PDA

View Full Version : fibre4MK - a campaign to upgrade analogue cable in Milton Keynes

chrisdtvuk
09-08-2009, 22:02
Do you live in MK and suffer because cable only provides analogue cable tv and only slow speed adsl broadband? Then you need to support this new campaign... http://www.fibre4mk.co.cc

Virgin need to be aware of how important Milton Keynes is to retaining and gaining customers. MK is the 4th largest urban broadband take-up area in the UK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5238522.stm) and is the only place in the country, routinely being cabled-up - even today!

Ben B
09-08-2009, 22:11
They are upgrading it by some time next year, there's a post about it in the coming soon thread I think...

sollp
09-08-2009, 22:56
This network is owned by BT but maintained by VM,( as far as i know this is the case along with severall other areas) this is one of severall networks that is owned by BT. It's a funny contract that they have, VM maintain it and im assuming that BT are ultinately responsible for upgrading these networks,(never really found out a definite answer to this one though).

chrisdtvuk
09-08-2009, 23:09
They are upgrading it by some time next year, there's a post about it in the coming soon thread I think...

really? where.. can you find the link and post back?

thanks

Ignitionnet
09-08-2009, 23:10
If it were that easy it would have already happened sadly. I note another part of the campaign refers to BT's FTTN upgrade, this is more likely than upgrades of the cable network.

It should be noted that a very few areas and only 15% of the BT rollout has been announced thusfar so no real way to know what they are upgrading yet.

Ben B
10-08-2009, 00:10
really? where.. can you find the link and post back?

thanks

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33643934-coming-soon-to-virgin-tv-2009-a-page-208.html post 3115 onwards. Was mentioned in the Q&A at the quarterly results presentation.

chrisdtvuk
12-08-2009, 10:39
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=34555960&postcount=3

.. they won't turn us off until we get upgraded.. is how i read that.

But full fibre to the home would be ace wouldn't it? All the cable cabs here are fed by fibre anyway so at most your talking a small distance via BT's duct to each home?

Ah that might well be the problem - bt wants a cut of revenue from anything going through its tubes? But surely they can't hold a whole city to ransom like that forever?

weesteev
12-08-2009, 12:00
The MK area is part of the West London upgrade project including areas like Slough. These areas (in theory) will be upgraded to a full interactive digital network similair to the existing HFC network. Virgin will not roll out Fibre in this area in the near future.

Also the MK and Westminster areas are ex-BT. BT no longer own these network areas, they are prt of the Virgin Media network but still in an Analogue build stage.

Hope this helps.

chrisdtvuk
12-08-2009, 14:42
The MK area is part of the West London upgrade project including areas like Slough. These areas (in theory) will be upgraded to a full interactive digital network similair to the existing HFC network. Virgin will not roll out Fibre in this area in the near future.

Also the MK and Westminster areas are ex-BT. BT no longer own these network areas, they are prt of the Virgin Media network but still in an Analogue build stage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, though a few questions arise out of that.. You say BT no longer own these network areas... Does that mean Virgin now own the entire HFC network and plant in MK? Therefore they are not leasing it off BT Global Services division anymore?

I understand most of westminster has already been upgraded to allow broadband, but it's not subject to rules like the MK franchise, which by order of local authority and quango rules, must keep connecting new estates and homes in the MK expansion area.

techguy
09-09-2010, 18:32

Hope this helps.

The 'talk' is some good news is coming to Milton Keynes 2011 ... i.e a full digital service. Wonder how this is all suddenly possible?

sollp
09-09-2010, 20:19
The 'talk' is some good news is coming to Milton Keynes 2011 ... i.e a full digital service. Wonder how this is all suddenly possible?

Money is being invested all the time into the networks, I also know there will be alot of monies available for various projects next year.