PDA

View Full Version : 50MB - ridiculous speed results

sirshambling
31-07-2009, 18:15
Here are a couple of ludicrous results I've just got from Speedtest.net at the London server. Also a more sensible one from thinkbroadband.co.uk

Can anybody please explain how I can get 27MB result from thinkbroadband and over 150MB from Speedtest?

And also how I can get some kind of accurate estimate of the true speed I'm getting?

Thanks. John.

DigitalShadow
31-07-2009, 18:24
Nice

PaulH225
31-07-2009, 21:47
And also how I can get some kind of accurate estimate of the true speed I'm getting?

Personally, I'd say go to http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/ and set off 4 or 5 large simultaneous downloads. Give them a minute to settle and then add up the combined speeds, that will give you a better average than the speedtest sites. It eliminates speedtest server load as a factor as well as internet routing because the site is on VM's network.

Paul

sirshambling
31-07-2009, 22:08
Thanks Paul, I've spent some time doing just that. VM's Tech Support are of the view that their file download is the only reliable way to measure speed. If I use their 8 x the total and add 10% as their manual suggests then I score somewhere between 40MB and 47MB which may be the best I'm going to get in terms of accuracy.

I'm going to continue to try speedtest.net though as I want to set the world record speed for a 50MB connection. I've already had several tests over 250MB.

AbyssUnderground
01-08-2009, 14:20
Speedtest.net will never show an accurate speed for such a connection because its test file is too small. Also 50Mbps is subject to huge bursts of speed, and speedtest.net picks this up and makes it biased. You are much better off downloading several files at once as mentioned above and adding them together. The only half good thing speedtest.net is good for is upload testing, and even that isn't very accurate either.

pjcoop
02-08-2009, 01:30
I wouldn't complain....
I'm on 20Mb/s and normally get about 1.5Mb/s download speed!!
(soon be on 50Mb/s though.. so hopefully that'll sort it out)
Paul

Jabbs
02-08-2009, 08:05
I had 278 on speed test hence why i will never trust them as proper results.

Nidge
02-08-2009, 09:11
Here are a couple of ludicrous results I've just got from Speedtest.net at the London server. Also a more sensible one from thinkbroadband.co.uk

Can anybody please explain how I can get 27MB result from thinkbroadband and over 150MB from Speedtest?

Thanks. John.

Go here for a true readin Clicky Clicky Clicky. (http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/) Click on Blueyonder games and select Battlefield, select patches then select win32, download 3-4 large files, leave them to settle for a few seconds then see what speed you are getting. The only true reading you'll get is from the Virgin main server.

Jabbs
02-08-2009, 10:11
Or you can try Usenet.