PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Keep Calling Me And Asking Who Are Ya?

RobB
08-08-2009, 01:36
Ive just joined this forum because Im sick and tired of Virgin Media calling me day in day out asking "Who are ya"
They call me on my mobile and landline from a Manchester number. Im sick of it. Today though somebody recorded a calll back to virgin checkt out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1taTCGNKbM

Im going to call them tomorrow and ask why they KEEP calling me everyday. This is harassement.

BenMcr
08-08-2009, 01:47
Oh joy - another lengthy argument over whether posting a call online is legal or not.

moaningmags
08-08-2009, 01:51
I listened to it and it sounded like a set up to me but hey I work for Virgin therefore I must think that cos I'm not capable of thinking for myself.

webcrawler2050
08-08-2009, 03:00
Virgin Media are making illegal and distressing silent phone calls.
They ring you up and say nothing while you say "hello, hello" - they then hang up without saying a word.
This is a video of me returning a 'silent call'. The operator confirms that the company is Virgin Media but then refuses to give their managers name who is in charge of the 'Silent Call' Department.

Phew - jesus! This "video" is just dangerous - Sorry to say but I would, just speak to Virgin Media, rather than jumping to conclusions. You're playing it as if you "don't know" what VM are / who they are. From a legal stan point, if Virgin Saw that, especially, "illegal" & "distressing" phones, is a few things, detramentation, slander, etc etc - the women seems to help as much as possible, they don' thave to give their managers name, there will be a policy for that - simply report the number to the abuse department of your landline and mobile they will trace it - it could be a cold call.

Etc, my advice, be very very carefull.

RobB
08-08-2009, 03:22
Yes but they cal me every other day. Seriously they call me sometimes 3 times in one day.
I am a powerseller on ebay and I also sell cars but Virgin Media call me all the time, they have also barred 2 of my sales numbers from the Virgin Network because they say that there have been too many complaints?? Ive had to change my numbers because they cant be called from Virgin Media.

Im going to record the calls from now on from Virgin Media. This has made me realise that Virgin do this to other people. what is this guy going to do about his sales when his numbers are barred from Virgin Media???

webcrawler2050
08-08-2009, 12:20
Well, if you record the calls and decide to take action. You won't stand on any legs, unless you declare they are being recorded. Otherwise, you wont have a chance.

Whats being a powerseller gotta do with it?

Seriously, get the number blocked you dialed - simple. I personally don;t see why you are going to all this "hassle" for something very simple, yes it;'s annoying. etc etc.

RobB
08-08-2009, 14:20
Yes but why do Virgin keep banning my numbers from their network? I ahve to change my 07 number every month as Virgin puts a message on their system saying the number is no longer in service??

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

seriously try it, 07013139978 and 07013139979 both banned from Virgin. I used to sell on those numbers but had to get new numbers as those numbers now cant be called from Virgin. Try calling them from Virgin you will get number unobtainable or a message saying that they are no longer in use which is wrong because try calling them from any other network bt or any mobile and they work. Virgin has banned them all because I sell alot of things and people have phoned Virgin and said that they didnt make the calls and so Virgin have banned my numbers. I have to get new numbers every month because of this.

webcrawler2050
08-08-2009, 14:39
Well, if this is the cause, this is very similiar to "spoofing" basically, a system dials that number as it's a "free" forwarding number etc - speak to the provider of the number, they will be able to resolve this.

Toto
08-08-2009, 14:53
Don't know what to make of this to be honest, perhaps this is just a thread to get the Youtube page hits up :D

Pushkar
08-08-2009, 15:56
I have to say that your attitude to the lady on the phone is disgraceful, is it her fault that they are calling you?

RobB
08-08-2009, 16:59
But why are my personal numbers getting banned from Virgin?

Toto
08-08-2009, 17:03
But why are my personal numbers getting banned from Virgin?

What has your question got to do with that video?

Hang on, looking over your posts a little more,....

Your opening post Today though somebody recorded a calll back to virgin checkt outWho recorded that call, you? Who posted that on to Youtube, you?

