PDA

View Full Version : What's A Re-pull?

Hiroki
26-07-2009, 12:29
Hi,

I got a phone call from Virgin media saying that they would be coming to my house on the 6th of August to do a re-pull to move my connection closer to my house.

Thing is I have no idea what this means or how it will benefit me, so does anyone know?

Thanks

zing_deleted
26-07-2009, 12:37
when they change your cabling all the way up from your streetside box iirc

Hiroki
26-07-2009, 12:42
Will it benefit me?

See what I know is that I am not connected near the connection at my front door (which the other 2 people with cable in the close is) I am connected on the other side of the close (some 40/50 ft away) and have nothing but trouble so will this re-pull/movement of connection solve my problems?

Also does this mean they will need to dig up my garden to find the cable wire again?

Thanks for the help

zing_deleted
26-07-2009, 12:46
it will if you need it. You will have to ask them quite possibly

Hiroki
26-07-2009, 12:48
it will if you need it. You will have to ask them quite possibly
This was sprung on me as they did all this on my behalf so it looks like I will have to contact them like you said.

Thanks again for the info.

altis
26-07-2009, 15:02
Cue for one of the best cable related threads of all time:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=152401

;)

Dai
26-07-2009, 16:13
OMG..... that's brilliant.

:eeek:

Hiroki
26-07-2009, 16:29

;)

Damn digital spy wont load for me, can anyone tell what the threads about pleeeease :D

Graham M
26-07-2009, 17:01
Hahah that made my afternoon, I remember it from when it was first posted :p:

Peter_
26-07-2009, 17:20
Damn digital spy wont load for me, can anyone tell what the threads about pleeeease :D
An engineer keeps going to a female customers house as she is forever needing a repull 2/3 times a week during office hours.:D:D:D:D:D

Slyder
26-07-2009, 18:50

;)

On page 3.. me and the misses are in pieces. :D

Chris
26-07-2009, 18:57
Ahem ... let's not forget the topic please. ;)

Hiroki
28-07-2009, 19:34
I called Virgin and asked what a re-pull is and 3 times on the phone nobody could tell me for sure and nobody could say if my garden would be disturbed. One bloke said to chase them if I wasn't happy in what they wanted to do to my garden.

Not much use really.

An engineer keeps going to a female customers house as she is forever needing a repull 2/3 times a week during office hours.:D:D:D:D:D

Haha that's great :D

monkey2468
28-07-2009, 20:31
If there is green ducting under your garden, then they can just pull the new cable through when they pull the old one out. (in theory!)

Hiroki
28-07-2009, 20:55
Yeah there is and it goes right through my garden and under the paving slab that's cemented down in front of the house.

The wire sorta comes through a crack in between the paving slab and the house

Madmartigan
29-07-2009, 23:53
A repull is where they completely relay the cable to your property. Over time the cable can degrade or get damaged and a repull needed. They can also be needed if you have lots of tv boxes to add additional cable.

If you are currently far away from a box and having problems chances are they're laying a new thicker cable.

Depends on the route of the cable into your property as to whether they have to dig up your garden, but it is more than likely that they will have to.

And yes it is very likely it will fix your problems.

weesteev
30-07-2009, 13:47
A repull will only be booked after an intitial fault appointment was bookedm and tech has attended, The technician will test the line and decide whether a repull is required and another timeslot is booked.

I take it you have had a fault appointment recently?

Chris
30-07-2009, 14:55
A repull will only be booked after an intitial fault appointment was bookedm and tech has attended, The technician will test the line and decide whether a repull is required and another timeslot is booked.

I take it you have had a fault appointment recently?

The OP states in post #3 that he has had 'nothing but trouble' - I think we can assume he has had at least one tech visit in the past ...

Hiroki
02-08-2009, 01:20
Well they were out 3 times in July and about 6 times this year and last year they replaced the drop (dunno what that is) to fix the problem with no luck. We've had none stop problems with the singnal since 2006 so fingers crossed this will finally fix it

After asking the other two neighbours in my area with cable (legally) they have had similar problems to me and vm employees are replacing the drop to their house too so it must be a common fault in my area. Also some network technicians (?) have been around lifting the grates and assessing them.

Thanks for Madmartigan & weesteev for the additional info and fingers crossed the problem will be fixed this week...shame about my poor garden