PDA

View Full Version : Bullied into contract by spotter?

x-cell
12-08-2009, 13:01
I'm moving to a new house soon and what to get cable.

The house is not listed as a serviceable address on the virgin web site so after many times of trying I had a spotter come out. He said it is serviceable and signed me up to contract saying he match any deal online. I'm still waiting to move so I have a install date of the 22nd.

Now at the moment quidco offer £150 cash back for new cable customers. http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/ I've also spotted my address has now appeared on the virgin website on the postcode search. Pretty good deal. Clearly this spotter is not going to give the cashback deal so I asked to cancel and sign up online. I did say sorry but it is 150 quid!

Anyway he got very shirty and said I can go back to BT then and he would mark my house down as unserviceable again. He said Virgin are already spending £300 on the installation to make my house serviceable and because by house is a special case I could not use these 3rd party cashback deals.

What do think, can he do that? Advice?

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 13:29

stick with the spotter - if they have done the work and got everything sorted for you, then VM will not be making a *profit* on your services for a little while..

Personally, it's like going to Asda, buying your shopping, "testing" them and them taking them back, saying Tesco give me 50% extra, can I have my money back..

Similar situation..

haydnwalker
12-08-2009, 13:38
I didn't know the spotters even signed people up? I thought they were just there to see if the house was practicably serviceable by the network??? I thought normally after the spotters had been a VM rep phoned and advised that you were serviceable etc etc?

x-cell
12-08-2009, 14:06
Yea he came into my place where I am now and signed me up to a contract. They get the commision.

His job should be to check the house out and see if its serviceable then report to Virgin on what needs to be done. Clearly now they make money on who they can sign up. Hes now saying he will tell virgin the house is unserviceable if he doesn't get his commision. Surely that is not right?

punky
12-08-2009, 14:12
To threaten to make your address deserviceable is apalling. Anyone that vindictive and punative should not be employed by VM. I'd complain.

haydnwalker
13-08-2009, 16:54
Hes now saying he will tell virgin the house is unserviceable if he doesn't get his commision. Surely that is not right?

I'd call his bluff but screen shot the VM website where it shows as serviceable now then you have something to go on if he really does do it and they are more likely to make it serviceable again.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Along with phoning up and telling the CS rep what the spotter said and ask if he's within his rights to do so.

Stuart
13-08-2009, 18:00
I'm moving to a new house soon and what to get cable.

The house is not listed as a serviceable address on the virgin web site so after many times of trying I had a spotter come out. He said it is serviceable and signed me up to contract saying he match any deal online. I'm still waiting to move so I have a install date of the 22nd.

Now at the moment quidco offer £150 cash back for new cable customers. http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/ I've also spotted my address has now appeared on the virgin website on the postcode search. Pretty good deal. Clearly this spotter is not going to give the cashback deal so I asked to cancel and sign up online. I did say sorry but it is 150 quid!

Anyway he got very shirty and said I can go back to BT then and he would mark my house down as unserviceable again. He said Virgin are already spending £300 on the installation to make my house serviceable and because by house is a special case I could not use these 3rd party cashback deals.

I don't know what they will do, but if VMs spotters are bullying people. VM need to know.

If you send me your real name, address, address of the house you want service at, account number (if possible) and a contact phone number, I will refer this to the site's contacts within VM.