PDA

View Full Version : Omnibox location question

Alexstein
28-07-2009, 23:12
Evening all,

I am having my xxl internet installed on saturday morning and i had a question.

The omnibox i assume is the one that sits on the outside of the house. Can this box be placed inside at all?

Currently we have a BT line that has been cancelled coming into the bathroom through the exterior wall which we are fine having removed. the master DSL socket isbehind a large cabinet in the bathroom where there is plenty of space to locate another box once removed (see attached).

Thanks for any replys.
Alex

Stuart
29-07-2009, 01:10
Legally, that line is the property of BT. They also own the master socket. As such, Virgin are not allowed to touch either. You will need to get BT to physically remove the line, even if it is cancelled.

haydnwalker
29-07-2009, 10:40
The OP actually asked if the VM box on the outside of the house could be placed inside, and not whether virgin could remove the BT box...

But just to clarify for the OP - Stuart is correct that VM couldn't remove the BT box, BT would have to do this before VM did anything, though I don't think they would put the box inside the house, though I've never heard it be asked before so maybe they might.

Alexstein
29-07-2009, 11:44
Thanks.

I have no problem removing the old cables / box myself which would leave an exposed hole that the new cable can come in through. Its the easiest place for me to bring the cables into the house as the modem will need to go upstairs and i have trunking in place from the existing line.

v0id
29-07-2009, 13:14
Legally, that line is the property of BT. They also own the master socket. As such, Virgin are not allowed to touch either. You will need to get BT to physically remove the line, even if it is cancelled.

One could 'slip' with the vacuum cleaner several times until the BT box 'fell off' though, if one no longer uses BT

Kwak
10-08-2009, 17:20
There is a reason for putting the termination box outside, and that is so that you don't have to stay in and wait for a man from VM every time they want access and might need to check signal levels should they need to.

nodrogd
10-08-2009, 23:18
There is a reason for putting the termination box outside, and that is so that you don't have to stay in and wait for a man from VM every time they want access and might need to check signal levels should they need to.

Most people won't want all their services in the same place in the house. By terminating on the outside the cables can be split and run round the outside walls. Simpler, quicker and less unsightly than trying to run them from one point inside. Also makes life simple if the cable to your house is damaged and requires a repull.

Tony.
11-08-2009, 01:35
I like this idea :)
I have seen several of the brown boxes vandalised on the street where I live so this could prevent this.