PDA

View Full Version : VM pushing back install date because of bad scouts, seeking advice

flamescape
19-08-2009, 14:52
Hello Forumites,

Long time reader, first time poster. Looking for some advice.

I bought a Virgin Media cable services bundle at the beginning of this month (2nd August) using the online order form. I chose an installation date for later that week (6th August). It said that they'd send me a confirmation letter in the post to confirm the time and date of installation.

On the day before the desired installation date, no letter had yet arrived. I called up to check if it was still going ahead as scheduled and was told that it had been pushed back to the 14th. They said that this was because some construction work was required. (I saw the spotters pull up outside the house earlier that day. I asked them if i could help with anything and they said no. They were looking all over the neighbourhood for their connection point. They drove off after about 15 minutes of shrugging their shoulders, looking clueless.)

I'd like to point out now that I live in a 2nd floor flat, and my neighbours immediately below me on the 1st floor already receive virgin media cable services. It's a small place, the flats have been converted from what was an old pub/inn. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

I eventually received the welcome pack a week late and then received a phone call a day later. The lady on the phone told me that the installation date had been pushed back even further, to the 20th, citing what I have already been told - that construction work was required.

So it's the 19th today, and call me pessimistic, but i just got a feeling that they wouldn't turn up tomorrow.

Before confirming with my boss that I was ok to take the day off work, I felt it best to check up on the schedule and make sure everything was going to plan.

Can you guess what happened next? I called up VM today and spent a whopping 22 minutes waiting for a guy to eventually tell me that - there is no information on the system about my installation. The installation date has been pushed back to... never. I was told that I now have to wait by my phone until someone from the installation team calls me to give me a new installation date. No ETA. Nothing. I was told categorically that the installation would definitely not be happening tomorrow, all because some construction work needs to be done.

I told the guy on the phone that the flat beneath me receives VM cable already, and they tell me that they "understand" my frustration, and that there is nothing that can be done.

My argument is that they have their facts wrong, and something can be done!

I ask you, CableForum, what can be done?

Many Thanks
-Gareth

virgin_tech
19-08-2009, 20:28
these are regular problems, by virgin media trying to cut costs...

read. the posts called... Oh Dear... and STILL Waiting....

same problems, its getting hard to keep up with similar threads lol

chuzzlemonkey
31-08-2009, 13:11
Was there any progression on your issue at all?

flamescape
31-08-2009, 15:10
I got the chance to call them again on Saturday 22nd, I spoke to a rather clued-up guy.

He told me that the issue was due to the infrastructure not being capable of supporting any more connections. He said that a new cable would have to be laid in order to be able to service me.

My neighbours have told me that they had very similar problems signing up and that they were due to lay another cable for them. They tell me that although the job was planned and was supposed to go ahead, the cable was never laid. So, when the installation team came for their install, they "cheated" and tapped into a cable on another street or something (bit hazy on the details there).

Anyway, the guy on the phone put me through to the pending installations and cancelations department (I think), and they told me that a manager was due to come out on Monday 24th or Tuesday 25th to evaluate the job, and either approve or deny the plans for the work to go ahead.

I called up on Saturday 29th to see what the decision was. Obviously if the work was denied, I need to know. The guy in the call centre told me that the manager in question would call me back within 10-15 minutes.

It's now 2 days later and I'm still waiting for that call.

In any case, if the work was approved it will still take a month before they can even give me an installation date as I was told that it takes 3 weeks to get council permission and 1 week to actually do the work.

Don't know what to do right now, but will probably give them another call within a few days.

jungleguy
01-09-2009, 22:18
Health and Safety restrict VM from installing above 1st floor. Sorry if your flat is not pre-wired you probably won't get installed.

They were not spotters you saw outside your flat, but instead the pulling crew, they pull the cable to your flat.

Was your flat listed on the VM web site?

cheers

flamescape
01-09-2009, 22:35
Yes, the website does list my flat and says that they can provide up to 50meg cable.

