PDA

View Full Version : VM poor quality service

DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
12-08-2009, 22:16
I know that VM are probably the best of a bad bunch for internet service providers, but since my upgrade to 10mb i seem to only get anywhere near 10mb in the early hours of the morning. Between 9pm and 1am i'm getting around 4-5mb, then just before i go to bed at 2am, bang, i get 9-10mb......to be honest VM is giving a **** poor service compared to what NTL gave. I know sky, BT and others are no better maybe even worse than VM, but c'mon 4-5mb between 9pm and 1am is a **** poor service.

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 22:43
Is the poor language necessary..

First off ..

Can you post your power levels

Secondly, how are you connected to your Virgin media modem? Wifi, ethernet?

Thirdly, can you ping www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk)

fourth, can you provide a tracroute -- tracert www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk)

If you arn't going to provide solid evidence about your service, please don't use that kinda language on this forum. It's very annoying, to find, people who just rant and generally have no evidence. No wonder why no one replied?! With that attitude..

Maggy
12-08-2009, 23:11
I know that VM are probably the best of a bad bunch for internet service providers, but since my upgrade to 10mb i seem to only get anywhere near 10mb in the early hours of the morning. Between 9pm and 1am i'm getting around 4-5mb, then just before i go to bed at 2am, bang, i get 9-10mb......to be honest VM is giving a **** poor service compared to what NTL gave. I know sky, BT and others are no better maybe even worse than VM, but c'mon 4-5mb between 9pm and 1am is a **** poor service.

Please do not swear.Yes we have a swear filter but it is still apparent what you are trying to say and it causes offence.Please remember this IS a family orientated forum.I am amending the title as well.

caph
12-08-2009, 23:15
You need to eliminate your wifi as a potential cause by checking speeds hard wired just in case someone near you is switching on a wifi device on the same channel at the times you suffer most.

Ideally you should also confirm the speed drops with another PC.

Make sure your modem power levels aren't too extreme.

Having done all that, you need to log this on the support newsgroup ASAP and get a fault reference number. If they don't get it sorted within three months then you can take it to CISAS and unless they resolve it you will be in line for some substantial recompense.

@ Webcrawler. Calm down, sit down, and count to ten before replying in future. Some people ARE receiving a **** poor service from VM and have been for years. Don't shoot the messenger.

Maggy
12-08-2009, 23:21
You need to eliminate your wifi as a potential cause by checking speeds hard wired just in case someone near you is switching on a wifi device on the same channel at the times you suffer most.

Ideally you should also confirm the speed drops with another PC.

Make sure your modem power levels aren't too extreme.

Having done all that, you need to log this on the support newsgroup ASAP and get a fault reference number. If they don't get it sorted within three months then you can take it to CISAS and unless they resolve it you will be in line for some substantial recompense.

@ Webcrawler. Calm down, sit down, and count to ten before replying in future. Some people ARE receiving a Mod Edit poor service from VM and have been for years. Don't shoot the messenger.

What did I just say to the OP? :rolleyes:

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 23:23
@ Webcrawler. Calm down, sit down, and count to ten before replying in future. Some people ARE receiving a **** poor service from VM and have been for years. Don't shoot the messenger.

It's not about the service he is "getting" It's about the simple, fact, the OP came to the forum effing and beeing and providing no "evidence" of his "poor service" which is highly annoying. People, come to forums to blat out their rants, providing no evidence etc etc. Just foul mouths.

DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
13-08-2009, 01:02
Firstly, my apologies for the bad language, i'm just a tad disappointed that the best speeds i'm getting is when i'm about to go to bed. Therefore i'm not getting the benefits of my 10mb upgrade. here is the info from my modem.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.0 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 43.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Yes i'm on a wireless network via a new PCI wireless card, i just bought a new 54mbps router as my old 11mbps one could not handle 10mb connection. Yes i have scanned for networks with my wireless network software, yes there are other networks showing, but all are on channel 1 and 11, i'm set to channel 6. I always check for other networks in my range using the same channel as my network....if i find a network using the same channel i log into my router and change channel.
Again sorry for the outburst in my OP.

webcrawler2050
13-08-2009, 01:09
Right,

Now could you try ethernet?

