PDA

View Full Version : All outgoing calls barred?

pgchimp
28-07-2009, 20:10
Hi

I am with Virgin for my land line and with an excellent package on 02 with my mobile phone, which gives me numerous free minutes and texts.

so much so that i never need to make a call from my Virgin Land line, I have read the many threads on this forum regarding unauthorised calls made at considerable expense with no knowledge of the phone owner making them.

I am thinking of asking VM to barr ALL outgoing calls from my land line to avoid this possible scenario, however from what i can gather it is possible to turn these calls off and on using a pin number. So if the worst happened and calls were made without authorisation, would VM just turn around and accuse me of turning the call barring off to make the calls myself

If so it would be a pointless exercise setting up call barring, or am i missing something.

Also i have looked on their web site and cannot find the costs involved to set this up and whether adding this service sets up a new 12 month contract

regards

meekboy
28-07-2009, 20:35
it will cost you £2.00 per month with no new contract

pgchimp
30-07-2009, 19:18
What I was trying to establish with my original question was

" Do es the person hacking the line to make unauthorised calls need to overide your pin number before he can make calls on the line?"

BenMcr
30-07-2009, 19:22
And the answer would be yes they would

Mr_Moo
31-07-2009, 00:25
As Ben said, yes.

The feature is added on the switch/exchange (not the local street cabinet) as software, like code almost.

pgchimp
02-08-2009, 09:10
Following your replies i rang CS on Friday tea time to add ALL call barring to my account, An indian male said it would be £2.00, gave me a pin number, and said it would be active within 24 hours

Todays Sunday and when i ring *341 hash to activate the message just says

" this service is not available from this phone"

How much longer do i need to wait as i am going away for a few days tomorrow and i dont trust the house sitter with the phone

Do Vm cs work on a sunday or is this just yet another cock up from them

Mr_Moo
02-08-2009, 11:48
What area do you live in?

Did CS tell you it's *341 ?

pgchimp
02-08-2009, 11:52
I live in TF4 3RL area 04 on my invoice

CS gave me *341 Hash to activate All Call barring which is what i ordered

BenMcr
02-08-2009, 12:01
Follow the instructions in the phone user guide here http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/pdf/phone-user-guides/main-guide.pdf

How you set up your features depends on which colour “zone” you’re in. So, before you get started just dial 1765 from your Virgin Media phone and we’ll tell you which one applies to you

pgchimp
02-08-2009, 12:23
Thanks Ben but it still does not work

i am in the BLUE zone and need all calls barred except emergency and free

So the instructions say * 34 then 1 (as i am in blue zone) then Hash

All I get is it is not possible to operate this service from this line

Any suggestions please

Mr_Moo
02-08-2009, 12:31
http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/pdf/centrex_systemX_0705.pdf

Section 35.

Hope that helps!

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

PM Chimp.

pgchimp
02-08-2009, 12:40
Checked out that page Mr Moo but it is now dated as the current codes start

*34 and not *38 as listed on that page

To be honest i dont think its been activated their end what else can i do??

Mr_Moo
02-08-2009, 12:42
Read my PM.

Email me your acccount number / phone number.

Or, give me your email address and I'll email you, just to clarify who I am and what I do for the company.

BenMcr
02-08-2009, 13:46
Thanks Ben but it still does not work

i am in the BLUE zone and need all calls barred except emergency and free

So the instructions say * 34 then 1 (as i am in blue zone) then Hash

All I get is it is not possible to operate this service from this line

Any suggestions please
If that doesn't work then it hasn't been set up at Virgin's end

In addition they should be able to apply one barring level for you as part of the activation

Mr_Moo
03-08-2009, 09:05
Chimp,

PM =)

pgchimp
03-08-2009, 18:54
To draw this thread to a close, it appears that the call barring was not set up in the first place by VM as stated.

With the help of Mr Moo I had call barring up and running by 9.am this morning so now i can go away for a few days knowing the phone bill will not rise over the period i'm away

Thanks to you all for suggestions especially Mr_Moo

Mr_Moo
06-08-2009, 14:18
No worries, happy to help =)