PDA

View Full Version : mb or kbps or KBit/s???????

kayc3660
03-08-2009, 13:49
I know this might sound daft, but, I am supposed to have the 2-10mb upgrade from Virgin. I know its only 'up to' but some speed tests give me a speed of 4+mb sometimes and never any more than 5+mb. Having tried a speed test recommended on this site namely Namesco BroadbandMax, my speeds are showing at, download 8428kbps and upload at 483kbps. Another site speed.io gives me 9251 KBit/s and 516 KBit/s. Why do some tests show MB and some kbps and some KBit/s and what does 8428kbps mean. Is it 8.428mb? Can someone please clarify for me what the difference is between kbps, KBits and MB cos its just confusing. I know my speed is probably less than it should be cos im using wi fi, but just not sure what the results mean and what I should expect, I live in Dagenham in Essex so shouldnt be too far from an exchange.
Thanks

homealone
03-08-2009, 14:48
M = 'mega' = times by 1 million

K = 'Kilo' = times by 1000

b = 'bit' = 1 digit of code - either a 1 or a zero

B = 'Byte' = there are 8 'bits' in a 'Byte'

So 20Mb = 20 million bits (Megabits) = 20,000Kb (Kilobits) = 2500KB (KiloBytes) = 2.5MB (MegaBytes)

8428Kb is 8.428Mb, as you say, which is fairly close to the 'up to' 10Mb you are signed up for.

Begize
03-08-2009, 14:51
Firstly, I guess you are on cable broadband rather than phone line (ADSL) so the distance from the exchange has nothing to do with it. It's possible that if your distance from the street cabinet might affect things though.

That said, your speed will vary as it depends on lots of variables and, to my mind, it looks like your speeds are probably OK.

As for the numbers - yes, you're right 8428 Kbps (kilobits per second) is the same as 8.428 Mbps (megabits per second).

MBps is megabytes per second but is not really relevant to UK broadband speeds at the moment as there aren't any that fast.

azcomposer
03-08-2009, 14:57
In addition, if the answer is in Somethingbits (Mbits, Megabits, Mb, Kilobits, Kbits, Kb etc...) then simply divide by 8 to give you the Somethingbytes (MBytes, MegaBytes, MB, KiloBytes, KBytes, KB etc...)

So, 10 Mbits = 1.26 MBytes (10 divided by 8). 50 Mbits = 6.26 MBytes

The majority of people misuse Mb by saying using it for both Megabytes and Megabits. However the correct usage is MB for MegaByte and Mb for Megabit.

kayc3660
03-08-2009, 15:18
Firstly, I guess you are on cable broadband rather than phone line (ADSL) so the distance from the exchange has nothing to do with it. It's possible that if your distance from the street cabinet might affect things though.

That said, your speed will vary as it depends on lots of variables and, to my mind, it looks like your speeds are probably OK.

As for the numbers - yes, you're right 8428 Kbps (kilobits per second) is the same as 8.428 Mbps (megabits per second).

MBps is megabytes per second but is not really relevant to UK broadband speeds at the moment as there aren't any that fast.

Thanks for that, as long the 8428kbps means 8.428mb, it makes sense, now I can check it and know what Im seeing, thanks again everyone.

dave6x
03-08-2009, 15:27
Thanks for that, as long the 8428kbps means 8.428mb, it makes sense, now I can check it and know what Im seeing, thanks again everyone.
Nooooo it means 8.428Mbps!!!

kayc3660
03-08-2009, 15:41
Nooooo it means 8.428Mbps!!!

OK then, Mbps its still ok if my broadband speed is up to 10Mbps, is it? or is it 10mb which is how its written most places, bits and bytes wont ever make any sense to me, just wanted to make sure that I was getting the broadband speed (up to) that I am paying for my bill says up to 10Mb, they dont make it easy do they one capital in the wrong place and its all wrong!!! The speed test sites seem to use lower case 'mbps' still dont know what the 'ps' is for but as long as the speeds ok then I dont need to. Thanks again for your help.

Kymmy
03-08-2009, 15:43
Hey he is with Virgin so it might mean 8.428 millibits :D :p: ;)

dave6x
03-08-2009, 15:51
M = 'mega' = times by 1 million

K = 'Kilo' = times by 1000

b = 'bit' = 1 digit of code - either a 1 or a zero

B = 'Byte' = there are 8 'bits' in a 'Byte'

So 20Mb = 20 million bits (Megabits) = 20,000Kb (Kilobits) = 2500KB (KiloBytes) = 2.5MB (MegaBytes)

8428Kb is 8.428Mb, as you say, which is fairly close to the 'up to' 10Mb you are signed up for.

Take care with the units and multipliers:

In Si the prefix kilo- "k" means x 1000

In binary computing terms the prefix Kilo- has been widely adopted to mean x 1024

The IEC approved prefix for this have not been widely adopted and they would kibi- and mibi-

Thus:

1kilobit(decimal) = 1000bits

1Kilobit(binary) = 1024bits = 1kibibit (1kibit)

AbyssUnderground
03-08-2009, 15:53
"ps" = per second

dave6x
03-08-2009, 15:55
Hey he is with Virgin so it might mean 8.428 millibits :D :p: ;)

Hehe loving it!!! At least you understand the difference!!!

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

OK then, Mbps its still ok if my broadband speed is up to 10Mbps, is it? or is it 10mb which is how its written most places, bits and bytes wont ever make any sense to me, just wanted to make sure that I was getting the broadband speed (up to) that I am paying for my bill says up to 10Mb, they dont make it easy do they one capital in the wrong place and its all wrong!!! The speed test sites seem to use lower case 'mbps' still dont know what the 'ps' is for but as long as the speeds ok then I dont need to. Thanks again for your help.

I've done a quick Google, maybe these references will help!

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

http://www.simetric.co.uk/siprefix.htm (http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/)

homealone
03-08-2009, 15:58

In binary computing terms the prefix Kilo- has been widely adopted to mean x 1024

The IEC approved prefix for this have not been widely adopted and they would kibi- and mibi-

Thus:

1kilobit(decimal) = 1000bits

1Kilobit(binary) = 1024bits = 1kibibit (1kibit)

All true, but for someone who already was saying they were confused I thought I'd try to keep it simple :)

dave6x
03-08-2009, 16:02
The speed test sites seem to use lower case 'mbps'

Post the links for these guilty sites and we'll give 'em a kick!!

Already had a run-in with the BBC about their misleading speedtest site a few months ago!!!

Kymmy
03-08-2009, 17:07

Even greater care needs to be taken as 'K' (as in the capital letter) is Kelvin and a form of temp measurement where as 1000 multiplier is as you say a lower case 'k'

Same as 'M' = Mega and 'm' = milli and 'B' = byte and 'b' = bit

broadbandking
03-08-2009, 17:14

Its the signal that effects the length which can be helped by adding the customer to a higher tap or upgrading the cable from RG6 to RG11

FairyFairy
03-08-2009, 17:36
Well at least I know why I am getting it muddled up then.:dunce:

Just call them 2 thingymyabits -- which are now 10 for me

bigsinky
03-08-2009, 18:41

erm......................is the new 50Mbit service not 6MB/sec?