PDA

View Full Version : New house - Broadband decision blues

aMac
14-08-2009, 23:49
All right, this isn't solely Virgin Media related, but I trust the opinions of the Cable Forum goers and would appreciate your input.

I've just moved out of my parent's house (for real this time) and I'm lumbered with the decision of which broadband provider to go for.
I'm used to Virgin Media at my old house, and despite the same old issues people on here have every now and again, I have generally been extremely happy with the service and am used to getting the advertised download speed we pay for.

However, what I DON'T need are a land line or a TV package, as I have a perfectly fine mobile contract and I don't watch TV in the first place, but it seems I can't avoid paying for one or both of these things if I want any form of broadband.

What's the best value broadband out there?
As far as VM go, if I want broadband solo it'll cost £20 p/m, which makes it hard not to justify getting BB, phone and TV for £25 p/m. Even if I don't watch TV, I'm sure it will get casually used by other people if it's there I guess.

I'd love to go with o2 BB which is only £7.34 p/m as I'm an o2 customer, but the kicker is needing a BT phone line at £11.25 p/m and it only being "up to" 8 meg.

This house seems to have had Virgin Media installed previously, and there are BT branded white phone sockets that will give a dial tone but won't obviously dial out.

I guess my next question is, does the existence of that phone line mean I can get something like the o2 BB if the line is still connected to the BT exchange, or do I need to be paying line rental for it too?

Thanks for any advice you guys have.

webcrawler2050
14-08-2009, 23:50
Personally, go with VM - you cant get a better service from them - no need for a phone line then either..

cimt
14-08-2009, 23:54
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Type your postcode in there and it will tell you what providers you can get. This link below will also tell you the speed you may get if you go for ADSL.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Ben B
14-08-2009, 23:54
Hi,

Unfortunately, you DO need to pay BT Line Rental because otherwise they have no number to assign the broadband to. The 10mb broadband with phone and free TV might be useful to you if you had them, especially since you get unlimited weekend landline calls with that. It's up to you, if it was me i'd get the BB, Telly and Phone for £25.

Ben :)

superbiatch
14-08-2009, 23:55
You might find that BT don't charge for a line - there was a thread on here earlier so have a search...

PS They didn't charge me ;)

aMac
15-08-2009, 00:14
Thanks for your input, guys.

While writing out the original post, I pretty much convinced myself that the VM bundle package would be the best deal. I'll have to convince my housemate of the same.

I'm interested about what you mean though, SB. You mean you didn't have to pay for reconnection to BT or they don't charge you line rental? The idea of the latter intrigues me!

superbiatch
15-08-2009, 00:26
I'm interested about what you mean though, SB. You mean you didn't have to pay for reconnection to BT or they don't charge you line rental? The idea of the latter intrigues me!

I wish so, but unfortunately not! I'm at the stage where I pay sky for my line rental though which is cheaper than BT ;)

But i did save the £124 on installation (i think the bacon sarnie did it :D)

webcrawler2050
15-08-2009, 00:30
Well, if there is no BT line there already, BT will charge you £120 + for installing the line - then you have to wait 48 hours before you can even try to order broadbadn then 5 - 7 working days. Where as, VM, will charge £30 to install the lot.

Ben B
15-08-2009, 00:40
Well, if there is no BT line there already, BT will charge you £120 + for installing the line - then you have to wait 48 hours before you can even try to order broadbadn then 5 - 7 working days. Where as, VM, will charge £30 to install the lot.

Or nothing if you order online from VM :)

nodrogd
15-08-2009, 00:42
You may not need to pay line rental to BT. If you are lucky enough to be connected to an unbundled LLU exchange you can pay rental to your chosen provider instead. A search at Samknows as mentioned earlier should tell you whats available where you are.

aMac
15-08-2009, 01:04
You may not need to pay line rental to BT. If you are lucky enough to be connected to an unbundled LLU exchange you can pay rental to your chosen provider instead. A search at Samknows as mentioned earlier should tell you whats available where you are.

That's interesting. According to SamKnows, o2 have LLU enabled on my exchange (which I also now know is less than a mile away) but I'll admit to knowing little to nothing about LLU how the unbundling will affect me, besides what I read on the SamKnows site.

Wonnov Menny
15-08-2009, 01:23
One more thing to bear in mind, if you include TV in the bundle, you will also need to buy a TV license, even if you don't watch TV.

aMac
15-08-2009, 01:28
One more thing to bear in mind, if you include TV in the bundle, you will also need to buy a TV license, even if you don't watch TV.

A true and valid point.

I'd admit right now that I've got a TV in the house hooked up to a DVD player / game console. No one is going to make me feel morally guilty for not having a TV license for it as it is, but I'd do it if a receiver was hooked up.

webcrawler2050
15-08-2009, 01:29
That's interesting. According to SamKnows, o2 have LLU enabled on my exchange (which I also now know is less than a mile away) but I'll admit to knowing little to nothing about LLU how the unbundling will affect me, besides what I read on the SamKnows site.

If I had the choice between 02 and VM - VM would win hands down all the time. Just remember, you don't know how over contended that ADSL exchange is, etc. I would go with fibre each and everytime..

aMac
15-08-2009, 01:49
If I had the choice between 02 and VM - VM would win hands down all the time. Just remember, you don't know how over contended that ADSL exchange is, etc. I would go with fibre each and everytime..

You're right.
Also, speaking with a friend, he reminded me about VM's refer-a-friend program, so both of us should be able to get a bonus £50 on our accounts which is always appreciated.

I think VM is looking like my best bet after all. Deciding between just BB and the bundle (plus tv license) will be the next debate, but I'll save that for when I speak to my housemate.

Thanks again, guys.

Wonnov Menny
15-08-2009, 04:26
This may also help swing the decision VM's way... Get £150 cashback when signing up for VM services via quidco. I've never used quidco myself but after seeing what others have said, I signed up tonight. Just wish I knew about them sooner.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33654002-150-cashback-on-virgin-cable.html

caph
16-08-2009, 13:36
aMac, you might want to check with someone else on 10Mb in your immediate vacinity that cable BB in your area isn't oversubscribed. In my area those on 10Mb are lucky to get 1Mb in the evening and frequently get under 1/2Mb. That said, I believe you can sign up, try it and then cancel within certain number of days if it isn't up to scratch, so you've not really got anything to lose by trying it out for yourself in your new area.

And just clarify about the phone line for ADSL, you HAVE to pay the line rental whether you go with BT or LLU and they all charge about a tenner a month.

Kursk
16-08-2009, 13:59
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/avatars/19064.gif?dateline=1242427897&type=thumb

ROFL great avatar SB :D!