PDA

View Full Version : installation questions

colin1234
05-08-2009, 21:02
Hi
First post for a very long time,used to be with NTL about 3,4 years ago.Left after they made such a mess up over my billing.
Any way decided to come back now it is Vigin media and have an install date of this Saturday 15th.
Am getting v.i.p +2 more standard boxes.
Can any one help me with a couple of questions?

1 Will i get a hdmi cable for the V+ Box or will i need to buy one?

2 What sort of picture quality are the standard boxs,i assume they wont be up to the V+ Box but will there be that much difference ?

3 As the cable is already in the ground from the old NTL install will they need to re-lay it or should it be ok?

4 Will they be able to run the cables for the other box,s on the outside of the house and just drill through the wall or will i need to have all the cabling inside?

5 my son has a pc upstairs is the wireless router on a par with the BT Home hub, only ask as my son sometimes has problems connecting to the hub downstairs (don`t need any more grief than i get at the minute :))

Sorry my "couple of questions" seem to have gone on a bit
cheers
colin1234

Zain
05-08-2009, 22:15
Hi
First post for a very long time,used to be with NTL about 3,4 years ago.Left after they made such a mess up over my billing.
Any way decided to come back now it is Vigin media and have an install date of this Saturday 15th.
Am getting v.i.p +2 more standard boxes.
Can any one help me with a couple of questions?

1 Will i get a hdmi cable for the V+ Box or will i need to buy one?

Hey! Sorry but I only have the answer to the first question, Virgin Will Supply the HDMI lead when the engineer comes round although they might ask you on the phone whether you have a HDTV or not (thats what they asked me). Hope that helps :)

jungleguy
06-08-2009, 07:21
HI
2- I have a standard stb and a V+ and I don't notice much difference in quality, but the V+ is on a 39 inch tv and the other is 23 inch
3- depends if they need to do and rg11 re-pull, or if the cable has been damaged.
4- they'll do as much cabling externally, it makes the installers job easier.
5- BT home hub is pretty useless IMO. I think that BT tout theirs as the most reliable wireless connection. I think thats more of an opinion than fact.
cheers

colin1234
06-08-2009, 15:54
Thanks for the replies guys
Looks like all will be well :)

Slightly off topic,just got in from work and my welcome pack is here,opened it up and looked at the package cost :shocked:
What a way to send out a bill
,you have this,we discount this,divide by 10 add a carrot, multiply by the size of your left foot and if the sun is shining this will be your bill.

Brings back memories of NTL :(

Really tried very hard to make sense of it,but no matter how hard i tried i could not get it come to the amount i was told.

Phoned virgin and after a few minutes with a c/s rep was assured that it will be the price i was expecting, "better be" :)

Anyway 10 minutes later phone rings and a nice lady from the installation company says she is just ringing to comfirm my install date.

Whilst she was there i asked here to confirm that the router will be a N type as that was the "sweetener" i was offered when i agreed to sign up,
said she would put a note on the installers list so that he had one on board.

So far so good,lets hope saturday goes well and all will be in place by lunchtime.

thanks again
cheers
colin1234

Kymmy
06-08-2009, 15:58
Are you getting 50Mb? Just that the N type router only comes with 50Mb (or so I believe)

Also on the wireless issue, you'll find that the router wireless is always the strong link on the chain and it's the PC/xbox wifi unit that is the weakest link :p:

colin1234
06-08-2009, 19:03
Hi kymmy
No i`m on VIP with 20Mb,appears n router is free with that as well

Understand about the pc/xbox etc being the weak link,but my sons "kit" is as close to state of the art as you can get,not like mine,i`m still running XP

jungleguy
06-08-2009, 20:43
It might be an idea to get the BB installed into your sons room, he could hard wire it in.

colin1234
06-08-2009, 21:52
It might be an idea to get the BB installed into your sons room, he could hard wire it in.

Not a bad idea jungleguy, might think about that,it would mean i would
have to go wireless but i dont use the pc as much as he does so might do that
cheers
colin1234

virgin_tech
10-08-2009, 09:38
Thanks for the replies guys
Looks like all will be well :)

Brings back memories of NTL :(

lol funny u say that, because Virgin Is still NTL, same company with a name change... one thing i must say though.. NTL as virgin are tryin harder to be better than NTL as NTL

arcamalpha2004
10-08-2009, 10:17
lol funny u say that, because Virgin Is still NTL, same company with a name change... one thing i must say though.. NTL as virgin are tryin harder to be better than NTL as NTL

I hope you had all fingers crossed and were suitably grounded when you hit the send button ;)

virgin_tech
11-08-2009, 21:43
lol... the pain has stopped ow :)