It was on that basis that I decided to sign the rental agreement. I can't stand BT or any of their thousands of resellers. They just don't have the technology - and I NEED speed.

jungleguy
01-09-2009, 22:40
H&S maybe the issue here, can't be sure

mikegreen
02-09-2009, 11:45

But surely if this is an issue it should have been flagged way back.

What is the cut off point height wise that he would either 'pass' or 'fail' on?

It's a small place, the flats have been converted from what was an old pub/inn

flamescape
02-09-2009, 11:49
This may be an issue which might come up. But I have no doubts - this is certainly not the issue here.

jungleguy
02-09-2009, 12:41
in the good old days NTL installers height restrictions were the length of their ladders. Height restrictions are a new thing.

flamescape
02-09-2009, 13:56
OK, just made my fifth call to VM.

Just a bit of background here, for the past few calls I've made, I have been calling a British VM callcentre (01642 191401) because the minutes are covered by my mobile phone contract, whereas the freephone number is not. This number also bypasses the robot lady asking me to press her digits; and 2/3 times now, it has gone straight through to an operator without even so much as a ringing tone, let alone hold music. I don't know what department it is, but they seem to be able to transfer me anywhere in the company, so hooray for me!

Anyway, this time, I'm immediately through to the unknown British callcentre again, no queues. After explaining the problem, they transfer my call to the "Installations Team" in India - no queues. After explaining my problem again they say I need to speak to the "Construction Team" and that there was a 10 minute queue. So I told them that I could wait and they transferred me back to UK to speak to them. (call quality rapidly declining after every transfer).

Construction Team picks up after about 5 seconds of hold music. Where was this 10 minute queue I was told exists? This must be, hands down, the fastest response time ever. I congratulated the receiver of my call but she didn't know what the hell I was talking about.

Anyway, she had all my account details and put me on hold to find out some more. She tells me that the manager who was supposed to have come over last week, in fact, didn't. She tells me that there is a manager out today which is scheduled to survey the work this afternoon. She says that she will email me a copy of all the details and I should expect a phone call back when the survey is done.

Sounds like a dream call.

What do you think will happen next? Place your bets now.

chuzzlemonkey
02-09-2009, 14:10
Health and Safety restrict VM from installing above 1st floor. Sorry if your flat is not pre-wired you probably won't get installed.

They were not spotters you saw outside your flat, but instead the pulling crew, they pull the cable to your flat.

cheers

Hi Just wondering. My friends live on the 3rd floor and has VM installed? How come its not against H&S?

jungleguy
02-09-2009, 17:55
Well the cable may have been there before.
or the area he lives in has a long ladder crew, (I reckon they are a myth)
Alot is down to the discretion of the install manager of that specific area, I know some areas do 4th floors, but to manage expectations don't be surprised if your tech turns up and says no.
They can also drill out (and blow a brick) pock cable out from inside and tack to as high as they can go, this is not advisable as the loose cable will get damaged as it gets whipped around by the wind.
They could also pay a private subcontractor to do the work.
I could go, but I won't
cheers

flamescape
03-09-2009, 13:37
OK, just made call number six.

Trivia: The call centre I have been dialing is: the customer relations call centre.

From what I gather, someone didn't come around yesterday. The CR guy told me that he's just spoken to the manager however, and the manager will be calling me back immediately.

That was 10 minutes ago, I still haven't heard the phone ring.

Is my phone broken?

flamescape
03-09-2009, 17:15
I got the call just after 4pm. The guy said he had only just this second been asked to call me.

Take note of that everyone: VM's definition of the word immediately translates to: almost three hours.

Anyway, where to begin with this call? Here goes:

Apparently.... There was someone over on the 7th of August to eye-up the job. This person discovered that the job is in fact doable, but the wire would have to run around/over the door frame. Supposedly, this person reports back that he was approached by the landlord. The landlord said that he didn't want the cable running around the door, and it would have to be done in a different way.

So, the manager and I both agreed that I'd take this up with the property owner and I'd call him back; and if I couldn't get an answer from the owner, he'd call me again tomorrow to let me know about the plans for construction.

