PDA

View Full Version : Installation methods (?)

washboy
06-08-2009, 13:06
Short explanation:
I'm having to re-wire and re-cable my flat and want to know the best coax to use for VM HDTV+BB and the best method of cabling (i.e. multi-splitter with one run per device or one run with splitters at each device). Trying to find anyone at VM who can advise is proving difficult. I hope someone here can help.

Background:
I've had DTV+BB+Phone in my flat since my 'block' was cabled-out, ten years ago (there's a DP in the basement). At that time, Cable London kindly dropped off a load of (unmarked, very stiff, foam insulated, white) coax so that I could route it around the interior perimeter of my flat (in mini trunking above the skirting) prior to installation. I ran phone cable alongside as well.

I'm having my flat renovated and the damn builders tore out the exisiting cabling before I could stop them! All of it! Fortunately, I managed to rescue the coax cabling, replace a couple of cut-off F-plugs, and it's still working fine (I was without BB for a couple of days though!).

As part of the renovation I'd like to put some proper trunking in the skirting and provide proper flush wall sockets, etc. I want to pull new coax, etc through it too. At some point in the near future I plan to get a V+ box for HDTV in the lounge and keep the existing STB for a bedroom. I'm happy to buy the cable and any splitters, isolators, etc., but I don't know exactly what to buy. I'm prepared to pay VM to connect it all together and test it but I'd like to pull the cable and prepare the back-boxes, etc. beforehand.

Detail:
Before the builders tore it out, the cabling used to run from the front door:

along hallway and through an internal wall,
into and around a bedroom (phone master socket there),
through another wall, into another bedroom (BB modem and phone ext. there),
through another wall, into the lounge (STB and phone ext. there).

The installers simply connected the coax and phone cable, that I'd pulled, to the (already laid) run from the DP to my front door. In the second bedroom they cut 'my' cable and inserted a splitter (DigiTap 1002DWSB) and fitted a couple of metres of the same coax to feed the BB modem. At the end of the coax run in the lounge they fitted an isolator (Vocom VC308). The FM side is terminated and the TV side had a coax drop to the STB.

So, what should I provide now, in anticipation of using an STB in the first bedroom, a modem in the second bedroom and a V+ in the lounge? I'm OK on the phone side of things.

Sorry for such a long post :o:

john_connett
07-08-2009, 11:45
As part of the renovation I'd like to put some proper trunking in the skirting and provide proper flush wall sockets, etc. I want to pull new coax, etc through it too. At some point in the near future I plan to get a V+ box for HDTV in the lounge and keep the existing STB for a bedroom. I'm happy to buy the cable and any splitters, isolators, etc., but I don't know exactly what to buy. I'm prepared to pay VM to connect it all together and test it but I'd like to pull the cable and prepare the back-boxes, etc. beforehand.

I have a major house renovation planned and am looking for similar answers.

I have tried asking via the Virgin Media website who suggested calling 151 but I'm not sure they understood what I was attempting to ask ...

After that I posted a message to the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup with the subject House renovation / wiring guidance?

Ideally, I would like new coax (and telephone) wiring installed during the renovation with outlets matched to the decor and wiring accessories. My preference would be for the incoming coax to go to a (well ventilated) service cupboard with the cable modem and other networking equipment. A splitter (or splitters) would be installed in that cupboard to provide feeds to flush mounted F-type outlets to a V+ Box and V Box. I would be quite happy to pay for the installation of cables meeting or exceeding the Virgin Media specifications with the walls chased, conduited and so on as part of the renovation.

I asked As the end result of the renovation will result in something very close to a new-build house I was wondering if there was any guidance in making a house "Virgin Media ready"? but haven't yet received an answer.

The impression I get is that Virgin Media have an old fashioned GPO like attitude that they must install all the wiring and the only option is their white surface mount F-type outlets.

Kwak
10-08-2009, 17:09
Each outlet should be isolated individually, (the one you've got is out of date) so that there is no risk of a short either going toanother piece of equipment or back to the head end and vice versa.
This is partly why Virgin don't supply flush mounted outlets, (there isn't a confirming flush version).
Sadly I would think that your best bet might be to stop the next VM van you see and talk it through with the installer (PS. Cable should be either "Times Fiber/TFC" or "Commscope").
Cheers

jjpearce05
13-08-2009, 19:59
Our cable comes into the house through an isolator through a three way splitter. There is only one isolator.

Around two years ago I ran several ct100 type cables around the house - VM connected the STBs to these and I had no issues with service.

see http://www.mediacables.co.uk/

jungleguy
14-08-2009, 06:20
If you put a blank face plate on the wall to hide the cable, when the engineer does the install he'll be able to remove the face plate and screw in the VM wall box thing onto it.

john_connett
14-08-2009, 10:40
If you put a blank face plate on the wall to hide the cable, when the engineer does the install he'll be able to remove the face plate and screw in the VM wall box thing onto it.

Thanks. With my existing installation the incomer travels across the ground floor (now covered with carpet) to the corner of the lounge where "outlet" for the V-Box is provided by the following combination:

VC210: http://www.technetix.net/product.asp?pid=1165
VC240: http://www.technetix.net/product.asp?id=25&pid=475&sid=67

The other connection from the 2-way splitter then exits through the ground floor wall, passes under the sill of the back door and up the outside wall, and enters the first floor room.

A second "outlet" the same as the first provides for the V+-Box and ntl:250 cable modem. The flying lead for the cable modem is attached to the wall with cable clips just above the top of the skirting.

This style of "outlet" does not appear to be suitable for flush mounting in a wall box http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=1703&rangeid=1003. However, my installation is quite old so it is possible that Virgin Media now use a different style of outlet.

My preferred choice of flush outlet would be one with a faceplate using an F-81 barrel splice http://www.in-home-network.co.uk/f81-barrel-splice-pa013-pack-of-100-34-p.asp to pass through the plate. This gives a huge range of choices.

That still leaves the problem of the concealed cable runs: one from the initial entry point to the cupboard; two from the cupboard to the V+-Box and V-Box. It might be possible to arrange for conduit runs (with pulls) during renovation. Then all that would be required to complete the installation would be to pull the three cables; attach Scratch-N-Sniff connectors; and join it all up. Probably quicker than the conventional "drill holes and bash cable clips into the walls" approach. It would also make it much easier for any future repairs or upgrades.

This was why I have been searching for guidance for making homes "Virgin Media ready". It would be useful to know about such things as materials; dimensions; minimum bend radius; and so on. A specification that I could pass on to the builders would be really useful.

jungleguy
14-08-2009, 20:48
I you pre-wire the place, you'll need to use RG6 cable. Its really hard to explain an install over the phone/web, your far better off trying to get someone out.

I've just checked VM web site and this link maybe of help.

https://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/ctv/your-details.do

cheers

john_connett
20-08-2009, 19:55
Many thanks for the comments and suggestions elsewhere in this thread. However, in the absence of a definite answer from Virgin Media I sent a polite e-mail to the CEO's Office apologizing for the direct contact but explaining that I had exhausted all other sources of the information of which I was aware.

This resulted in a quick reply soon followed by a telephone call from a member of the local installation staff. He clearly understood what I am trying to achieve and told me that he had been involved in several similar renovation projects. We had a very useful conversation and I am now confident that a solution can be achieved that will satisfy both Virgin Media and me.

The start of the building work is still some time away. I will report back once the work is completed and the reinstalled Virgin Media equipment is back in operation.
--
John Connett