PDA

View Full Version : Installation Times

Dynix
31-07-2009, 17:36
Hello,

I'm moving house over the weekend and ordered VM 50MB for the new house a few days ago. Received an email last night and the installation date they are offering me is about a week after what I picked.

This is pretty bad for me! I'm self-employed and need the Internet for what I do, I was fine with a few days loss of access as I'll be busy for a number of days sorting things out, but two-weeks isn't good at all.

Is there any way to speed up this process? I would quite happily pay £x to get it installed quicker, else I may have to look elsewhere if they can get it done quicker which isn't something I particularly wish to do.

I'll be giving VM a ring tomorrow to see if anything can be done. Not completely sure if it's already cabled up or not until I take a look tomorrow, but the previous tenants believed it isn't. Thought it may be worth asking here first.

Regards

SnoopZ
31-07-2009, 17:41
You might be able to phone up to see if their are any cancellations, i'm sure others on this forum can give a better answer.

In the mean time have you thought about a pay as you go internet dongle?

jungleguy
01-08-2009, 10:25
I don't understand why if the internet is so important you have decided to order shortly before you move in!!

Dynix
02-08-2009, 14:34
You might be able to phone up to see if their are any cancellations, i'm sure others on this forum can give a better answer.

In the mean time have you thought about a pay as you go internet dongle?

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see, fingers crossed there is.

I've had a look at the old NTL box outside and it looks like it's been disconnected/messed with. Wouldn't dare touch it myself, though.

I don't understand why if the internet is so important you have decided to order shortly before you move in!!

I couldn't order it until I had the keys to the house incase anything cropped up, which was only on Thursday!

Regards

SnoopZ
02-08-2009, 14:59
I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see, fingers crossed there is.

I've had a look at the old NTL box outside and it looks like it's been disconnected/messed with. Wouldn't dare touch it myself, though.

I couldn't order it until I had the keys to the house incase anything cropped up, which was only on Thursday!

Regards

Touching the NTL box would be pointless yourself. Firstly its illegal and secondly you won't get any service without Virgin providing you with an account.

I'd get yourself a pay as you go mobile internet dongle to tide you over until it's all installed, unless you live in an area where you can't get it.

VirginAreNumptys
04-08-2009, 16:59
Count yourself lucky dude - i'm in the same situation - only 6 weeks later they've now decided to tell me they can't do it at all!

Dynix
06-08-2009, 01:37
I'd get yourself a pay as you go mobile internet dongle to tide you over until it's all installed, unless you live in an area where you can't get it.

Fortunatly the iPhone's tethering capabilities came very handy so I've at least been able to access the things I need to!

Also, I did give VM a ring and they are installing it this Friday (7th) as I originally wanted :)

If all goes well, I will be very pleased with VM!

Dynix
07-08-2009, 16:01
A nice guy just came round and hooked everything up. Very pleased with VM :)

We were having a bit of a laugh at the speedtests, though...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/08/35.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

The speedtests he did ran anywhere from 70-400MBit. Slightly odd, but everything seems to be working fine :)

SnoopZ
07-08-2009, 16:11
The speedtests he did ran anywhere from 70-400MBit. Slightly odd, but everything seems to be working fine :)

Clearing your internet cache will fix that odd reading.