So, I called the landlady. Yes, you may wish to re-read that last part. There is no landlord. She tells me that there have never been any objections made and that the story is a complete load of crud. I can also assure you that she is very mentally stable and it is not likely that she had any part in a plot to... annoy and confuse me.

So someone is fibbing or there is some huge misunderstanding. What are the possibilities here?

Someone pretending to be my landlord takes pleasure in the suffering of others
The person who eyed-up the job didn't fancy it and told a lie
Perhaps my neighbour downstairs objected and the VM guy thought it was the landlord?
This manager who just spoke to me is making excuses for their poor-ass installation team?
My landlady IS crazy after all?

Feel free to contribute your own theories.

Anyway, I tried to call the manager back, but only got his voicemail (not surprising really).

I left him a message asking him to call me back, but he's off duty now so maybe I'll get a call from him tomorrow.

I now begin the difficult task of trying to find the truth among all the bullsh*t.

Any thoughts?

mikegreen
03-09-2009, 17:58
I now begin the difficult task of trying to find the truth among all the bullsh*t.

Any thoughts?

And there lies the rub.
In my experience I got told some many, often conflicting, things that I very quickly began to question everything I was told. Not good for me or VM
And as for the amount of times I was promised a call back...:td:
Keep on keeping on though!

virgin_tech
03-09-2009, 19:59
Someone pretending to be my landlord takes pleasure in the suffering of others
The person who eyed-up the job didn't fancy it and told a lie
Perhaps my neighbor downstairs objected and the VM guy thought it was the landlord?
This manager who just spoke to me is making excuses for their poor-ass installation team?
My landlady IS crazy after all?
[/LIST]
Feel free to contribute your own theories.

Anyway, I tried to call the manager back, but only got his voicemail (not surprising really).

I left him a message asking him to call me back, but he's off duty now so maybe I'll get a call from him tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

your landlord if cool and he isn't CRAZY lol.

maybe ur neighbour, go ask...

now wer gettin onto the real issues :) the person who eyed the job up knows it can be done and passed it to the install...

now before any install on here who will moan at me, you guys are good and should be in management in my area..... lots of install contractors are ******s, dont trust a word they say, im sick of em,, and a few have been gotten rid of. (even managers)
keep phoning this manager every 10 mins until he answers pester him until he either sorts you out or changes his phone, or hopefully his job... ..

when finally its all sorted you will have a good service.

sorry.. not helped much but ive vented some anger lol

okun69
03-09-2009, 20:21
Flamescape, have you tried e-mailing the CEO's office ? It's neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk, hopefully you might have more success in getting this problem sorted. Hope this helps, let us know how you get on

flamescape
03-09-2009, 22:09
keep phoning this manager every 10 mins until he answers

I will certainly be calling him tomorrow afternoon if he doesn't return my call in the morning. Maybe I'll leave a couple of messages but I'm not about to start a war with the guy.

have you tried e-mailing the CEO's office?

I don't like to push up front like that. I know they've done wrong by me, but I don't feel like I'm any special case. By the looks of things, this happens all the time.

I'm hoping that now I'm through to a manager, the job will be done soon enough. But I suppose if the lies and buck-passing continues, I will give it a go.

Thanks.

Welshchris
03-09-2009, 23:26

cheers

I can honestly say that this is not the case at all.

Im on a 4th floor flat and when i had VM installed they had 3 teams working 2 on the outside of the building and 1 on the inside.

flamescape
04-09-2009, 13:05
I'm quite happy. Had a couple of calls this morning. Things are looking up.

The aforementioned manager called and we had a chat. He told me that he was going to send someone out to have a look at the cabling job and get them to call me to give me an installation date.

I received another call after that from this other guy. He's going to be coming over to my place tomorrow before noon to discuss where the cables will go and he'll give me an install date there and then.

Note: I'm trying so hard not to mention any names specifically because I want to keep this fairly anonymous, but I'm sure Virgin Media is reading this and probably knows who I am by now. Hello Virgin!

