PDA

View Full Version : DECT batteries

caveman
18-08-2009, 18:14
Must you buy dedicated DECT phone rechargeable batteries. Or are any NiMh rechareables OK.

MovedGoalPosts
18-08-2009, 18:19
I'm just using standard rechargeables. But then that might depend on your phone, and it's charger system.

caveman
18-08-2009, 18:21
It is a BT synergy base unit with 2 extensions.

Matth
18-08-2009, 22:36
If originally designed for NiCad battery technology, the charging system may not be appropriate for NiMH. Smart charging needs a more sensitive endpoint detection for NiMH, since NiMH generally have a flat delta-V endpoint rather than a dip. Dumb trickle charging is probably equally poor for both technologies.

Not sure if you can still get NiCad, I thought they were banned now, though a few places still seem to have them.

Angua
18-08-2009, 22:52
It is a BT synergy base unit with 2 extensions.

We had those - ended up charging batteries in a charger as the phone charger didn't.

As Matth said as long as you get the same type of rechargeable battery (usually 550) they should be fine.

Welshchris
19-08-2009, 05:41
i got some for a friend of mine that couldnt even get them in places like maplins on ebay.

they were also a damn sight cheaper than what the manufacturer wanted.

hedgie
19-08-2009, 06:47
The NiCd batteries in my Binatone DECT have failed and the charger simply refuses to deal with the NiMH cells I have replaced them with. I had not twigged that NiCd had been phased out. Bu@@er.