PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with cable modem that "snoozes" and requires restart

AtW
04-08-2009, 13:06
Hi all,

I've come across with weird problem on my 10 Mbit account with cable modem (software version: SB5101E-0.4.1.4-SCM02-NOSH) "snoozing" like once every 24-48 hours - this results in no connection on PC connected to it directly unless cable modem is restarted manually (pulling the power plug on it), attempt to access it at normal IP address of 192.168.100.1 don't work.

Can it be side effect of STM? This is really bizarre and happening fairly consistently now (3rd time!).

Alex

Mick Fisher
04-08-2009, 18:28
You can't access te modem if you are connected via a proxy. I dunno if that might have anything to do with it?

Sounds like it is dropping the connection at odd times. Might be a signal level issue?

You will need a tech to look at it so reporting it is probably the way to go.

AtW
04-08-2009, 20:18
You can't access te modem if you are connected via a proxy. I dunno if that might have anything to do with it?

I am not connected to it by proxy - modem is plugged in via Ethernet directly to network card in a PC: whilst being on that PC I can't connect to it on the usual internal IP, I had to unplug it to make it work.

The issue appears to be not so much as disconnect of modem - all lights on it are fine, but the fact that somehow computer is not able to received/access modem itself, grrr. Getting new modem next week for 50 Mbits and hope it ain't got same issue!

Peter_
04-08-2009, 20:22
I am not connected to it by proxy - modem is plugged in via Ethernet directly to network card in a PC: whilst being on that PC I can't connect to it on the usual internal IP, I had to unplug it to make it work.

The issue appears to be not so much as disconnect of modem - all lights on it are fine, but the fact that somehow computer is not able to received/access modem itself, grrr. Getting new modem next week for 50 Mbits and hope it ain't got same issue!
Post the modem power levels for us to check over.

The new modem uses the same IP to login but has a different interface as it is made by a different company.

AtW
04-08-2009, 20:25
Post the modem power levels for us to check over.

The new modem uses the same IP to login but has a different interface as it is made by a different company.

How can I see power levels if I can't connect to modem (when such snooze happens) using 192.168.100.1? There is no connection via web to the modem - but it all works if modem is restarted (via power plug), the lights on it before it happens look fine, ie connected.

Here are the current settings (all works fine):

Frequency 339000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 35.4 dB
Power Level 0.8 dBmV

Channel ID 3
Frequency 29200000 Hz
Power 32.0 dBmV

Peter_
04-08-2009, 20:39
Signal To Noise Ratio 35.4 dB Spot on
Power Level 0.8 dBmV Spot on

Power 32.0 dBmV Should be above 34 so may be the problem.

Your upstream is on the low side and may require a engineer to adjust it so a call to Tech Support may be in order.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

AtW
04-08-2009, 20:42
Will do that, thanks for the tip!

AtW
05-08-2009, 00:02
Hmm, just checked another cable modem that works perfectly and found that it has got 31.0 dBmV upstream, 35.4 dB down. :dozey:

Peter_
05-08-2009, 07:01
Hmm, just checked another cable modem that works perfectly and found that it has got 31.0 dBmV upstream, 35.4 dB down. :dozey:
That Upstream is to low.

phoenix__
07-08-2009, 14:08
I'm having the exact same problem, anything from 4 days to 6 hours apart the machine which is directly connected to the modem looses all network traffic (including to the modem itself).

Running tcpdump whilst trying to talk to the modem only shows an ARP request for our default route (81.101.184.1) with no reply.

The modem looks fine, and when I can talk to it, has power levels of 37.5 dB downstream SNR, 0.4 dBmV receive power and 46.3 dBmV upstream. I managed to get an engineer out last weekend who said everything looked fine but if it happens again they might need to replace the modem (which was posted to me yesterday) - we'll see if that fixes it, although I'm not convinced. I don't believe it was co-incidence that these problems started the same weekend that my IP address changed complete subnets (the only other time there was a subnet change was when they do maintenance).

We shall see.

AtW
07-08-2009, 14:12
Update - I think I located at least ONE issue that was causing it, which was software that I used: Port Forwarding Wizard home edition - it had limit of 50 connections and after that it clearly had a bug that was using up port numbers, switched to Pro version now which seems ok.

Not 100% convinced this was the only reason - next week getting 50 Mbits modem so hopefully this issue won't happen.

AtW
08-08-2009, 12:29
No, it happened again without that software - modem "snoozed", had to reboot it, bugger - too busy to get into support calls right now, will wait for new 50 mbits modem in a few days time.

AtW
11-08-2009, 09:49
Just got new modem for new 50 mbits connection - asked about upstream power levels and tech guy said they were fine, he mentioned that modem that I had is known to have issues with over 4 Mbit connections. I hope new modem won't snooze out.

AtW
14-08-2009, 21:44
This is just for completeness - I have not experienced any more "modem snoozing" now that I got upgraded to new modem with 50 Mbits connection. So, looks like it was modem all the time - upstream values are ok according to engineer and they did not change (much) with new modem.

Peter_
14-08-2009, 22:18
This is just for completeness - I have not experienced any more "modem snoozing" now that I got upgraded to new modem with 50 Mbits connection. So, looks like it was modem all the time - upstream values are ok according to engineer and they did not change (much) with new modem.
You are using a different Docsis and possibly on a different uBR so it may not have been the modem and the only way to have checked would have been to replace your old modem with a 256 before your upgrade.

But at least your connection is now stable so that is a plus point.

AtW
14-08-2009, 22:20
It is possible for sure, the tech guy however mentioned that they replaced lots of those modems because they got problems: either way 50 Mbits is the way to go given how crappy STM is - when it used to be Telewest's blueyonder we never had this stuff, I blame NTL may it's name burn in hell...