PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb - Should I?

Octimon
25-07-2009, 17:41
Probably been asked a thousand times but, specifically in Glasgow area, has anyone gone for it and what is it like?

I am tempted but I had such a horrendous experience when I upgraded to 20Mb that it's really putting me off going for 50Mb when my 20Mb has generally been rock steady once it eventually got resolved.

Cheers

moroboshi
25-07-2009, 18:21
I had 20mbit and had a world of problems with it. So many I downgraded to 10mbit as I was never getting anything like the speed I was supposed to get. The horrendous download caps/throttling made things even worse.

Recently however I decided to risk a 50mbit upgrade and it's a world apart from 20mbit. First of all, it's UNCAPPED! Truly a revelation. Secondly speeds are so much higher than before, and while they still fluctuate even on a bad day they're still around 30mbit. Mostly though, they're 45mbit or even higher.

My only gripes are that the upload is still utterly useless, making online backups a very, very slow process. This is one area Virgin desperately need to fix. Other than that though, it's great. I can click play on an HD movie on my Apple TV and it's ready to go within about 5 seconds, and will have downloaded an entire 2 hour film when I'm only about 15-20 minutes into watching it.

If you're a gamer I now get pings of between 7 and 15ms, which is fine for most games.