Then in another post you refer to "this guy", are you referring to yourself in the third person?

I'm really struggling to understand what you are complaining about, because as soon as your original post is challenged, you then claim that two mobile/freecall numbers are being blocked by Virgin Media.

webcrawler2050
08-08-2009, 17:10
I have to say that your attitude to the lady on the phone is disgraceful, is it her fault that they are calling you?

None of this makes sense, from what I can gather, he is using some "free" 0701 number, from the likes of Flex Tel etc. Somebody is drop calling the number and generally being a nuisance. From what I gather, the OP in question, rather than going about it the mature and adult way, decided to "have a go" at some lass on the end of the phone. I see this all the time, with these numbers.

07013139979 these numbers are from a service such as flex tell - to be honest, you aintmaking much sense.. Where did you get this number from?

Paul
08-08-2009, 17:20
Virgin are calling you three times a day asking who you are ? Sorry but that makes no sense at all. As for 0701 numbers, ive used one (from flextel) for years - re-directed to my virgin mobile without any issues.

Zain
08-08-2009, 17:37

+1

awful attitude towards her, not even her fault too.. terrible :rolleyes:

RobB
08-08-2009, 17:41
the video isnt mine I found it on youtube through a search.

What Im saying is that no one can call me on my 07 numbers as Virgin has banned my numbers. Try calling them from a Virgin line you will see they cant be called.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Virgin phone me every other day and ask who I am and then ban my numbers

Toto
08-08-2009, 17:55
the video isnt mine I found it on youtube through a search.

What Im saying is that no one can call me on my 07 numbers as Virgin has banned my numbers. Try calling them from a Virgin line you will see they cant be called.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Virgin phone me every other day and ask who I am and then ban my numbers

I'm sorry, I am just not seeing how that could be possible unless there were serious complaints from its customers.

Perhaps ofcom is a better starting off point, as I suspect you may not be taken seriously here.

dev
08-08-2009, 18:03
If they're banning the numbers there must be a reason which I suspect you're not telling us. How do you know it's Virgin calling? What do they actually ask you? What do you reply with?

RobB
08-08-2009, 18:28
But why just Virgin? Why are my numbers unobtainable only when dialed from Virgin phones?

webcrawler2050
08-08-2009, 20:32
Well is the forwarding working as it should? Where are numbers being forwarded to? You have setup forwarding?

RobB
09-08-2009, 00:11
The numbers work if you call from BT or any mobile. All working ok. Just wont work from a Virgin phone.

Stuart
09-08-2009, 00:46
1) Your attitude on the phone towards to the lady who answered (who probably has little or nothing to do with your case) is disgusting. She was actually offering to help, but you insisted on having a go at her. Personally, I would have hung up if I were her.

2) The regulators may well refuse. OFCOM require that you give the company the chance to investigate the problem themselves (in fairness, I have no way of knowing if you have, but it doesn't sound like you have based on that call). The Premium Rate regulator probably won't get involved because VM aren't a premium rate phone company.

3) Do you know it's Virgin blocking the calls? Maybe your PNS provider has barred Virgin? They may well do if someone on a Virgin number has been abusing the system

4) As noted above, could someone be making these calls using a spoofed number?

My advice? Phone Virgin back. Ask to speak to the manager of the department. Don't be aggressive about it (whether intentionally or not, you did come across as a little aggressive in that call). Be calm.

When you speak to the manager, try and get them to investigate what has happened. I don't know how the department operates, but I would be surprised if they didn't keep a log of all numbers called (at the very least because there may be legal cases involving some of the numbers). Staff may not have access to (or even be aware of) this list. Hopefully, the manager will be able to obtain access to this list.

I would also ask your PNS provider if they are blocking Virgin numbers.

moaningmags
09-08-2009, 00:55
Stuart it's not him on the call. He searched for it and for some reason decided to post a link to it during his rant.

