PDA

View Full Version : Please be realistic with me

Milambar
08-08-2009, 13:59
Problem: Power levels ranging.

The engineer has visited, and referred me to "networks" who have called to say that they are going to be around on August 13 to "fix the problem".

However, realistically, what can they do?

As the engineer explained it to me, I'm already on the top tap, and I'm just too far from the cabinet to get a reliable service. Which is odd, because I've had a reliable service for the past 5 years.

However, based on what the engineer said, that I'm too far from the cabinet, it really does seem that distance is a factor despite what people say about cable. So considering that, what realistically can I expect "networks" to do, and can I realistically expect it to be fixed?

Or should I start looking for alternate providers?

BTW: Current download power/signal levels are: 2.5dBmV and 27.8dB, and Im getting sub dialup speeds (I just tried to download a small 8MB file from netgear and got 2kbps). Pages are timing out, it took 20 minutes and repeated clicking of reload just to load the cableforum website.

spiderplant
08-08-2009, 15:13
Your downstream power is fine, but the SNR is iffy, so it looks like a noise problem. Networks may well be able to do something about it. Have you had a repull already?

What's your upstream power? And how far from the cabinet are you?

Milambar
08-08-2009, 15:29
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.5 dBmV

No to the repull.

Um. Its at the end of the next road over from me, so thats, 200m approx to the end of my road, and 100m along the next road. so about 300m in total. Thats just an estimate mind, assuming the cable follows the "walking route" which I believe it does.

AbyssUnderground
08-08-2009, 15:46
Could be a modem issue. I had this about a year ago, and a modem swap solved it straight away. Given its due though, the modem was about 7 years old.

Turn the modem off, phone up saying its broken, and they should send you a new one or send an engineer with one.

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 18:58
A repull can make a lot of difference, RG-11 cable (albiet considerably more expensive) which is used for long pulls, has a considerably lower signal drop across it. (thicker copper core, bigger PE dielectric).

If they've found that the noise is being introduced by the drop to the house, there's little else they can do.

graf_von_anonym
09-08-2009, 21:26
They may be improving the signal levels between cabinet and the box one up from that, known as the node. There are circumstances where signal drops there can affect subscribers who've had connections that worked earlier. The SNR measures the values across the connection between modem and BSR/UBR, so there are a few stages along the way where there can be variation. The usual issue is the cabinet to modem leg, but networks deal with what is past it, and are usually not too bad.*

* For workshy vampires intent only on leaching misery from customers, of course.

Milambar
09-08-2009, 21:34
Well, I hope they get it fixed. Not being able to browse websites (I had to turn off images/java/javascript just to view this site in less than 5 minutes loadtime), and 2.4kbit downloads (measured by wgetting a 300kb photograph stored on my colocated server at keyweb.de) is getting seriously fustrating.

At least IRC is so low bandwidth, it still works. Its about all that does tho.

webcrawler2050
09-08-2009, 22:03
A repull worked a treat on one of my old properties. Was gettting 10mb on a 20mb connection. VM Engineer, came to replace modem, didn't work, then did a repull, worked a treat.

sollp
09-08-2009, 22:34
Problem: Power levels ranging.

The engineer has visited, and referred me to "networks" who have called to say that they are going to be around on August 13 to "fix the problem".

However, realistically, what can they do?

As the engineer explained it to me, I'm already on the top tap, and I'm just too far from the cabinet to get a reliable service. Which is odd, because I've had a reliable service for the past 5 years.

However, based on what the engineer said, that I'm too far from the cabinet, it really does seem that distance is a factor despite what people say about cable. So considering that, what realistically can I expect "networks" to do, and can I realistically expect it to be fixed?

Or should I start looking for alternate providers?

BTW: Current download power/signal levels are: 2.5dBmV and 27.8dB, and Im getting sub dialup speeds (I just tried to download a small 8MB file from netgear and got 2kbps). Pages are timing out, it took 20 minutes and repeated clicking of reload just to load the cableforum website.

Out of interest where abouts are you in the country?

Ignitionnet
10-08-2009, 03:08
Interesting.

Ideally firstly the guy will be testing from your port on your tap, to eliminate the cable run between your home and the tap as an issue. This is not an issue of signal strength but one of signal quality.

If other people on the same tap as you (can be checked by plugging a test modem into the tap) are ok it confirms the issue is your tap or the cable run between tap and modem.

If not, and the issue persists even with a change of tap it points to an issue further up which can be sorted by networks.

Ideally the tech should have checked on the service from your tap and from another vacant port or a test port and seen if the SNR remained poor. Hopefully he did which is why he has escalated to networks.

Chances are they'll resolve the issue further up. Could be a faulty amplifier, could be a problem with the optical part of the network, either way they'll sort it and likely much sooner than you've been told so don't panic. The tap you are on appears to be delivering a satisfactory power level to you, it's just the cleanliness of that signal that is the problem, too much noise and not enough clean signal reaching you which is nothing at all to do with the power level which is very good.