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Review of events.

These dates are 100% accurate.

2009-08-02: Order placed using online application form. 50 megabit broadband bundle with basic TV + Phone. Installation date chosen: 6th August.
2009-08-05: Witnessed a Virgin Media van pull up outside the building. Two guys looking up and down the street for something. I said hello and they confirmed that they were here about my installation. They drove off after 15 minutes. Don't know if they found what they were looking for.
2009-08-05: Called up to confirm that installation was going ahead tomorrow (6th August). Installation pushed back until 14th due to construction work required.
2009-08-07: Retrospective Information Injection: While I was at work, someone from VM came to the property and was approached by someone claiming to be the landlord. The landlord told them that it was not OK to fit the wires around the doorframe; This is the reason why some construction work was needed, to route the cable a different way. (This information was obtained on 3rd September)
2009-08-12: Received welcome pack from VM in the post.
2009-08-13: Received a call from VM callcentre in India. Installation date has been pushed back to 20th August, citing "Construction work required".
2009-08-19: Called up to confirm that installation was going ahead tomorrow (20th August). Installation had been cancelled. Construction work would need to be done before installation could be arranged.
2009-08-22: Called up to find out what was going on. Was told it was an infrastructure problem. A new cable would need to be laid in order to service me. A manager will survey the work on Monday 24th or Tuesday 25th of August.
2009-08-29: Called up to see if the plans have been approved. Was told that a manager would call me back within 15 minutes. No callback received.
2009-09-02: Called up to follow up on the last call. Was informed that the manager due on 24th/25th never came. A manager is scheduled to go out to have a look today (2nd September). I should expect a call back and confirmation email from the manager when the survey is done. No callback or email received.
2009-09-03: Called up to follow up on the last call. Was told that a manager would call me back immediately. Received a call back from a manager three hours later explaining the problem stems from the landlord's objections as opposed to the infrastructure problems previously mentioned. He will call me back tomorrow morning to talk further.
2009-09-04: Received a call from the manager. Informed him that there was no landlord issue. Offered the landlady's phone number to him. He refused, saying he might not need it and was prepared to take my word on it. He told me another guy will call shortly to arrange installation.
2009-09-04: Received a call from installations guy. Arranged for him to meet me at the property tomorrow morning (5th August) to discuss where the cables will run. He will give me an installation date then.

Here's what I noticed:

I was told on the 5th August that the installation had been pushed back due to construction work. This was two days before the manager says that construction work was needed due to the landlord's objections.

This makes me more inclined to think that the manager's landlord excuse was a lie. I mean, afterall, there is no landlord remember? (The property owner actually lives over 100 miles down south, and is not likely to be just casually at the property unless there is a good reason.

chuzzlemonkey
05-09-2009, 10:10
Let us know what happens this morning? :)

flamescape
05-09-2009, 13:08
The guy came today, right on time as promised, even after a mix-up of address.

He told me that I need not call customer services anymore - he is going to take on the job personally.

He showed me exactly what work was needed to be done - the road would need digging up and a box installed against the wall. He showed me where the other box nearby was unable to make any more connections.

He explained to me that because the flat is so high up, H&S will only let them pin the cable to the wall so far. But they'll pull it tight and I'll arrange to have the rest pinned myself.

He gave me an ETA of the construction work being done within three weeks. He expects it will only take one or two. If I get anxious about waiting, he told me to call him on his mobile.

He says that he'll arrange an installation date as soon as the box is ready.

jungleguy
05-09-2009, 16:46
That's good news
was it a spotter that came out?

keyholder
05-09-2009, 16:47
All i can say is i admire your inspiration for the amount of times youve been ****ed about by these idiots.

and you still want to join VM. . . ???

Personally id say 3 weeks is to long. and get o2,be, sky bb in if your close enuff to the exchange.

U say u NEED SPEED, yet they have to put a new conection in the cabinet, due to some other box being over ran, unable to take no more.. . . sounds like you will end up having a crap speed in the end.