Stuart
09-08-2009, 01:11
Stuart it's not him on the call. He searched for it and for some reason decided to post a link to it during his rant.

I have to admit, I didn't notice that it wasn't him. However, he is apparently having the same problem, so my advice still stands.

webcrawler2050
09-08-2009, 01:27
Stuart,

I've seen this before - it's very similar to Telnet Spoofing. The *ONLY* People that can resolve it are FlexTel (The provider of these numbers) and or VM Themselfs.

This "spoofing" is done either, via a machine and or Telnet.

Stuart
09-08-2009, 02:18
Stuart,

I've seen this before - it's very similar to Telnet Spoofing. The *ONLY* People that can resolve it are FlexTel (The provider of these numbers) and or VM Themselfs.

This "spoofing" is done either, via a machine and or Telnet.

Which is *why* I advised him to speak to both.

NO ONE
09-08-2009, 22:48
Ive just joined this forum because Im sick and tired of Virgin Media calling me day in day out asking "Who are ya"
They call me on my mobile and landline from a Manchester number. Im sick of it. Today though somebody recorded a calll back to virgin checkt out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1taTCGNKbM

Im going to call them tomorrow and ask why they KEEP calling me everyday. This is harassement.if it helps Rob Last year Beefor i join Bt And Sky I was Vm Custermer in the First Part of 2008 i Keept getting Phone Call Asking me if was the Abbey Bank Told Vm About This ages to Sote out . A year and Six Mouths Later Still got the same Cable Number but With Bt No problsems . Ex now Keep Sading Me My Neighbours Bill to my house Also if it Helps i am on your side .

webcrawler2050
09-08-2009, 23:04
if it helps Rob Last year Beefor i join Bt And Sky I was Vm Custermer in the First Part of 2008 i Keept getting Phone Call Asking me if was the Abbey Bank Told Vm About This ages to Sote out . A year and Six Mouths Later Still got the same Cable Number but With Bt No problsems . Ex now Keep Sading Me My Neighbours Bill to my house Also if it Helps i am on your side .

In the nicest possible, way. In English please?

arcamalpha2004
10-08-2009, 00:21
Well, if you record the calls and decide to take action. You won't stand on any legs, unless you declare they are being recorded. Otherwise, you wont have a chance.

Whats being a powerseller gotta do with it?

Seriously, get the number blocked you dialed - simple. I personally don;t see why you are going to all this "hassle" for something very simple, yes it;'s annoying. etc etc.

But why are VM calling him if their calls are not welcome? from what I see VM are the ones " hassling "

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

In the nicest possible, way. In English please?

Thats nice and patronising is it not? if I was to repeat your words to one of the VM call centres in India I wonder what would happen ?

webcrawler2050
10-08-2009, 01:31
But why are VM calling him if their calls are not welcome? from what I see VM are the ones " hassling "

You're not understanding, VM arn't calling him the number being used, in this case, just happens to be VM is being "spoofed"

m419
13-08-2009, 20:12
some companies ban them because sometimes some rogue phone companies like Xero 9 who was fined by ofcom was giving people missed calls on there mobiles and then they would expect the victim to ring back the number at 50p per minute, keep them on hold saying please wait while we try to connect and then the call would cut off.

O2 blocks a lot of calls to 070 numbers as well.

They are expensive and should be renumbered to avoid confusement with mobile numbers.

Maybe you should get an 0871 number???

Nook29
13-08-2009, 21:41
The guy that uploaded that video also has a video titled 'Learn Hindi to speak to Sky TV (and countless other call centres)'. The one to Virgin is clearly a spoof.

webcrawler2050
14-08-2009, 03:16
The guy that uploaded that video also has a video titled 'Learn Hindi to speak to Sky TV (and countless other call centres)'. The one to Virgin is clearly a spoof.

Seems so

nutellajunkie
06-09-2009, 21:47
his attitude is terrible (the one on the video). I thought it was going to be a serious video, then at the end you tell her to check out youtube, so thats plain proof its just a windup and he may need a kick up the rear for treating that young lady like that.