PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WNR2000

beanie
10-08-2009, 20:27
My Netgear WNR2000 Router rebooted itself on it's own. Is this normal? I cant see any firmware updates recently.

Remote Management is disabled so I doubt it was anyone having a hack.

zerolight
11-08-2009, 16:37
I'm not even planning on taking mine out the box. Last netgear I had was really unreliable, and this one, from the google I just did, is no different. I got mine as part of the 50mb package... do I own it, or does it belong to virgin?

beanie
11-08-2009, 16:41
I'm not even planning on taking mine out the box. Last netgear I had was really unreliable, and this one, from the google I just did, is no different. I got mine as part of the 50mb package... do I own it, or does it belong to virgin?

It remains the property of Virgin. It's an easy to work out really. If you have a receipt for it, you own it, if you dont, you dont!

ferret76
11-08-2009, 22:31
i dont have a receipt for my sky hd box its my property :)

Matt-08
11-08-2009, 23:03
Well I've been using a WNR200 for a couple of months now and I have to say it has been FANTASTIC...and best of all you can place it vertically..which is what I wanted (short of space)

Peter_
11-08-2009, 23:09
i dont have a receipt for my sky hd box its my property :)
The contract with the initial payment on and the copy of the install sheet that you signed when the engineer installed your box are proof that the box is yours.

dd11
11-08-2009, 23:17
As of yet mine hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. I think it's great router, the wireless is fantastic and I've always got a strong signal. Goes half way down my street infact! (gd security too).

beanie
11-08-2009, 23:37
There is only one issue I have had with the router:

My computer was getting a Max Download rate of 1Mbps because the Speed & Duplex setting on my NIC was set to '100 Mb Full' rather than 'auto'.

It took about 4 weeks to find the issue!

Peter_
11-08-2009, 23:39
There is only one issue I have had with the router:

My computer was getting a Max Download rate of 1Mbps because the Speed & Duplex setting on my NIC was set to '100 Mb Full' rather than 'auto'.

It took about 4 weeks to find the issue!
Thats not the router but the default setting on your computer.

beanie
11-08-2009, 23:43
Thats not the router but the default setting on your computer.

It worked fine with the cable modem like that. Just the router would not work at correct speeds with that setting. The bloke on the virgin helpdesk said that it should support that setting and it's a compatability issue.

Correct me if im wrong please.

Peter_
11-08-2009, 23:48
It worked fine with the cable modem like that. Just the router would not work at correct speeds with that setting. The bloke on the virgin helpdesk said that it should support that setting and it's a compatability issue.

Correct me if im wrong please.
All you needed to do was change to Full Duplex and you should have been advised of that but it is on your machine so not actually within Virgins support scope, depends on the person you speak to in the end.

Duplex setting are nothing to do with compatibility its just a setting that can be changed and the vast majority are usually set to Auto negotiation.

beanie
11-08-2009, 23:52
I think it was set to Auto when I had this laptop, im quite sure that I did actually change it myself. Just seems a bit weird that it doesnt work on that setting but the cable modem does.

Just one of those things I guess! And my fault for changing the setting.

Peter_
11-08-2009, 23:58
I think it was set to Auto when I had this laptop, im quite sure that I did actually change it myself. Just seems a bit weird that it doesnt work on that setting but the cable modem does.

Just one of those things I guess! And my fault for changing the setting.
That is a wireless setting you changed not a Lan setting so should make no difference when connected to the modem

beanie
12-08-2009, 00:03
Im confused. Thats was a setting for the built in NIC card on my laptop.

Peter_
12-08-2009, 00:06
Im confused. Thats was a setting for the built in NIC card on my laptop.
It usually matters more on the wireless side but best to change on the LAN as well if on 50Mb.

beanie
12-08-2009, 00:19
It usually matters more on the wireless side but best to change on the LAN as well if on 50Mb.

Ok thanks. I know it's off topic, just been looking at the Virgin News Groups, good stuff!

zing_deleted
12-08-2009, 00:37
Ok ive seen this a few times where people say the router remains the property of VM

The Legal Stuff

Free wireless router offer for L and XL: Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services (subject to status and credit checks). Wireless router for XXL: Wireless router and adaptor are included your package. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.
Due to the nature of wireless technology, you won't receive the same broadband speeds that are possible when connecting directly to your modem/router via an Ethernet cable. Our wireless router is only compatible with computers that are wireless enabled. If you do not have a wireless-enabled computer, you may be able to upgrade your computer using our wireless USB adapter or our wireless laptop card. Wireless performance may be affected by a number of factors, such as thickness of internal walls, the presence of electrical equipment and the actual positioning of the wireless router.
The wireless router has been designed for use with Virgin Media's Broadband service and includes a 2-year service warranty (for wireless router, wireless USB adapter and wireless laptop card) but this is dependent on you remaining a Virgin Media Broadband customer and using the Broadband and wireless equipment that we provide to you and recommend you use during that 2-year period. Other wireless adapters of appropriate standard may work with our wireless router but we cannot offer support for or guarantee compatibility of this equipment.

Can anyone else see the contradiction here? how can something that is not ever yours be subject to a 2 year service warranty? if someone is in effect leasing me a product as if says its provided as part of your package if after 2 years it fails part of your package is not working anymore and therefore it should be replaced or repaired

Peter_
12-08-2009, 00:39
Ok ive seen this a few times where people say the router remains the property of VM

Can anyone else see the contradiction here? how can something that is not ever yours be subject to a 2 year service warranty? if someone is in effect leasing me a product as if says its provided as part of your package if after 2 years it fails part of your package is not working anymore and therefore it should be replaced or repaired
After the 2 years it is removed from your account and is therefore no longer supported by us.

zing_deleted
12-08-2009, 00:49
if its removed from your account how can it possibly remain the property of virgin media as I said contradiction

Ignitionnet
12-08-2009, 01:06

Wireless side? You mean WAN right? ;)

In other news the router is garbage. It can't handle 50Mbit properly which is probably why they are using different ones, that or they can get an even better price from DLink for taking obsolete stock off their hands than they did Netgear.

Peter_
12-08-2009, 07:21
Wireless side? You mean WAN right? ;)

In other news the router is garbage. It can't handle 50Mbit properly which is probably why they are using different ones, that or they can get an even better price from DLink for taking obsolete stock off their hands than they did Netgear.
I missed out the word card as I meant the NIC card in response to the question but I can see how that looks in a thread about wireless:D:D:D:D

beanie
12-08-2009, 13:36
Are the Virgin Help Desk trained up on the new D-Link modem? Or is it being outsourced to D-Link? I really didnt get on with Netgear support.

Peter_
12-08-2009, 14:19
Are the Virgin Help Desk trained up on the new D-Link modem? Or is it being outsourced to D-Link? I really didnt get on with Netgear support.
We now support all 3 routers supplied by Virginmedia.