Good Luck.

mikegreen
05-09-2009, 17:17
The guy came today, right on time as promised, even after a mix-up of address.

He told me that I need not call customer services anymore - he is going to take on the job personally.

He showed me exactly what work was needed to be done - the road would need digging up and a box installed against the wall. He showed me where the other box nearby was unable to make any more connections.

He explained to me that because the flat is so high up, H&S will only let them pin the cable to the wall so far. But they'll pull it tight and I'll arrange to have the rest pinned myself.

He gave me an ETA of the construction work being done within three weeks. He expects it will only take one or two. If I get anxious about waiting, he told me to call him on his mobile.

He says that he'll arrange an installation date as soon as the box is ready.

Excellent! :woot:

flamescape
05-09-2009, 18:37
That's good news
was it a spotter that came out?
I don't know what he was. He was wearing an orange hi-vis jacket though if that helps. Didn't see a VM van anywhere though, think he took his own car.

All i can say is i admire your inspiration for the amount of times youve been ****ed about by these idiots.

Thanks

and you still want to join VM. . . ???

Personally id say 3 weeks is to long. and get o2,be, sky bb in if your close enuff to the exchange.

Nothing is going to change my mind really. Copper cables vs Fibre optics - it's no contest. Copper cables are already overstretched in what they can do. It's only a matter of time before they reach the utmost limits that the technology can cater. Fibre optics is future-proof.

Until my bits are being transferred at the speed of light, VM can keep pushing the limits. I'll run some speed tests for you when I'm finally hooked up.

U say u NEED SPEED, yet they have to put a new conection in the cabinet, due to some other box being over ran, unable to take no more.. . . sounds like you will end up having a crap speed in the end.
I don't think that's likely. But even still, more chance of better speeds with VM than anywhere else.

Excellent! :woot:
Thanks, but it's not over yet :)

keyholder
06-09-2009, 19:07
I don't think that's likely. But even still, more chance of better speeds with VM than anywhere else.

well shall see :D

Btw copper isnt over stretched as u say, its limiting factor is Length. If it was over strecthed I doubt some of sweedens Colleges / uni's woudnt use it at 100MBs , thats BYTES not BIT'S ! yes speed and quality degrades the longer the distance, thats where fibre comes into action.

Of course fibre is the future, it transfers almost instantanousley & doesnt break down half as fast as copper, But its only as good as the company Using it / providing it! which in this case . . .well ill leave that upto u.

Firbe is also limited via distance but its only single channel fibre can reach over 200km, without speed decreasing & signal loss due to the single lightwave ( i think ) Also the cost is a heck of a ALOT more. but the rest is above my head, broadbandkings nows his stuff on fibre, so he can shed Alot more light :)

Good luck with your install anyhows :D

flamescape
23-09-2009, 13:36
Update time!

I've waited two and a half weeks for them to do the construction work; which still hasn't been done, so I called the guy back today.

Remember the guy who said he'll take the job on? To make this easier to follow, I'm gonna give this guy a faux name. Let's call him Bob.

I tried to call Bob a few times this afternoon but I didn't really want to leave a message on his answerphone, so I left him about five missed-calls.

He called me back soon after and he gave me a run-down on the situation.

From what I gather, Bob is no longer responsible for my area, and has passed the work on to someone who is.

Bob informs me that the construction work is not as simple as first thought. Something has collapsed under the road leaving the cables inaccessable or something to that effect. In fact, they're going to have to dig up the whole road to fix it - and because it's such a narrow road, they're going to have to put up diversion signs and everything!

So, they still don't even have the council go-ahead yet; he's going to get someone more knowledgable of the situation to give me some more information later.

jungleguy
23-09-2009, 16:52
What will happen now is another department will see if its economically viable to dig the road to give you services. Personally I think you should abandon your application. You could wait months and they'll turn round and then tell you its not possible to be installed.

flamescape
23-09-2009, 17:25
Agreed, they aren't gonna like digging up the road just for me - but I'd rather exhaust all avenues with virgin media before even considering going anywhere else.

mikegreen
23-09-2009, 19:14
Agreed, they aren't gonna like digging up the road just for me - but I'd rather exhaust all avenues with virgin media before even considering going anywhere else.

