PDA

View Full Version : 50Mbps Install on the 14th

WallaceTech
30-07-2009, 22:36
Hey guys.

I got shot of my V+ box at the start of the year and i am getting it back again on the 14th V happy (excuse the pun)

Anyway i am also upgrading from 10Mbps to up to 50Mbps. Now i am a Network engineer and was wondering how much control i have over the Modem and Router?

can i change the settings to what i want should i need to or is the device locked down?

Is the modem \ router one device or two?

If i can think of anything else i will shoot a question.

Thanks in advance

PaulH225
31-07-2009, 07:31
There's no control over the modem, that's all handled by VM as with any other tier. However, the router is a bog standard Netgear WNR2000 just like you'd buy online or in PCWorld and is yours to do with as you wish. Personally, I think I'm gonna replace mine as it can't do the port forwarding I want it to do and the options are a wee bit limited.

It's two devices, modem and router.

Hope that helps

WallaceTech
31-07-2009, 11:32
Thanks for the reply mate. Ok not to bothered about the modem but as long as i have control over the router.

It will be fun trying to slot it in to my network with my cisco and Linux firewalls.

Does the modem and the router connect together via RJ45 and the modem connect via the coax cable as normal?

Just trying to workout if i need to router for anything other than N Wireless. Do you know if the router will act as just a Wireless access point?

Cheers

Craig

Kymmy
31-07-2009, 11:46
The router should act as a WAP.

The setup is really exactly the same on all tiers (Cable connects to modem, Ethernet conencts modem to router, ethernet or wifi connects router to devices)

WallaceTech
31-07-2009, 12:07
The router should act as a WAP.

The setup is really exactly the same on all tiers (Cable connects to modem, Ethernet conencts modem to router, ethernet or wifi connects router to devices)

Thanks for your reply mate. Good stuff.

Craig

WallaceTech
14-08-2009, 11:12
Hi guys.

Well i have had my 50Mbps install and so far so good and getting the download speeds i wanted.

Please see my link.

Regarding the upload speed is the correct?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/539804677.png

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Also whats the contention ration on the 50 Mbps service?

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Also whats the contention ration on the 50Mbps service?

zing_deleted
14-08-2009, 11:15
speedtest is fine

WallaceTech
14-08-2009, 11:22
speedtest is fine

Thanks. any idea on the contention ratio?