PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Internet died...

Woods
09-08-2009, 20:11
Hi, This morning my Broadband Internet died... nothing special about that - happens from time to time, but it is usually fixed after a few hours. As it's been down most of the day I thought I'd call VM to see what was up. I was given the run around by two of the call center guys saying that I would need to have my STB replaced with a CM, and that it would take a month (!).

Eventually I managed to get someone to try to troubleshoot it, but he didn't really manage to figure out the problem.

Basically I'm getting an IP address (a public / good one), but I have no connectivity. I've run a packet sniffer on the connection and I can see my IP address making ARP requests for the default gateway, but I never get a response. I can see lots of other DHCP request from other customers so the connectivity must be there. The guy at VM swore blind that the problem was not with their equipment and it was with me.

Any ideas? So far there is no mention of any problem on VM's status page.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Also they have booked a date to get the Cable Modem 'installed' which is a month away. Does anyone know if it really needs an engineer to install? Couldn't they just send me the modem (there is a spare VM coax connection that the modem can connect to).

webcrawler2050
09-08-2009, 22:09
Hello,

Can you tell us, what your lights are doing on the VM Modem?

Have you tried rebooting the modem?

How are you connected to the modem? Router then modem or direct into the modem?

I would ring, Tech and check your modem is registered on your account, i've seen it before, where a clients modem has strangely dropped connectivity and their modem has suddenly "gone missing" off their account. Give them the MAC address. Get them to check..

And engineer isnt really needed, if the cables etc are there, that said, he may check a few things. Is there any damage outside on the box, for the wires coming into your building?

Peter_
09-08-2009, 22:15
Hi, This morning my Broadband Internet died... nothing special about that - happens from time to time, but it is usually fixed after a few hours. As it's been down most of the day I thought I'd call VM to see what was up. I was given the run around by two of the call center guys saying that I would need to have my STB replaced with a CM, and that it would take a month (!).

Eventually I managed to get someone to try to troubleshoot it, but he didn't really manage to figure out the problem.

Basically I'm getting an IP address (a public / good one), but I have no connectivity. I've run a packet sniffer on the connection and I can see my IP address making ARP requests for the default gateway, but I never get a response. I can see lots of other DHCP request from other customers so the connectivity must be there. The guy at VM swore blind that the problem was not with their equipment and it was with me.

Any ideas? So far there is no mention of any problem on VM's status page.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Also they have booked a date to get the Cable Modem 'installed' which is a month away. Does anyone know if it really needs an engineer to install? Couldn't they just send me the modem (there is a spare VM coax connection that the modem can connect to).
The was a similar thread yesterday that I provided answers so just click this link below.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33653835-setop-box-replaced-now-no-broadband.html#post34850516

Woods
09-08-2009, 22:34
Webcrawler,

I've got a STB. The STB 'broadband' light is lit solidly (not flashing). I've tried the STB / computer, etc.

The cabling outside the building looks fine. The TV / Phone are both fine so I doubt there is any damage.

Moldova,

Thanks - I've asked them to send me the modem direct (they said they could send it next Friday, so that's better, but still a week on mywork's sucky 2mb DSL :p).

Hopefully it will be an easy install. Do you know what the procedure would be moving from STB to CM? Do I just get the MAC address from the new CM and call up Customer Service to activate? When I was talking to the Customer Service guy he didn't fill me with confidence that what I was asking was doable. I actually have a NTL 120 CM lying around from the last time they agreed to send me a CM, then decided that it was impossible to use (that was a few years ago though).

I'm still quite interested as to why my current connection isn't working as far as I can tell there is no reason for it to be faulty.

Peter_
09-08-2009, 22:52
Webcrawler,

I've got a STB. The STB 'broadband' light is lit solidly (not flashing). I've tried the STB / computer, etc.

The cabling outside the building looks fine. The TV / Phone are both fine so I doubt there is any damage.

Moldova,

Thanks - I've asked them to send me the modem direct (they said they could send it next Friday, so that's better, but still a week on mywork's sucky 2mb DSL :p).

Hopefully it will be an easy install. Do you know what the procedure would be moving from STB to CM? Do I just get the MAC address from the new CM and call up Customer Service to activate? When I was talking to the Customer Service guy he didn't fill me with confidence that what I was asking was doable. I actually have a NTL 120 CM lying around from the last time they agreed to send me a CM, then decided that it was impossible to use (that was a few years ago though).

I'm still quite interested as to why my current connection isn't working as far as I can tell there is no reason for it to be faulty.
You need a Quickstart kit because they may just send you a modem which is of no use without the relevant cables included and then you would need a engineer to install it.

I would ring up tomorrow after 0800 to see if te just sent you a modem or a proper Quickstart kit.

Reedy
09-08-2009, 23:16

They no longer support STB's and just nuked the lot forcing the people that are still on STB's to phone up and do all the arranging replacements rather planning the rollout.

Ask for a refund and refuse to pay for the modem and install fee. They wanted something like £30 quid which was quickly dismissed when I told them that they broke it due to the rollout and therefore, THEY can fix it. Good luck.

Woods
10-08-2009, 00:12
They no longer support STB's and just nuked the lot forcing the people that are still on STB's to phone up and do all the arranging replacements rather planning the rollout.

Ask for a refund and refuse to pay for the modem and install fee. They wanted something like £30 quid which was quickly dismissed when I told them that they broke it due to the rollout and therefore, THEY can fix it. Good luck.

Wow. Didn't they think to tell us first?

Peter_
10-08-2009, 06:26

The is no charge for this and anyone that trys to put an install charge on your account is in the wrong as it is a free replacement and upgrade so as to continue providing you with service.

Woods
10-08-2009, 19:57
Well my BB has now started working again... so I can't complain. I'll still get the CM installed though I guess if STB's are being phased out.