Shame that 'Bob' could not just come out and say that things were this bad for you.

Here's hoping something turns up for you.

flamescape
24-09-2009, 22:03
Quick update:

I called Bob back today around noon. Left a message on his answerphone to remind him to call me back or get someone else to.

I just want to know that something is actually happening and cogs are turning and exactly how long I'm going to have to wait for the next milestone.

No response today, I guess i'll try again tomorrow.

jungleguy
24-09-2009, 22:19
If Bob is an install manager chances are he can't answer the questions you raise. Because this has been passed on.

flamescape
07-10-2009, 14:02
UPDATE TIME!

Another two weeks pass by. Still nothing. So I went back to customer relations today.

If Bob is an install manager chances are he can't answer the questions you raise. Because this has been passed on.

Bob is an Access Field Manager.

Anyway, the guy in CR has passed my account notes to the Access Field Manager for my region (since Bob has moved back to his old region). He's flagged his message as urgent, and expects him to call me back within 48 hours to answer all my questions. The CR guy is going to follow up with me on Monday to see that I'm satisfied with the answers that "new Bob" gives me.

I have the name and access number of the CR guy.

chuzzlemonkey
13-10-2009, 08:34
And 48 hours later..?

flamescape
13-10-2009, 08:51
The Access Field Manager never called me.
The CR guy never called me back to check up.

I'm going to call them at lunch time.

flamescape
13-10-2009, 14:33
I spoke to a nice guy on the CR team today.

Trivia: I'm not even supposed to be calling Customer Relations, as I'm not actually a customer yet.

Apparently the guy from CR that I called last week raised a complaint in my name but neglected to add my phone number to the complaint - which is why I haven't heard anything. The complaint should be dealt with shortly and is already overdue.

The bottom line is: They need to dig up the road. In order to do this, the manager has to check with all the utility companies that digging up the road will not damage their infrastructure. If that returns an all clear, he then has to do a financial evaluation to see if it's worth the cost. Then, he will return his deliberations, whereby I should eventually be notified of his decision and my options.

This process should have been complete over a month ago. Apparently this guy isn't required to submit progress reports on this evaluation process and so I have to wait for him to finish his job without any indication of how much longer it will take.

Apparently the complaints team will give him a boot up the backside and get me a progress report by the end of the week. (But they are only legally obliged to address my complaint within 28 days.)

So, short of any other options, I'm going to sit here and wait for a call - or I'll call again next Monday. Whichever happens first.

fireman328
13-10-2009, 15:43
You must have the patience of Job, I would have cancelled long ago. This saga should be flagged up to the CEO as a tale of woe and missmanagement.

flamescape
13-10-2009, 15:52
You must have the patience of Job
I know they're only testing me. They need to be sure that I will be faithful.

jungleguy
14-10-2009, 08:57
What will happen now is another department will see if its economically viable to dig the road to give you services. Personally I think you should abandon your application. You could wait months and they'll turn round and then tell you its not possible to be installed.

I just thought I'd quote myself from nearly 2 months ago!!!

Got a feeling I might be re quoting this is 2 more months.

Good luck, personally I'd give up.

flamescape
14-10-2009, 09:04
I suppose I'd better quote myself again then as well.

...I'd rather exhaust all avenues with virgin media before even considering going anywhere else.

¬_¬

jungleguy
14-10-2009, 16:18
lol

got to admire your persistence.

flamescape
20-10-2009, 10:58
Sorry, forgot to mention that I spoke to CR again yesterday, lunch time.

They told me that someone from construction would call back in 20-30 mins.

This never happened.

I am going to call again today.

flamescape
20-10-2009, 16:27
I called up again and ended up speaking to the nice CR guy again from last Tuesday. This guy knows the most about my situation.

I told him that the guy from construction failed to call me back yesterday. I hung up while he spoke to a manager from construction about it.

