PDA

View Full Version : 10mb lan card

musicbravo
29-07-2009, 15:36
Hi
Just wanting to ensure my theory is correct, my dad's computer has an old 10mb lan card with both bnc and rj45 connections (We are using the rj45). He has recently been uplifted to the new BB M but speed tests only showing 5mbps. My theory is this slow speed is most likely due to the 10mb lan card which is only capable of half duplex therefore limiting the broadband speed. I forgot to take my laptop with me so was unable to test speed over wireless at the time. I have suggested he replaces the lan card in any case

Graham M
29-07-2009, 15:40
Correct, go replace :)

musicbravo
12-08-2009, 00:36
Hi all just to update you, didnt replace the lan card, replaced the whole pc and everything is super fast apart from the internet

When corrected direct to the motorola SB4200 speed is not too bad (no quite 10mbit) however when going through the Netgear w614v9 it all goes to pot, connection becomes sparadic to say the least. Motherboad in new pc in ASrock n68-s which is an nforce 6 m/board with 100Mb LAN. I have tried playing with duplex settings etc but to no avail. Is it possible to be something to do with the router/modem/computer or a combination of all 3. VM are sending an ambit 256 nout just in case but otherwise i am at a loss, i'm sure it isnt cabling as this was fine before and moem signal levels are sweet. Any ideas?

zing_deleted
12-08-2009, 00:45
if its ok directly connected but not through a router then its your router. Perhaps upgrade the routers firmware. The new modem may help wait and see

musicbravo
12-08-2009, 00:48
bir worrying though the router is only a month old. Going back to my parents on Sunday and taking my router to test that theory anyhow so will keep you posted

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 01:51
Personally and this is personally...

Get rid of that AsRock board...

Is there any firewalls running on the machines, routers, etc?

musicbravo
12-08-2009, 10:53
Wgr614v9 has its inbuilt firewall turned on. I have tried PC with windows firewall turned on/off but to no avail. As i said direct connection works fine. PC has been built on a budget but researched the AS rock motherboard and although i know it is not the best, it is up the job it was built for (which doesnt involve gaming, my parents prefer the Wii). Like I say i'm gonna swap out the router on Sunday and replacement modem is on the way. If this doesnt work i csn be pretty sure it is the m/boards LAN controller, in which caser i would then think about replacing with different brand. Web crawler any suggestions?

zing_deleted
12-08-2009, 11:04
Nowt wrong with Asrock mobos in budget builds however the AM2+ market is well established and you can get Asus boards etc as cheap however thats not the point of this thread so I digress

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 13:36
Wgr614v9 has its inbuilt firewall turned on. I have tried PC with windows firewall turned on/off but to no avail. As i said direct connection works fine. PC has been built on a budget but researched the AS rock motherboard and although i know it is not the best, it is up the job it was built for (which doesnt involve gaming, my parents prefer the Wii). Like I say i'm gonna swap out the router on Sunday and replacement modem is on the way. If this doesnt work i csn be pretty sure it is the m/boards LAN controller, in which caser i would then think about replacing with different brand. Web crawler any suggestions?

Depends on your budget mate..

Zing, those boards are horrid, used to work at a local PC shop who would only fit asRock and you could almost put money on it that 3 out of 10 would come back..

zing_deleted
12-08-2009, 13:37
ive built loads of machines using them not seen many go bad and could most likely track a few thats years old and still running

How long ago did you work there? I remember 5 or 6 years ago hardware was failing from everyone a hell of a lot more that it appears to now

webcrawler2050
12-08-2009, 13:38
Granted, *some of them* are okay, like you say, they are good for "budget" box's

Graham M
12-08-2009, 14:07
Probably to do with the good old exploding capacitors trick?

musicbravo
12-08-2009, 14:20
Just to let you know problem solved, appeard to be down to a dodgy ethernet cable. Reset firmware and replaced cable and it works a treat. The ASRock rocks again.

http://speed.io/pics/2315/2049/speed.io.png (http://www.speed.io)

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Thanks for all the help :ghugs: