PDA

View Full Version : when will Virgin Media ever realise medeling doesnt help.

oojimmyflip
23-07-2009, 00:19
Hello People,

This is going to be another rant so if you don't want to hear it I'll understand if you don't read it.

In 1998 I moved to my present home and cable services were not available unless I paid for the cable to be burried in my extra long driveway.(at the end of a cul-de-sac). the orriginal installation team had simply gone past my driveway and missed 4 houses in the process.

so after arguing with the local planning office and years of discussions and paying out to have a private contractor digg up the drive I could finally have cable services installed in my home in the year 2002.

The cable had to be installed twice because they sent me the least intelligent installers they had who didnt have a drill so they could drill a hole in the bottom of the junction box in the street so they smashed the box with a hammer and the resulting shattered box damaged the cable as it was pulled through.

so intelligent were the installation team that they had to be watched by a supervisor the second time when they pulled a new cable.

I am now beginning to regret I ever paid out for the work to be done.

Until recently I was quite happy plodding along on the 2Meg broardband service, I build and maintain pc's as a hobby so I understand quite a bit about computers.

Now like another of the forum members I to was informed by post that I would be upgraded for free to up to 10Meg broardband.

the price of the 2Meg broardband service at the time was 14.99 per/month

when the so called free upgrade came along the letter that arrived to announce it asked that I go to a web page to upgrade my services.
I had also noticed a price hike of my broardband service to £18.00 per/month.

before actually taking the option to upgrade i decided to read some reviews on the new supposedly free upgrade as I was sure that I had somewhere read a review that said it was much worse than the 2Meg service.

after reading as many reviews as i could I made what i consider to be an informed decision to stay with the 2Meg M package and not to upgrade.
I telephoned Virgin Media customer services and like the other poster on this site was told I could remain on the 2Meg M package and the price would remain at 14.99
this adjustment would not be made until I recieved my next bill.

well my next bill has just arrived and in the last four weeks I have noticed a significant reduction in the performance of the broardband service, esspecially when sending emails which seem to be taking much longer than usual.

this months bill says that my broardband package is now package S and not M any longer and I am still being charged £18.00 a month for this inferior service.

speedtest.net reports download speeds of 1MB and upload speed if you can call it speed of 0.24MB

I have been spending most of today looking at other ISP's Im off Ive had enough of being treated like a moron by Virgin Media and yes youve guessed it this is not the first problem I have come across with Virgin Media.

why oh why do you have to meddle in something when it works so well? like your homepage type half of your search criteria the rest when the page finishes loading all of the rubbish adverts that I dont want to see.

Virgin even sacked the best problem solving people NTL ever had in favour of a web based serve yourself system that doesnt work.

I give up I don't want to talk to someone deep in the heart of India who cannot understand plain english, I no longer wish to be put through to the wrong department 6 times in succession after waiting 40 mins for someone to answer the telephone. why do you never improve the service why does it get worse as time progresses? does this mean you don't learn from your experiences? I think it does.

hopefully all the people with brains will desert you Virgin Media and this recession will bring you to your knees and perhaps you will start to wake up and realise that it is your customer base that puts the dinner on the table not you inferior upgrades that do little more than wreck what was once a pretty good service.

Nigel.

Ignitionnet
23-07-2009, 00:23
speedtest.net reports download speeds of 1MB and upload speed if you can call it speed of 0.24MB

Hi mate,

That's the same upload speed as you would have had on M broadband?

The S service is total arse, with nasty STM limits and throttling on it. You could fart in the direction of your modem and you'd be throttled. It's purely a retention tool, do give serious consideration to paying that bit extra for L.

In the interim good luck with getting the billing sorted out. The price you are on is correct for the S service though :(

oojimmyflip
23-07-2009, 00:26
is the (L) package throttled to? I dont see why I should be forced into taking a package I dont want, all I want is my orriginal 2Meg service back without the throttling applied.

Ben B
23-07-2009, 00:28
is the (L) package throttled to?

Yes, but not as severely. The M package wasn't as severely throttled as S either http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

BenMcr
23-07-2009, 00:29
Now like another of the forum members I to was informed by post that I would be upgraded for free to up to 10Meg broardband.

the price of the 2Meg broardband service at the time was 14.99 per/monthWhich would not have been Broadband M - which cost £18 since Feb 2007

when the so called free upgrade came along the letter that arrived to announce it asked that I go to a web page to upgrade my services.
I had also noticed a price hike of my broardband service to £18.00 per/month.Because the £14.99 price you were on was not Broadband M

this months bill says that my broardband package is now package S and not M any longer and I am still being charged £18.00 a month for this inferior service.Because the only way to keep you on an £18 price was put you on BB S. Broadband M (either 2Mbit or 10Mbit) has cost £20 a month since 1st May

oojimmyflip
23-07-2009, 01:25
actually your wrong this time, but I should have included this is in my entry.
I was recieving a years worth of rebate for suffering four months of outage owing to a fault that they couldn't find, until the cable all 150 mtrs was re-pulled.
so the bills still say package (M) right up until the recent change last month. this month it changed to (S).

and to correct you it was 14.99 a month instead of 18.00 a month, but thats what you get when you patiently put up with no service for so long and negeotiate a rebate for the agrro you have recieved. and also lets not forget the rebate given to those of us who have the xl phone package and broardband as a bundle.

Ben B
23-07-2009, 01:30
actually I was recieving a years worth of rebate for suffering four months of outage owing to a fault that they couldn't find.
so the bills still say package (M) right up until the recent change last month.

and to correct you it was 14.99 a month instead of 18.00 a month, but thats what you get when you patiently put up with no service for so long.

Ring up retentions they'll sort you out with a deal since you are thinking of leaving and you weren't given out the full details of what was going on.

BenMcr
23-07-2009, 01:44
actually your wrong this time, but I should have included this is in my entry.
I was recieving a years worth of rebate for suffering four months of outage owing to a fault that they couldn't find, until the cable all 150 mtrs was re-pulled.
Ok fair enough and yes you should have done. If you are going to have a rant it is best to be complete

so the bills still say package (M) right up until the recent change last month. this month it changed to (S).
Yes - because the underlying BB M price went up by £2 to £20 and then the 10Mbit program started. Again the only way to keep you on the underlying £18 price/2Mbit speed as you requested was to drop you down to BB S

and to correct you it was 14.99 a month instead of 18.00 a month, but thats what you get when you patiently put up with no service for so long and negeotiate a rebate for the agrro you have recieved.It was £18 a month with an additional credit to make it £14.99 (which you failed to mention) so maybe you should have corrected your original post before taking issue with my reply to the provided information

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Ring up retentions they'll sort you out with a deal since you are thinking of leaving and you weren't given out the full details of what was going on.They have already done that - which is why he is now on BB S