When he called back five minutes later, he told me that since yesterday, a new note has been added to my account and an actual install has been scheduled for 7th November. Apparently a woman from construction has green flagged my installation, but CR guy doesn't know what reason she had for doing it. CR guy told me that he'll get someone to call me back explaining how the circumstances have changed.

I got the call a moment later, but with no explanation. Simply, everything seems to be in order. He also says that a follow-up meeting will take place on the 11th November to "tune-up" my 50meg.

CR guy said he'd give me a courtesy call later to check up that I'm satisfied with what's going on.

My thoughts:
The construction work wasn't done when I left the flat this morning, so I can't see much happening unless they've got construction booked in for some time within the next 2-3 weeks. I really should investigate this.

jungleguy
20-10-2009, 19:05
your thoughts echo my thoughts.

There are two types of construction crew. The everyday one's can dig max 3 meters of pathway, and can be raised easily. Then there are the heavy duty guys that dig much further, and carriageways.

It sounds like your job requires the heavy duty civils crew. My worry is that they've booked the 3m crew not the heavy duty civils crew, and just stuck an install date on it.

Another concern is that you've been given every excuse why the job has failed, from wayleave to construction, its too inconsistent. In circumstances like this a spotter would be useful, they can cut through the BS for you, and put installers under pressure to get the job done.

Lets hope I'll be eating my words.

good luck, keep us posted.

on in an hour!
20-10-2009, 20:31
sorry to add further woe to your already epic tale,but if its carriageway dig the construction team need to do,the AFM will not pass it off due to cost,the only time he gets overidden on these issues is when its an existing sub requiring a repull :(

flamescape
21-10-2009, 23:05
Well the CR guy called me back last night around 8pm ish.

He clarified that the delay was due to the required carriageway dig.

He sounds confident and assures me that he'll personally be looking after my account for the next month or so.

I am not so sure, but here's hoping.

Remember, there is an existing flat below me which requires this box installed too.

flamescape
12-11-2009, 16:43
Hello again,

Update time.

A couple of days after my last post, I received a letter saying the install had been moved from the 7th to the 11th. A couple of days after that, i received a letter saying it had moved back to the 7th.

Still no box has been installed outside my flat.

The 7th came and I met the install crew as they drove down the street looking for the green box. He asked me if I knew why the install had been postponed for so long, so I basically gave him a run down of what has happened over the past three months.

Anyway, when we got to the front of the flat, he simply pulled up a cable from a plug in the pavement, installed a box on the wall and got a cable connected all the way up to the top floor. He couldn't pin it to the wall all the way up because of H&S. I was amazed. Apparently the construction was done after all, though it doesn't look like the whole road was dug up like they said would be needed.

Anyway, the guy with the 50meg modem wasn't booked to come until wednesday, but some guy from VM called me to arrange it to be installed on monday.

I had a router on standby for the modem to be plugged into. My girlfriend let the guy in to install it and apparently he said that my router is rubbish and that he'd brought a better one for us.

Nuts to that; this crappy D-Link he gave us has crashed twice already (happens when I'm downloading at top speed), requiring a reboot to let us back on again.

The wireless-n D-Link USB adapter is also pretty bad - can't handle more than 10-20 concurrent connections it seems. It's painful that I have to stop one application to start another; I've had to pause my usenet downloads to be able to do a DNS lookup of a domain, ugh.

I am now back to using my nice little Linksys WRT54GL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#WRT54GL) router running the latest version of the Tomato firmware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware). It floors the D-Link and is much more stable. I didn't care to look at its feature set, but at a guess, I'd say Tomato wins that one too.

Even with the crappy wireless dongle, I still get top speeds of around 6MiB/s, with the obvious peaks and troughs you'd expect from wireless.

