PDA

View Full Version : I need to have both wired and wireless connection

jamal
20-08-2009, 11:23
Hello there :
I have just joined VM and expecting the engineer to come after 4 days and do install the (Phone,TV and Broadband). I have a desktop and a labtop so I was just wondering if i can get wired ethernet cable connection direct to my desktop and another one to the wireless router VM providing to use on my labtop simultaneously without affecting my total speed and connection. I signed for 20 mb. Do you think the engineer will be able to set it up all for me or I need to call VM and tell them about my requirments.
Please reply me back A.S.A.P before the engineer arrives comming Monday

Thanks alot

Raistlin
20-08-2009, 11:23
Moved to 'Installation Issues' - the section you originally posted in is for articles only, people would have been unable to respond to your request for help.

Pog66
20-08-2009, 11:48
The wireless router provided will have 4 ethernet sockets so get the engineer to install your modem close to your desktop. Not sure if the engineer will set up the router for you so you may have to do it yourself.

One bit of a advice for you - if you have any issues with set up remember to turn everything off - then power back on in the following order - Modem / router / desktop

webcrawler2050
20-08-2009, 11:52
The wireless router provided will have 4 ethernet sockets so get the engineer to install your modem close to your desktop. Not sure if the engineer will set up the router for you so you may have to do it yourself.

One bit of a advice for you - if you have any issues with set up remember to turn everything off - then power back on in the following order - Modem / router / desktop

Engineer won't setup the router, you will have to do that - it's pretty easy - he will leave / should leave various booklets etc.

jamal
20-08-2009, 12:09
Thanks for your replies. So it is going to be like this
1.Virgin cable connected to the modem
2.Ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless router LAN port
3.Another ethernet cable from the router to the desktop ethernet socket
4.after all above i will have my desktop wired and my labtop working on wireless through the router ?!!

webcrawler2050
20-08-2009, 12:11
This is how it will be

1.Virgin cable connected to the modem (White Coax)
2.Ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless router WAN port
3.Another ethernet cable from the router to the desktop ethernet socket *PORT 1 - LAN)

And finally, connected your Laptop / mobile device to the wifi built into the router.

Graham M
20-08-2009, 12:20
Webcrawler to correct you (not picking) 2. should be to the WAN port

webcrawler2050
20-08-2009, 12:22
Webcrawler to correct you (not picking) 2. should be to the WAN port

Typo :D

jamal
20-08-2009, 13:14
Thanks alot guys,will post again when everything is setup