PDA

View Full Version : Had 50mb Put in can't connect to new router

talkingh
05-08-2009, 14:12
Hi Guys,
Long time lurker, first time Poster.
I had my 50mb upgrade today.
when connected with ethernet getting 49.5mb which is great
but the none of the Macbooks or Iphone's can connect to the new Netgear router wnr2000...been through the setup wizard etc but nothing. engineer even swapped first wnr2000 for a second one but to no avail...he seemed a bit clueless about router
when i put my old Netgear router back on, they all connect, but obviously because its an older router i can only get a 19/20mb.
any basic things i might be missing...i remember reading something about switching channels or something to get them working sometimes. tried a search but couldn't find anything on here.
driving me mad

Peter_
05-08-2009, 14:53
Try this below

Connect to the router with an ethernet lead in one of the LAN ports and then you can access the router admin by:

Opening Safari, Firefox, etc...
In the address bar type: 192.168.1.1
Username: admin
Password: password

The settings to change are

Under: Wireless settings
Mode: Up to 300Mbps
Security Options: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
Rename the Router so you know it is your one when trying to look for it.
Set a PassPhrase

Website link for FAQ's http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2614

talkingh
05-08-2009, 16:04
ok thanks for advice
followed it
the router shows up in my list now
but when i tap in password it looks for it
then after 5 seconds it says connection timed out
???

as regards your previous list
do i keep keep channel as auto

regards

Peter_
05-08-2009, 18:47
Try this to and download the setup manual

http://kb.netgear.com/euf/assets/images/netgear/images/static/rule_150px.gif
WNR2000 Setup Manual (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1903/related/1)
WNR2000 User Manual (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4448/related/1)
How to troubleshoot when your wireless adapter could not connect using WPA2-PSK... (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33/related/1)

talkingh
06-08-2009, 10:59
right ive spent 15 hours looking on the net and trying to solve this
the only way i can get these speeds wirelessly is to set it up with no wep or password so it's open, odd,
have seen other macbook users online with this problem too
i live in a block where it is nearly all old people with no internet at all out of 90 flats only one has an internet router which is sky . should i just stop ssid broadcasting as i should be safe from people piggybacking
or are there any other options
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/41.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

PAYNEARDO
06-08-2009, 11:24
right ive spent 15 hours looking on the net and trying to solve this
the only way i can get these speeds wirelessly is to set it up with no wep or password so it's open, odd,
have seen other macbook users online with this problem too
i live in a block where it is nearly all old people with no internet at all out of 90 flats only one has an internet router which is sky . should i just stop ssid broadcasting as i should be safe from people piggybacking
or are there any other options
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/41.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Make sure you use wpa2 to get wireless n speeds as I found out when setting mine up :)

Or you set it up for mac address filtering and just put your mac address in and nobody else can connect :)

Daveo

AbyssUnderground
06-08-2009, 11:40
Or you set it up for mac address filtering and just put your mac address in and nobody else can connect :)

Take this advice with a pinch of salt, since its very very easy to spoof MAC addresses and that means anyone can gain access to your network with basic know-how.

Buffalo12
06-08-2009, 13:10
Take this advice with a pinch of salt, since its very very easy to spoof MAC addresses and that means anyone can gain access to your network with basic know-how.

Very much so. Do not rely on the MAC address to control the access to your wireless network. The MAC address is broadcast during the connection handshake and can be easily picked up. The only real security for wireless is to use WPA TKIP or higher. Anything below, especially WEP, can be broken quickly. MAC addresses are easily spoofed, even the Netgear Router has the capability to spoof the MAC address.

pjcoop
06-08-2009, 13:28
Hi,

I had the same problem when I set up my 50Mb/s with the Netgear router yesterday!! I solved it by moving the channel from Auto to 10. (I think there are a lot of Netgear wireless routers around my area using the same channel)

You are right about the download speeds slowing when using WEP etc... I also used the MAC address access list - but the addition of turning off SSID name broadcast. This means that your network name is not broadcast - so in order to gain access to your network the 'intruder' would have to know your SSID and your MAC address (Make sure you change your SSID to something impossible to guess - certainly don't leave it as NETGEAR). Data is not incrypted but I get 48MB/s now. I feel this is a reasonable compromise.
What does everyone else think?? (I'm happy to be proved wrong).
Paul

jamiefrost
06-08-2009, 14:52
Again I'd take this with a pinch of salt turning of SSID and leavign the securtiy off will only protect you from very simple attacks.