You probably have a ton of packet loss if you ping as well - how is the SNR on the TV's set top box if you have one, and do you see pixellation on channels?

pabscars
10-08-2009, 09:21
Interesting.

Ideally firstly the guy will be testing from your port on your tap, to eliminate the cable run between your home and the tap as an issue. This is not an issue of signal strength but one of signal quality.

If other people on the same tap as you (can be checked by plugging a test modem into the tap) are ok it confirms the issue is your tap or the cable run between tap and modem.

If not, and the issue persists even with a change of tap it points to an issue further up which can be sorted by networks.

Ideally the tech should have checked on the service from your tap and from another vacant port or a test port and seen if the SNR remained poor. Hopefully he did which is why he has escalated to networks.

Chances are they'll resolve the issue further up. Could be a faulty amplifier, could be a problem with the optical part of the network, either way they'll sort it and likely much sooner than you've been told so don't panic. The tap you are on appears to be delivering a satisfactory power level to you, it's just the cleanliness of that signal that is the problem, too much noise and not enough clean signal reaching you which is nothing at all to do with the power level which is very good.

You probably have a ton of packet loss if you ping as well - how is the SNR on the TV's set top box if you have one, and do you see pixellation on channels?

Its been a while since ive posted on here so a big hello to everyone, and glad to see the usual names still here.

Firstly can i apologise to the op for butting into their post, and may i ask Mr Broadbandings about the last line of his reply, especially the bit about pixellation.

Ive been experiencing this very problem, with some packet loss also. I have an engineer booked to come round tonight between 4 and 7 and although the tech couldnt find any fault at all over the phone, when I mentioned the pixellation problem and the fact the phone line can get fax noises coming down it suggest,s something might not be right with my connection also.

So I am also asking what realistically can be done, and is there any advice anyone can give as to what questions to ask?.

I would just like to mention that the tech I had on the phone on Saturday was an absolute diamond, you know who you are, and I have a feeling he may well be a regular poster on this forum, If only I could have you on speed dial.:)

Milambar
10-08-2009, 09:34
Although I have a STB,I don't have a TV. I only took the "M" TV service as it worked out cheaper to take it, than not, thanks to bundling, so I cannot comment on the pixellation issue. Sorry.

Milambar
10-08-2009, 14:13
Update: Engineer called this morning before I could cancel him. Glad I didn't cancel in the end. Modem was swapped out.

Levels are now: 39.5dB and -2.0dBmV.

He also put a terminator on the end of an unterminated cable which had been left on the splitter.

My speed is now 9.2Mbit down, which aint bad for a 10mbit package.

A big thanks to everyone here, who offered advice, and especially to someone inside VM who wishes to remain anonymous, they know who they are.

:handshake:Peaceman:

Ignitionnet
10-08-2009, 21:55
A slap is due for the service tech who first came and referred to networks in that case, I thought he might have made sure that the fault was with the network and not your drop first.

pabscars
11-08-2009, 09:17
A slap is due for the service tech who first came and referred to networks in that case, I thought he might have made sure that the fault was with the network and not your drop first.

I had a visit from the tech last night who sorted the pixelation on the TV out by turning up the tap so to speak (voltage was too low apparently) at the little green cabinet, but my download speeds are still well below par and last night I was struggling to hit 10Mbps from speedtest.net.

Unfortunately the engineer didnt stay long enough to find out so I pressume another phone call to VM is in order.

Before I do that does anyone know the acceptable power levels and snr for the 50Mbps modem please.

Ben B
11-08-2009, 12:00
I had a visit from the tech last night who sorted the pixelation on the TV out by turning up the tap so to speak (voltage was too low apparently) at the little green cabinet, but my download speeds are still well below par and last night I was struggling to hit 10Mbps from speedtest.net.

Unfortunately the engineer didnt stay long enough to find out so I pressume another phone call to VM is in order.

Before I do that does anyone know the acceptable power levels and snr for the 50Mbps modem please.

I think these power levels still apply to 50mb: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

pabscars
11-08-2009, 13:14
I think these power levels still apply to 50mb: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

Thanks Ben, I was'nt sure if they still applied or not, so it would appear mine are well within the specified tolerances, so any suggestions as to why my speeds are a bit on the slow side (between 5 and 25Mbps), given that they have been usually very good for quite a while, and usually return 45 to 53Mbps approx.

The only thing I have changed recently is my routers security from WPA to WEP, only reason was to get my wireless adapter for the upstairs xbox working.

I,m speedtesting on my PS3, wired through CAT6 cable and so rightly or wrongly thinking it avoids firewall issues etc.

