PDA

View Full Version : Virgin National launch new products

BenMcr
03-08-2009, 15:41
http://virgin.net/allyours/

Virgin will now give the fastest speed possible avaliable on the line - up to 20Mbit in LLU areas

They are also now doing phone rental as well - so no need to pay BT even in ADSL areas

10Gb monthly usage is £10* a month + £11 Virgin Phone rental

40Gb monthly usage is £14* a month + £11 Virgin Phone rental

Unlimited monthly usage is £20* a month + £11 Virgin Phone rental

*slightly higher prices may apply in non-LLU areas

broadbandking
03-08-2009, 22:52
What if I use more downloads than my package?

If you use more downloads than what's included in your broadband package, we'll reduce your download speed for the rest of that month. The next month, your service will simply go back to the normal speed. And of course, we won't charge you for any extra downloads you use. Plus, unlike some other providers, we won't swap you to a higher download package unless you ask us to

This part got me thinking what do they reduce your speed to?

Other than that the new service levels do look very good, hopefully they will do well.

BenMcr
03-08-2009, 23:00
I would assume 512Kb, the same as if your managed due to excessive usage, but I will find out tomorrow

dilli-theclaw
04-08-2009, 07:32
I would have guessed 80k, but we'll see what BenMcr says later :)

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 08:10
80K near dial up thats really bad, is the traffic management the same on the unlimited package as it is on the old packages.

dilli-theclaw
04-08-2009, 08:59
I hope they've changed it, at the moment if I download too much on a night I get put down to 512 then if it's too much in a week it's onto 80 for all on peak hours for the following week. I think the up to 20mb is different.

joglynne
04-08-2009, 09:14
Not to sure where to put this press release but as it is headedVirgin Media pledges to avoid unachievable speed claims for non-cable customers ...I thought here was as good a place as any.

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1316206&highlight=

BenMcr
04-08-2009, 09:58
then if it's too much in a week it's onto 80 for all on peak hours for the following weekThat has gone for everyone

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/faqs/trafficManagementFAQ.html

Zee
04-08-2009, 11:05
According to this link these are the prices:

http://virgin.net/allyours/broadband/index.shtml

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 13:11
So does post one adv on the posting.

I can see Virgin Cable traffic management going this way.

BenMcr
04-08-2009, 14:05
I would have guessed 80k, but we'll see what BenMcr says later :)
It's 256Kbit for the rest of the month if you go over the usage allowance.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the Unlimited package ;)

dilli-theclaw
04-08-2009, 14:09
I thought i was already on an unlimited package. but it seems alas not.

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 15:12
256Kbits aint too bad I guess better than 80K

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

I thought i was already on an unlimited package. but it seems alas not.

Subject to FUP ;)

dilli-theclaw
04-08-2009, 15:14
Even so, when I signed up (to bundle 1) it was listed as unlimited. But when I looked at my account thi morning it's now listed as broadband 'm'. Which unless I'm looking athte wrong thing is now 10gb a month.

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 15:21
Even so, when I signed up (to bundle 1) it was listed as unlimited. But when I looked at my account thi morning it's now listed as broadband 'm'. Which unless I'm looking athte wrong thing is now 10gb a month.

You are prob on the one closet to the new packages and prices.

BenMcr
04-08-2009, 15:32
Even so, when I signed up (to bundle 1) it was listed as unlimited. But when I looked at my account thi morning it's now listed as broadband 'm'. Which unless I'm looking athte wrong thing is now 10gb a month.I would get that clarified - because no-one is forced across so it should still be the same

dilli-theclaw
04-08-2009, 15:40
I just called and they said it was indeed now on the 10gb/month tariff.

Anyway I've sorted it now. I am going on to the unlimited one.

Zhadnost
04-08-2009, 15:46
Okay, I have a line that's used to be on bulldog (Pipex Homecall now), still attached to the Bulldox/C&W ADSLMax DSLAM at southampton exchange.

If I port the service to this, will I need to get reconnected to BT, then connected to Virgin, even though that will mean disconnecting my line and then reconnecting it to the same equipment.

broadbandking
04-08-2009, 15:50
Okay, I have a line that's used to be on bulldog (Pipex Homecall now), still attached to the Bulldox/C&W ADSLMax DSLAM at southampton exchange.

If I port the service to this, will I need to get reconnected to BT, then connected to Virgin, even though that will mean disconnecting my line and then reconnecting it to the same equipment.

Why you want to move to adsl

BenMcr
04-08-2009, 16:10

No - they would be able to port you directly to the Virgin service

With the new products they can even activate lines that have NEVER been connected to the BT exchange - at less cost than BT do ;)

Zhadnost
04-08-2009, 16:49
Why you want to move to adsl

I don't, I mean I really don't but this is a service that's at a premises where low-rate ADSL is the only option.

(Pipex are charging £53.50 for the broadband and £13.50 for the line rental)

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

No - they would be able to port you directly to the Virgin service

With the new products they can even activate lines that have NEVER been connected to the BT exchange - at less cost than BT do ;)

Weird, yet gratifying to know.

dilli-theclaw
08-08-2009, 09:52
I just had a letter from BT saying that as I will no longer be paying them for my phone service I will loose the 1571 BT answer.

Does virgin take over this or do I need to buy an answer machine?

Cheers, Dilli :)

edit - and caller display apprently.

BenMcr
08-08-2009, 10:42
http://virgin.net/allyours/faqs/talkFAQ.html#callFeatures

What calling Features will Virgin Media offer?

We will offer a selection of the most popular calling features:

Call Waiting
Call Display
Call Barring
Anonymous Call Reject
Voicemail Plus
Choose to Refuse

dilli-theclaw
08-08-2009, 10:47
Cheers for that. I will call them the day before it happens to get them put on then :)

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2009, 18:11
HHHmmm well today was supposed to be my transfer day from BT to Virgin. I got home and found that my caller disaplay and answer service don't work.

So I called to get them put on (as I thought I would) to be told that there is a hold up due to BT 'not being ready' to hand over the lines?

It sounded to me like it's not just me that this has happened to tho.

Ignitionnet
20-08-2009, 13:48
Weird, yet gratifying to know.

BT have to do it at a regulated price, Virgin can soak some of the cost up if they choose, BT have to ask Ofcom.