PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb modem signal levels

KillswitchEdge
11-08-2009, 13:46
Hey guys,

I'm just curious what the recommended signal levels are for the 50Mb service. Are they any different to the 20Mb and below?

The reason I ask is for the last week my connection has been practically none-existent. It went down all day last Tuesday until 10pm when it magically came back online, on Wednesday morning I needed to restart my modem, same story Thursday. However on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday it was down (came back on Monday night at 11:30pm) and went down again this morning at around 11am, but a restart fixed it. I checked my signal levels on the modem page, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to be higher with it being a different modem.

I rang VM on the Friday morning and asked if they could check, but they couldn't get any readings from my modem as the "Ready"/"Tick" light refused to come on. It was the same story throughout the entire week, with the modem refusing to connect. The chap I spoke to on the phone said that it was really odd because there were apparently zero reports of problems in my area, not even slow speed reports, so they're sending an engineer out and he's supposedly due tomorrow afternoon, but I'm just wondering if I could get a heads up from some of you knowledgeable peeps so I could perhaps know in advance what to expect when the engineer arrives.

Downstream Power Levels:

DS-1: 7.98 dBmV / 36.39dB
DS-2: 8.37 dBmV / 36.84dB
DS-3: 8.49 dBmV / 37.09dB
DS-4: 8.19 dBmV / 37.36dB

Upstream Power Level:

US-1: 58.21 dBmV

Not sure if there's any other information you'd need, but if there is I'd be happy to provide it.

So what do you guys think? They look a lot higher than my old 20mb modem levels, but as I said, I'm not sure if that's supposed to be the case.

Cheers for any help guys, hopefully my connection will stay up long enough for me to both post this and check replies later ;)

KsE

Ben B
11-08-2009, 13:49
Hi, power levels are same for 50mb http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

:)

KillswitchEdge
11-08-2009, 13:52
Ah cheers Ben, in that case it looks like my modem's Downstream Receive Power levels and Upstream Receive Power levels are a bit high then, would I be right in that assessment?

Hopefully that's fixable tomorrow then when the engineer arrives :)

Ben B
11-08-2009, 13:55
Ah cheers Ben, in that case it looks like my modem's Downstream Receive Power levels and Upstream Receive Power levels are a bit high then, would I be right in that assessment?

Hopefully that's fixable tomorrow then when the engineer arrives :)

Yep your right, the engineer will be able to sort them out :)

KillswitchEdge
11-08-2009, 14:02
Brilliant, cheers mate, much appreciated :)