PDA

View Full Version : Text on VM Landline Phone

sparky621
11-08-2009, 12:28
I am currently in the process of swapping from a BT to a VM phone line (line is in but on temporary number waiting for the BT number to be ported-but that's another story:td:). Once sorted I want to enable texting. I have caller id setup already and texting on the handset has been set up already when on BT so...is it just a case of sending "register" to 0000 as I am led to believe that the centre numbers are specific to the make of handset not the phone line?
Thanks,
Sparky

Ben B
11-08-2009, 12:33
Here you go: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/telephone/virgin-media-text.php

nutellajunkie
06-09-2009, 21:05
confusing little PDF that. some of it really needs updating too.. Perhaps someone not as lazy as I could spot how much it is to send a text message?

Alien
18-11-2009, 11:34
confusing little PDF that. some of it really needs updating too.. Perhaps someone not as lazy as I could spot how much it is to send a text message?
No they couldn't, it's not in any of their pricing PDFs [or it wasn't last week when I checked]. I ended up calling customer services, & asked them, and was told that it's 15p to send a text from a VM landline.

I am currently in the process of swapping from a BT to a VM phone line (line is in but on temporary number waiting for the BT number to be ported-but that's another story:td:). Once sorted I want to enable texting. I have caller id setup already and texting on the handset has been set up already when on BT so...is it just a case of sending "register" to 0000 as I am led to believe that the centre numbers are specific to the make of handset not the phone line?
I don't know how being a former BT customer affects things for you [I've never been a BT customer], if at all, but as my old handset recently died I decided I'd get 1 with a few more features, which includes text messaging.

Having looked at VM's page on the subject, and trying both the suggestions there & in the phone's manual, & not having any luck with either, I gave customer services a ring to see if they could give me the SMS centre numbers for VM. The girl I spoke to had no clue, so we ended up agreeing that I'd give the manufacturer [Siemens/Gigaset] helpline a call & see if they knew anything that might help.

S/G tech support agreed with me that it seemed like I had the wrong SMS centre numbers [it had 2 already stored - apparently they're for incoming & outgoing messages, kinda like pop & smtp with email], so I called VM again, only to be told [eventually, after they spent several minutes trying to find any info about the issue] that the text to/from landline service is not available in my area. I suppose it might be true, but I get the feeling that I was just being fobbed off because they couldn't find the answer.

Oh, & before anyone asks, yes I have got caller ID enabled. ;)

Digital Fanatic
19-11-2009, 01:05
No they couldn't, it's not in any of their pricing PDFs [or it wasn't last week when I checked]. I ended up calling customer services, & asked them, and was told that it's 15p to send a text from a VM landline.

I don't know how being a former BT customer affects things for you [I've never been a BT customer], if at all, but as my old handset recently died I decided I'd get 1 with a few more features, which includes text messaging.

Having looked at VM's page on the subject, and trying both the suggestions there & in the phone's manual, & not having any luck with either, I gave customer services a ring to see if they could give me the SMS centre numbers for VM. The girl I spoke to had no clue, so we ended up agreeing that I'd give the manufacturer [Siemens/Gigaset] helpline a call & see if they knew anything that might help.

S/G tech support agreed with me that it seemed like I had the wrong SMS centre numbers [it had 2 already stored - apparently they're for incoming & outgoing messages, kinda like pop & smtp with email], so I called VM again, only to be told [eventually, after they spent several minutes trying to find any info about the issue] that the text to/from landline service is not available in my area. I suppose it might be true, but I get the feeling that I was just being fobbed off because they couldn't find the answer.

Oh, & before anyone asks, yes I have got caller ID enabled. ;)

AFAIK if you've got caller display it works... are you in an ExNTL area by chance?

Alien
19-11-2009, 05:44
are you in an ExNTL area by chance?
Yep. Does that make a difference?

dilli-theclaw
19-11-2009, 09:27
MMMmmm when i was paying BT for my phone line I could get and send texts perfectly now that I pay virgin I can't.

Nice to see you posting again Alien by the way :) :tu:

Digital Fanatic
19-11-2009, 12:53
Yep. Does that make a difference?

Possibly... I could be getting my wires crossed here though (no pun intended! :D )

I know all exTelewest areas can get it... might be worth trying Customer Care again?

Alien
19-11-2009, 23:16
MMMmmm when i was paying BT for my phone line I could get and send texts perfectly now that I pay virgin I can't.
The cynical part of me wonders if maybe BT has something to do with that, seeing as you're an "off-net" [or whatever it's called] VM customer that still has to access your services via BT's network. I seem to remember hearing something about BT causing problems for people who'd switched to VM in the past. :shrug:

Nice to see you posting again Alien by the way :) :tu:
Cheers dude. :cool:

Possibly... I could be getting my wires crossed here though (no pun intended! :D )

I know all exTelewest areas can get it... might be worth trying Customer Care again?
Any ideas on what to say to them?

Digital Fanatic
20-11-2009, 00:29
Any ideas on what to say to them?

You might be better ringing Faults on 151 rather than Customer Care now thinking about it.. I know when I worked in Faults (some time ago now!) it was something we dealt with.... or you could try the guys & gals on the VM Newsgroups? virginmedia.support.telephony

Alien
20-11-2009, 23:13
You might be better ringing Faults on 151 rather than Customer Care now thinking about it.. I know when I worked in Faults (some time ago now!) it was something we dealt with.... or you could try the guys & gals on the VM Newsgroups? virginmedia.support.telephony
Thanks, I'll try faults tomorrow.

Paul
28-11-2009, 17:56
Anyone got any further with this.

I have a BT Verve 450 and cannot get the text system to work. It just says "Message Failed". The service centre numbers are correct according to the manual, but surely they are BT numbers, they will be different numbers for Virgin Media Lines ? - does anyone know what they should be ?