PDA

View Full Version : Need help with internet issue

Butters
16-08-2009, 12:14
Hopefully I'm in the right subforum.

I had Virgin Media installed yesterday, and the only way I can use the internet is to connect my Linux laptop directly to the modem. If I connect the router to the modem, the internet light stays amber, and my windows desktop can't access the internet when connected to the modem. I can, however, connect to the router wirelessly fine, just no internet that way.

I don't have a phone, so calling support is not an option (calling on mobile would cost too much). Help.

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 12:16
Have you logged into the router and copied the Mac accross?

Butters
16-08-2009, 12:27
I haven't, as the broadband doesn't mention anything that's remotely technical.

I assume you mean to copy the modem's mac into the router? If so, I'll try that now.

EDIT: Can you describe where I should be putting the modem's mac address? Looking in the router settings, I only see an option to change the router's mac address.

Kymmy
16-08-2009, 12:30
Why would someone want to copy across the MAC address?? (all that would do is keep the same IP??)

Reboot in this order... First the modem...then the router...and then the PC.. Hopefully that'll create the correct IP structure..

Please let us know the IP address the PC gets at the final stage and also if possible what IP address the router is getting (please just post the first two digits XXX.XXX.---.--- )

Peter_
16-08-2009, 12:34
Hopefully I'm in the right subforum.

I had Virgin Media installed yesterday, and the only way I can use the internet is to connect my Linux laptop directly to the modem. If I connect the router to the modem, the internet light stays amber, and my windows desktop can't access the internet when connected to the modem. I can, however, connect to the router wirelessly fine, just no internet that way.

I don't have a phone, so calling support is not an option (calling on mobile would cost too much). Help.
When you connect the modem directly to the router you must reboot the modem ( unplug the power lead for 5 seconds ) or it will think that it is still connected to the laptop as the modem learns the MAC address of whichever piece of equipment that it was last connected to, you may have to reboot the router as well but not always.

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 12:36
Why would someone want to copy across the MAC address?? (all that would do is keep the same IP??)

Reboot in this order... First the modem...then the router...and then the PC.. Hopefully that'll create the correct IP structure..

Please let us know the IP address the PC gets at the final stage and also if possible what IP address the router is getting (please just post the first two digits XXX.XXX.---.--- )

Some routers, you used to have get the MAC address of the modem and copy it into the router to make the router think it was a modem, etc..

Peter_
16-08-2009, 12:38
Some routers, you used to have get the MAC address of the modem and copy it into the router to make the router think it was a modem, etc..
If he is using a Virgin supplied router then the is no requirement for cloning the MAC address, Edimax routers do ask that but can be ignored and still work.

Butters
16-08-2009, 12:38
Thanks guys. Restarting the hardware has got the router working, so all issues are now fixed. Also, really appreciate the quick replies.

Peter_
16-08-2009, 12:39
Thanks guys. Restarting the hardware has got the router working, so all issues are now fixed. Also, really appreciate the quick replies.
That would have been the first thing support would have asked you to do.;)

Kymmy
16-08-2009, 12:47

Errr...No...

Some older connections used to require the registration of the MAC with the modem but not for many a year..

By copying the MAC address from the modem to the router your're actually causing a major problem..

The only time that would work is if you;re using a router with an internal Cable modem which is against VM's T&C's

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 12:48
Errr...No...

Some older connections used to require the registration of the MAC with the modem but not for many a year..

By copying the MAC address from the modem to the router your're actually causing a major problem..

Er... either way. Don't matter now..