Power levels look a little high, can somebody confirm?

Ben B
13-08-2009, 01:13
Right,

Now could you try ethernet?

Power levels look a little high, can somebody confirm?

Downstream could be a little lower

DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
13-08-2009, 01:41
I'll try connected straight to modem tomorrow....bed time now and i don't want to lug my PC and monitor downstairs at this time in morning.....i'll post results tomorrow.

moaningmags
13-08-2009, 01:47
I'd change from 6 to either 1, 11 or something in between around 8 or 9.
Every customer on a netgear router I speak to the first thing I do is change the channel away from 6.

Ignitionnet
13-08-2009, 03:26
I dunno given that ntl gave you 2Mbit I'd say the 4-5 you are getting at peak times from VM is quite an improvement.

It's the school holidays which increases network load, and to be honest 4-5 isn't ideal but is hardly urine poor.

Raise it with VM and see if there's a relief date scheduled for the extra capacity to go in.

caph
13-08-2009, 18:31
What did I just say to the OP? :rolleyes:

I don't know because our posts crossed ... obviously ... look at the times. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

It's not about the service he is "getting" It's about the simple, fact, the OP came to the forum effing and beeing and providing no "evidence" of his "poor service" which is highly annoying. People, come to forums to blat out their rants, providing no evidence etc etc. Just foul mouths.

The OP was obviously upset about the appalling 10Mb speeds he is getting in the evenings. Having a go at him is not helping.

If you don't like the post ignore it. And for god's sake calm down. You're going to give yourself a heart attack.

webcrawler2050
13-08-2009, 19:44
The OP was obviously upset about the appalling 10Mb speeds he is getting in the evenings. Having a go at him is not helping.

If you don't like the post ignore it. And for god's sake calm down. You're going to give yourself a heart attack.

Well...

is there a need to eff and bee, in a family forum? No..

You have no idea, how frustrating this is, I see it day in day out - people, moaning and not speaking to tech support, which the OP clearly hasn't done. They come here for, help. I wasn't having a go at him, mearly pointing out, if he swears no one will help.

caph
15-08-2009, 00:36
Well...

is there a need to eff and bee, in a family forum? No..

You have no idea, how frustrating this is, I see it day in day out - people, moaning and not speaking to tech support, which the OP clearly hasn't done. They come here for, help. I wasn't having a go at him, mearly pointing out, if he swears no one will help.

OK, Webcrawler, fair point.

DJ, have you managed to eliminate other causes?

DJ PSYCHOTRANCE
15-08-2009, 17:09
Yesterday i connected PC straight into modem and was only getting 6-7mb, so i decided to reboot modem, and last night i was getting pretty much a constant 9.8-9.89mb on my wireless connection......so it seems my modem needed a reboot to sort the problem. Spoke to my brother last night, who's friend is a VM network engineer who said that with so much upgrading going on that sometimes connection speeds will fluctuate, and that sometimes a simple modem reboot will sort speed issues out.

Thanks for your help guys and gals.....and once again my apologies for my language in first post.

webcrawler2050
16-08-2009, 01:57
Yesterday i connected PC straight into modem and was only getting 6-7mb, so i decided to reboot modem, and last night i was getting pretty much a constant 9.8-9.89mb on my wireless connection......so it seems my modem needed a reboot to sort the problem. Spoke to my brother last night, who's friend is a VM network engineer who said that with so much upgrading going on that sometimes connection speeds will fluctuate, and that sometimes a simple modem reboot will sort speed issues out.

Thanks for your help guys and gals.....and once again my apologies for my language in first post.

Thats a bit of luck then chap! Glad it's sorted for you..