PDA

View Full Version : Additional BB outlet

Fred Fish
20-08-2009, 09:47
My neighbour has a bog standard BB connection with VM and wants another modem and outlet on the same property on the same account.

What sort of cost would that be with VM.

I know she could use a wireless router but for reasons unknown to me she would prefer everything to be hardwired.

Pushkar
20-08-2009, 09:48
Cannot be done.

Kymmy
20-08-2009, 09:50
Sowwy to say but you can only have one modem on each account, The only reason why they'd want two modems I can see is possibly two different IP's, in that case they can go for a business modem and get 5 seperate IP's

Fred Fish
20-08-2009, 10:06
Thanks for the info guys - I guess if she wants to stay hardwired then is a lenght of cat 5.

Thanks again.

danielf
20-08-2009, 10:28
She could try homeplugs, and not have a length of Cat5 running though the house.

savenosouls
20-08-2009, 16:15
She could try homeplugs, and not have a length of Cat5 running though the house.

I use netgear Powerline plugs - out the back of a router in pairs - no problem.

Zhadnost
22-08-2009, 11:52
Can you not still get an extra IP on a home account for an extra £5/month? I can't remember what it was called, but it was for people with games consoles.

Still if it's only to make the wiring tidier, then there's no reason why a second modem at all that extra expense would be any tidier than running a cable and using a router.

Peter_
22-08-2009, 11:54
Can you not still get an extra IP on a home account for an extra £5/month? I can't remember what it was called, but it was for people with games consoles.
Not has not been available for awhile but the are still a few out there until their modem develops a fault then it gets removed from the account.

Zhadnost
22-08-2009, 11:57
Not has not been available for awhile but the are still a few out there until their modem develops a fault then it gets removed from the account.

There's something quite unpleasant about that. I wonder whose idea that was.

Peter_
22-08-2009, 14:16
There's something quite unpleasant about that. I wonder whose idea that was.
It is because the provisioning codes no longer exist on the system as with people who get receive their broadband through a STB when the box breaks they lose connection and it cannot be provisioned again for broadband which means they have to get a modem installed.

Nothing unpleasant it just gets superseded as with all advances in technology.