PDA

View Full Version : New 50MB install Router questions

stuartgeary
11-08-2009, 22:03
Hi all i'm new to this forum. Im coming from a Sky ADSL 12mb line to your new VM 50mb line tomorrow, and I have a few questions.

I've seen the posts on the netgear and the new dlink router supplied with the 50mb connection. And I ask:

Are they both still using 10/100mb routers - the dlink isnt even a Gigabyte LAN?

Is it easy to use another router as i currently have an Edimax BR-657n (4 port gigabyte and WAN connection) router which has a WAN port for the cable modem to fit into? - Is this feasible?/better than the netgear/dlink

As is it easy to configure?

It was a pain to config it with my sky setup as i had it linked to Skys netgear ADSL modem/router first and then to the Edimax

I hope this will be a simple install and I attain a 50mb link plus keep my NAs and 5 pcs on a 1000 Lan - any tips during/after engineer installation?

thanks in advance

BenMcr
11-08-2009, 23:26
Hi all i'm new to this forum. Im coming from a Sky ADSL 12mb line to your new VM 50mb line tomorrow, and I have a few questions.

I've seen the posts on the netgear and the new dlink router supplied with the 50mb connection. And I ask:

Are they both still using 10/100mb routers - the dlink isnt even a Gigabyte LAN?Yes they are

Is it easy to use another router as i currently have an Edimax BR-657n (4 port gigabyte and WAN connection) router which has a WAN port for the cable modem to fit into? - Is this feasible?/better than the netgear/dlinkYou would be able to use it as it doesn't have a ADSL modem in it

As is it easy to configure?Yes - you just plug it in. Virgin used DHCP so there is no configuration needed

I hope this will be a simple install and I attain a 50mb link plus keep my NAs and 5 pcs on a 1000 Lan - any tips during/after engineer installation?If you ask him to the engineer will just install the modem and leave the router set up to you