Like I say earlier this normally works a treat but for several weeks now its been pants, with noticeable differences in gameplay, (lots of lag) when I,m hosting in particular at times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

musicbravo
11-08-2009, 13:29
The only thing I have changed recently is my routers security from WPA to WEP

I know why you have done this but remember WEP can be hacked in under 60 secs if a dodgy person is in the vicinity which could then have a big knock on effect on your broadband speed. Unlikely but very possible

pabscars
11-08-2009, 15:57
[QUOTE=musicbravo;34851757]I know why you have done this but remember WEP can be hacked in under 60 secs if a dodgy person is in the vicinity which could then have a big knock on effect on your broadband speed. Unlikely but very possible[/QUOTE

I was aware of it, but how else can you use the xbox 360 wireless adapter unless you run WEP, ???????

answers on a postcard

musicbravo
11-08-2009, 18:14
Do Microsoft not do software updates for it? Like they did with PC just after SP3 came out

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

AFAIK according to several forums xbox 360 does support WPA but not WPA2. I have no way of testing this as i dont have one

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/Hardware/Accessories/Networking/WirelessNetworkingAdapter.aspx

Make Your Wireless Network Secure

Because wireless networks use radio signals, it's possible for other wireless network devices outside your immediate area to pick up the signals and either connect to your network or capture the network traffic.
To help prevent unauthorized connections and reduce the possibility of eavesdroppers listening in on your network traffic:

Position your router or access point as close as possible to the center of your home. This decreases the strength of the signal outside your home.
Enable wireless security on your router or access point. Your wireless networking adapter supports WPA and WEP security. When you enable wireless security, you establish a key that "encrypts" the data being wirelessly transmitted so that it is decipherable only by computers with the same key. Furthermore, WPA automatically changes keys on a frequent basis, making your system more secure.
Note

Some copies of the instruction manual for the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter state that the adapter is compatible with the WPA2 security standard. At this time the adapter works only with WPA and WEP security.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

UPDATE: You need the NXE update for you Xbox 360

pabscars
12-08-2009, 08:02
Do Microsoft not do software updates for it? Like they did with PC just after SP3 came out

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

AFAIK according to several forums xbox 360 does support WPA but not WPA2. I have no way of testing this as i dont have one

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/Hardware/Accessories/Networking/WirelessNetworkingAdapter.aspx

Make Your Wireless Network Secure

Because wireless networks use radio signals, it's possible for other wireless network devices outside your immediate area to pick up the signals and either connect to your network or capture the network traffic.
To help prevent unauthorized connections and reduce the possibility of eavesdroppers listening in on your network traffic:

Position your router or access point as close as possible to the center of your home. This decreases the strength of the signal outside your home.
Enable wireless security on your router or access point. Your wireless networking adapter supports WPA and WEP security. When you enable wireless security, you establish a key that "encrypts" the data being wirelessly transmitted so that it is decipherable only by computers with the same key. Furthermore, WPA automatically changes keys on a frequent basis, making your system more secure.
Note

Some copies of the instruction manual for the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter state that the adapter is compatible with the WPA2 security standard. At this time the adapter works only with WPA and WEP security.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

UPDATE: You need the NXE update for you Xbox 360

Well thanks a lot for that, I certainly wasnt aware of this, thanks for taking the time to respond and i will look into changing it back tonight, but before I do that I need to speak to a tech again as last night was like going back to dial up speeds.
:D

---------- Post added at 08:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

I,m not sure if they do software updates for them, or should I say Ive never come accross them,

Ignitionnet
24-08-2009, 00:13

Quick thread resurrection.

The power levels that cretin posted there roughly apply to 50Mbit even though it uses 256QAM EuroDOCSIS and due to the way the modems acquire the downstream channels the tolerances are tighter.

Also the modems don't report an SNR they report an MER which are different things.

MER around the 33dB mark should be just about ok but more would be really, really nice!

Power levels wise it's ok, the original posted values were quite conservative and are appropriate for the DOCSIS 3 product. From posts here it's functioned just fine with as low as -10dBmV and as high as at least +8 but it's a big YMMV situation and installers appear to aim for +/-4dBmV with target of 0, when they actually pay attention to the power levels of course ;)

sollp
24-08-2009, 20:17
Quick thread resurrection.

The power levels that cretin posted there roughly apply to 50Mbit even though it uses 256QAM EuroDOCSIS and due to the way the modems acquire the downstream channels the tolerances are tighter.

Also the modems don't report an SNR they report an MER which are different things.

MER around the 33dB mark should be just about ok but more would be really, really nice!

Power levels wise it's ok, the original posted values were quite conservative and are appropriate for the DOCSIS 3 product. From posts here it's functioned just fine with as low as -10dBmV and as high as at least +8 but it's a big YMMV situation and installers appear to aim for +/-4dBmV with target of 0, when they actually pay attention to the power levels of course ;)

Cretin?

Ignitionnet
24-08-2009, 21:02
Cretin?

The guy who posted http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html ya.