I've got a 15m Ethernet cable I'm gonna lay down tonight, and I'll be able to see what sort of speeds this baby is actually capable of.

saabmania2
12-11-2009, 20:45
well after reading that whole thread i'm exhasted (i bet you are too :-)) anyway how is the speed for you??
and well done for sticking to your guns and getting what you wanted, i know there is hundreds probably thousands that would have given up after the first few weeks (me included) patience is a virtue
happy surfing :-)

flamescape
13-11-2009, 09:53
well after reading that whole thread i'm exhasted (i bet you are too :-))
Yup :)

how is the speed for you??
With the ethernet cable now in, I get a steady 6MiB/s download speed. It's supposed to be 6.25MiB/s (50 Mbit) at top speed, but I'm ok with hitting 6.05MiB/s (48.4 Mbit) at the top end.

well done for sticking to your guns and getting what you wanted, i know there is hundreds probably thousands that would have given up after the first few weeks (me included) patience is a virtue
happy surfing :-)
Thanks. It was totally worth it.

If I were on ADSL, the most I could hope for wouldn't even be half the speed I'm getting now. This is amazing!

Oadbylad
13-11-2009, 11:58
Now you can understand why so many piggy back and hack VM
if the guy in the flat below as VM all they need to do is another spur lol

jungleguy
15-11-2009, 09:17
I've just eaten my hat, I really didn't think this one would get installed. Congratulations

mikegreen
15-11-2009, 09:34
You can get it if you really want
But you must try, try and try
Try and try - you succeed at last!

Congrats!

flamescape
15-11-2009, 12:35
Now you can understand why so many piggy back and hack VM
if the guy in the flat below as VM all they need to do is another spur lol
Yes, I know it's the best service around :)

I've just eaten my hat, I really didn't think this one would get installed. Congratulations
Thanks. :)

But you must try, try and try
Try and try - you succeed at last!

Congrats!
Thank you too. :)

I was contemplating the ADSL alternatives for a little while because my girlfriend was losing patience, but I'm glad we stuck with it - it was totally worth it.

Also, I'm so happy because they don't apply STM to XXL (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php) customers. I LOVE YOU VIRGIN!

No more throttling for me. Truly unlimited internet access.

luellin
17-11-2009, 22:40
hight restrictions do come into play on jobs if your h&s dude is there if there is a way to get it in it can be done if they pull the h$s card they cant be asked to do it.
what area do you live in ? if your downstaird neighbour has cable you could just run off theirs not ideal but tem from there till they can sort out your cable out and when they say there is no capacity thats a lie there always capacity all they need to do is pull a new cable in and get the network engiuneers to add a port ot croning strip for phone lines in the 5 years iv been doing this iv worked in the most congested cabs in the nation and never lost a job for no capacity there is always a way to get a customer on the service just takes some willingness to make a phone call to the right ppl. id say bager the hell out of the manager failing that find out what contract company is doing the installing in your area (avonline/kellys/map) anb pay a visit to there web page and get sontacts off there for the higher ups and complain like hell slating the manager i garentee they kick there asses in gear

flamescape
18-11-2009, 09:15
id say bager the hell out of the manager failing that find out what contract company is doing the installing in your area (avonline/kellys/map) anb pay a visit to there web page and get sontacts off there for the higher ups and complain like hell slating the manager i garentee they kick there asses in gear
How far did you get before you gave up reading this thread? The installation was complete over a week ago. Thanks anyway.

Perhaps someone should lock this thread now? :)

Rik
18-11-2009, 11:26
A very *interesting* read
Glad you got it all sorted in the end :)

luellin
18-11-2009, 21:34
i did reead it all but hey helps someone down the line if they read it

fireman328
18-11-2009, 23:04
What a hero !I was near to tears at the end.

flamescape
19-11-2009, 17:20
A very *interesting* read
Glad you got it all sorted in the end :)
Thanks. :)

What a hero !I was near to tears at the end.
Wow. OK :)

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Oh also,

I received a call from Virgin Media today to ask me what the progress was on my installation.

"Has anyone been in touch with you?"
"Has any work been done yet?"

Hilarious.

There is no communication within this company :)

luellin
19-11-2009, 18:26
trust me i work in installs and feel sorry for customers that put up with that issue think is there is nothing us installers can do about it