PDA

View Full Version : How do I get 20meg wireless

jabtas
28-07-2009, 20:33
Just had a V-Box install and 20meg upgrade done

Currently waiting for a new modem, so currently got the old modem linked up to my Linksys router

My laptop was running at around 14mps wireless this afty, but my PC can only manage 5 :(

The PC is connected wirelessly by the Linsys USB adapter that came with the router, is it just a case of changing this adapter for a 300mbit one, and if so, will the USB adapter supplied by Virgin (£20) do the job

Zain
28-07-2009, 21:38
just a quick question, do really you want the PC do be wireless? I leave mine connected via ethernet and laptop is wireless.. the ethernet gives a more stable approach then the wireless.. but they both max out really.

I'd wait for your new modem before making any changes, just incase the modem is at fault. Hope that helps in someway :)

Cobbydaler
28-07-2009, 21:45
You may be better with an internal wireless adapter with aerial if you have to have your PC connected wirelessly. I used to have XL & managed 18-19 with an internal adapter.

jabtas
28-07-2009, 22:02
I have to go wireless with the PC, as it in another room and totally impractical to runa cable into there with the room layout

My modem and router are behind the TV, and the Xbox 360 is hardwired to the router at the moment

Richy99
28-07-2009, 23:29
it all depends on what speed you can connect to the router at with the wireless, you may need to upgrade to N series equipment to get the full speeds

jabtas
29-07-2009, 09:31
Right, for some strange reason I have just discovered that the wireless adapter is plugged into a USB 1.0 port and not a 2.0

As an experiment I have plugged into a fast port, it successfuly connects to the router but it constantly fails to find a network address

Any Ideas ???

HardyRexion
29-07-2009, 11:17
If it is now in a usb 2.0 port and is successfully connecting router, first thing to try is rebooting the router. Also check that the wireless settings for the adapter were not reset when you changed to the faster port.

If its connecting to router it shouldn't be a firewall problem but if it is still not right try turning off your firewall briefly just to eliminate it as the source of your trouble

jabtas
29-07-2009, 11:26
Will give it a go, thanks

jabtas
30-07-2009, 09:23
Well I have tried allsorts of resetting and rebooting, all to no avail :mad::mad:

I found a long ethernet cable, and ran it across the room and managed to get around 13 D/L, I think this may be the limit of my old NTL 100 modem, still waiting for the new one they promised me :mad:, I think a phonecall may be required

Just how long can you get ethernet cables, if I need to run one right the way round under the carpet

SteevieNiteHeat
30-07-2009, 10:37
Well I have tried allsorts of resetting and rebooting, all to no avail :mad::mad:

I found a long ethernet cable, and ran it across the room and managed to get around 13 D/L, I think this may be the limit of my old NTL 100 modem, still waiting for the new one they promised me :mad:, I think a phonecall may be required

Just how long can you get ethernet cables, if I need to run one right the way round under the carpet

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think its about 100ft, although as with anything like this, the longer the lead, the slower the speed can occur, I personally have a 25metre CAT6 ethernet lead and it does the job fine, but Im sure some1 that knows more will post soon enough :)

azcomposer
30-07-2009, 10:51
The maximum for Cat5 is 200m in one go.

jabtas
30-07-2009, 10:57
Well that should be fine, I will probally gat away with around 20m

Job for the weekend

HSp8
30-07-2009, 10:57
could try homeplugs

my PC is at the top of the house and the router is downstairs

they work a dream (get 44Mb on 50Mb package)

freddo
30-07-2009, 11:55
As HSp8 says, try Powerline Adapters. i use them for my PC upstairs (modem is downstairs) and i am getting 19.70Mb on average for a 20Mb connection. Example:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ethernet_adapter_hdx101.php

You can get cheaper one that the example above. I use the ones that came with my BT Vision box.

One thing i found though is that the plug socket you attach it too can make a differnce to the speed you get. I suppose it depends on the quality of the wireing. Also mine is in an extension lead and working fine. However do not plug any other devices into the extension as it will slow the speed of internet.