Lots of programs are avaialble via the net to sniff out MAC addresses and SSIDs. Discovering a hidden SSID is very easy.

As mentioned above use the highest possible security settings you can. WEP is practically worthless now if you want proper security.

JJ

azcomposer
06-08-2009, 14:59
Again I'd take this with a pinch of salt turning of SSID and leavign the securtiy off will only protect you from very simple attacks.

Lots of programs are avaialble via the net to sniff out MAC addresses and SSIDs. Discovering a hidden SSID is very easy.

JJ

Agreed.

MAC address filtering is good, but not foolproof. Hiding SSID is good, and also not foolproof.

Those who want will find a way to sniff and get what they need. Not your average user, though, but anyone who knows (or finds out) what they are doing.

Any kind of encryption will slow the connection down because of encryption/decryption, but not to the point of really slow.

Buffalo12
06-08-2009, 16:19
Hi,
...so in order to gain access to your network the 'intruder' would have to know your SSID and your MAC address..
Not broadcasting your SSID does not make your network any less visible than a network that has their SSID broadcast. All it means is that it will show as an unidentified network.

You should only every consider MAC addresses as a convenient means of assisting you to identify the device and managing that device when it is attached to the network. It is very, very easy to determine the MAC address when they are connecting to the Wireless Network. The various sniffer programs available will pick these details up within a few minutes of identifying a network.

Remember also that the WEP was only intended as an interim standard for wireless security and breaking into a WEP secured wireless network is now achievable in seconds rather than minutes.

WPA security is a higher level and with TKIP security has only been broken to-date by brute force password attack. It is true it was broken in Germany around September 2008 however those conditions were unique and relied upon UPnP capability with QoS packet management. That, laboratory based, attack took a long time and a significant number of transmitted packets and connections.

You are more likely to encounter reduction in speed due to data transmission corruption or due to interference or weak signal than you are by the current algorythms used to decrypt the transmission using WPA TKIP.

Do not be lulled into belief that it is drive-by war-chalkers who will compromise you network. It is more likely that it will be someone in your locality. When, and if, they do then you may then be faced with explaining how it happened.

Even if WPA(2) did significantly impact speed is the security of your systems and data worth 1 or 2 kilobits of speed?

musicbravo
06-08-2009, 16:27
OK i'm not sure if the op knows this but is your operating system up to date Win xp sp2 or later? If not you will not be able to use WPA2. I know this is unlikely to be the problem but wasworth throwing it into the equation

Ben B
06-08-2009, 17:31
OK i'm not sure if the op knows this but is your operating system up to date Win xp sp2 or later? If not you will not be able to use WPA2. I know this is unlikely to be the problem but wasworth throwing it into the equation

SP3 enables WPA2 support

musicbravo
06-08-2009, 17:58
Definately SP2
This article describes the Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) Update. You can install this update on a computer that is running Windows XP with Service Pack 2- Taken from microsoft website.

However is was an update that came just after SP2 so SP3 would take care of it. So really a bit of both

Ben B
06-08-2009, 18:16
Definately SP2
This article describes the Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) Update. You can install this update on a computer that is running Windows XP with Service Pack 2- Taken from microsoft website.

However is was an update that came just after SP2 so SP3 would take care of it. So really a bit of both

Yeah probs why my network only appeared as WPA2 after I installed SP3 cause I didn't install that update

talkingh
08-08-2009, 18:49
Well been perfect for few days then tried to connect today, won't and got the classic seof assigned ip address...any cures for this nightmare