PDA

View Full Version : bringing broadband into the house

kim
11-08-2009, 23:42
can someone help me please?

I want to install broadband into our house myself. I can see a coax cable hanging outside the house by the box, which I presume is the connection for this.
This was probably done at the same time the telephone connection was done many years ago.

So do I just extend this coax into my house and that will do it?

Please explain how it works. Thanks

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

i also need to know what is inside that box which they mount when they do the installations.

I have heard there is an isolator and a booster or attenuator? could someone open up the box to tell me?

BenMcr
11-08-2009, 23:43
There is a simple answer to this.

You cannot install services yourself - unless the house already has the appropriate connections installed by Virgin

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 00:18
can someone help me please?

I want to install broadband into our house myself. I can see a coax cable hanging outside the house by the box, which I presume is the connection for this.
This was probably done at the same time the telephone connection was done many years ago.

So do I just extend this coax into my house and that will do it?

Please explain how it works. Thanks

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

i also need to know what is inside that box which they mount when they do the installations.

I have heard there is an isolator and a booster or attenuator? could someone open up the box to tell me?

Ben, You will be able to answer this, isn't "fiddling" with VM cables "outside" the property, against T&C?

BenMcr
12-08-2009, 01:04
Well you do have section A1 which says

Where we need to install equipment at your home, we will make every effort to fit the equipment where you prefer. However, in some circumstances this may not be possible because of technical or other reasons. If this is the case, we will connect the equipment as we see fit. We will also supply any necessary additional equipment when we fit the equipment. Please do not move any existing equipment. Should you wish to alter the routing of any existing equipment such as cables or wall sockets, you should contact us.

kim
12-08-2009, 03:09
ok well one question: Whats inside the box which they mount on the wall when they install broadband?

Peter_
12-08-2009, 06:30
ok well one question: Whats inside the box which they mount on the wall when they install broadband?
What is inside is immaterial as you will break the Terms and Conditions of any future contract as previously stated above.

If you want broadband from Virgin then you need to contact Virginmedia Customer Services on 0845 454 1111 for information and costs for an installation.

Maggy
12-08-2009, 09:38
We are NOT going to discuss ways and means of obtaining Virgin Media services or indeed any other suppliers services without paying for them.

Kymmy
12-08-2009, 10:10
Best place to get your question answered is HERE (http://community.virginmedia.com/), they'll be able to fully explain how to connect the cable.

:tu: