PDA

View Full Version : Withheld

Wayfair
22-07-2009, 19:36
I have a search about but can only find real old threads about this, I have just had my phone line changed from BT to Virgin.

They gave me a new number as I didn't really need to keep the old one and reg'd it with the TPS, I get at least 6 calls a day from automated insurance / finance / any old stuff sellers that are always withheld numbers.

Is there a code number I can use to activate a block to all withheld numbers please..

v0id
22-07-2009, 19:59
Sure, for an extra £2.50 p/m
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/phone/security/callreject.html

Kymmy
22-07-2009, 20:05
Also remember that TPS can take a few months before becoming effective as most companies only update thier own lists using TPS data two/three/four times a year

dave_dph
22-07-2009, 20:32
Complain to Virgin, they will change the number for you.

chrispy2000
22-07-2009, 21:23
As kymmy said register with Telephone Preference Service (TPS) http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/.
I used to get calls at all times now I only get the odd one then you I just mention TPS and they hang up.;)
Oh, and its free!

Wayfair
28-07-2009, 14:25
Dave I have not had the number long so not much point changing it as I spoke to Virgin and they said when accounts leave the numbers go back into a pool to be used, they have no idea what the former owners agreed to regarding calls, some people just give numbers out to any old bugger..so those buggers are now calling me.

chrispy, no mileage in telling the 'person' calling about the TPS as its all automated so unless I can program my toaster to talk to them its a bit pointless..

Signed up with the Anonymous caller rejection as per v0ids post and jobs a gud un as they say..

And I can turn it off if I need to.

Mr_Moo
29-07-2009, 23:51
The TPS thing will come in to affect, after time, though. So, better signing up for it now than later.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

May also be worth getting 'caller line identity' as not all those calls will be anon. You will never always know who is going to be on the end of the line, regardless of the features, until you answer it.

chrispy2000
30-07-2009, 06:14
May also be worth getting 'caller line identity' as not all those calls will be anon. You will never always know who is going to be on the end of the line, regardless of the features, until you answer it.

If you’re talking about Caller ID, there's a good chance that Wayfair doesn’t have it in their area.
It’s very hit and miss I don’t have it, but someone not five miles away does. It’s something VM are not investing in!