,m no expert unlike some on here, but I use the Netgear WNR2000 supplied with my 50 Meg package and when all is well you do get 50 Meg through it.