PDA

View Full Version : New Router?

helpint
22-07-2009, 09:45
Hi

I am getting my upgrade from 20Mb to 50Mb in a couple of days. I also think it's time to purchase a new router. Can anyone give me a recommendation based on your experience on which one to purchase? It needs to have wireless N and capable of at least two VPN tunnels.

Rich

Peter_
22-07-2009, 10:00
Hi

I am getting my upgrade from 20Mb to 50Mb in a couple of days. I also think it's time to purchase a new router. Can anyone give me a recommendation based on your experience on which one to purchase? It needs to have wireless N and capable of at least two VPN tunnels.

Rich
You get a free Netgear WNR2000 router and N dongle as part of your 50Mb package.

helpint
22-07-2009, 10:05
Not sure that will allow to to create 2 VPN's though.

dd11
22-07-2009, 10:06
I find the one supplied (Netgear WNR2000, wireless-N) great to be honest.

altis
22-07-2009, 11:26
Loadsa info:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/chart,119/

Does the router need to do VPN termination or just pass the stuff through?

smcaul
22-07-2009, 11:33
I have just set up a Darytek Vigor 2820n, the wnr2000 is pretty crap to be honest, it is fine for basic home use but trying to do anything more complicated with it is a pain. It does not have loopback which was causing me much messing around and I had to set up VPN on a PC rather then the router!

The Draytek is miles apart from the WNR, it supports up to 32 VPN's and you can have 4 virtual wireless networks which is ideal for keeping the kids machines out of the network files!!! Still getting to grips with all it can do but seems good so far.

I was also having problems with the WNR falling over if it was getting too much traffic through it, which was a right pain as it needed a hard reset to get it going again (no method of soft reset in the web config either) and mine is hidden away and not easily accessible. The draytek has not required a forced restart yet, which although only having been up for 24hrs is far far better then the WNR2000.

It was not cheap, £140ish (ex vat) but so far seems to have been worth the money!.

I got it because some others on here seemed to rate it. As for speeds, it seems to handle 50mb without a problem.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/07/36.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Sephiroth
22-07-2009, 11:39
Take a look at Draytek:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2930.html

Seems to fit the bill if I understand your 2 VPN tunnels requirement.

helpint
22-07-2009, 12:12
Thanks all. Vigor it is.

Dai
22-07-2009, 16:30
That Draytec looks very interesting. Am I understanding this wireless VLAN facility correctly? If I'm reading it right you can have 2 (or more) virtual LANs that cannot share one another's files?

I'm thinking about keeping my home wired LAN secure and separate from visiting wireless machines at my B&B. It would be very handy to be able to replace the old and complicated setup I have at the moment with one box that will do it all.

SnoopZ
22-07-2009, 16:36
Here's a review of the Draytec.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/212304/draytek-vigor-2820n.html

BenMcr
22-07-2009, 16:43
That Draytec looks very interesting. Am I understanding this wireless VLAN facility correctly? If I'm reading it right you can have 2 (or more) virtual LANs that cannot share one another's files?

I'm thinking about keeping my home wired LAN secure and separate from visiting wireless machines at my B&B. It would be very handy to be able to replace the old and complicated setup I have at the moment with one box that will do it all.
There are few others that do something similar - the Belkin routers have a 'guest' wireless option that only allows net access

smcaul
22-07-2009, 16:49

Thats how it works for me, I admit that I have not fully played with it yet, but out of the 4 VLANs I have 2 active, one has full access to net and all network devices the other is for the kids laptops which just has net access.

Dai
22-07-2009, 18:19
Thanks for that. I'm thinking I may have to look at the 2950 to get the gigabit LAN speeds. My wired subnet at the moment is all gigabit and I wouldn't want to lose that.

smcaul
22-07-2009, 20:04
The 2820 has one of the four wired lan ports as a gigabit, the other three are just 100mbit ports.

Pantsu-san
22-07-2009, 20:06
I find the one supplied (Netgear WNR2000, wireless-N) great to be honest.

Hmm. I've had the complete opposite experience. Hasn't ever worked correctly - kept disconnecting all wired and wireless clients when passing high amounts of traffic. To make matters worse, Virgin pointed me to Netgear to get it resolved as they didn't want to know, initially.

Now, Netgear, to anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of dealing with them, are the biggest shower of pricks I've ever had the misfortune of talking to. I wish them nothing but insolvency and a large, fatal dose of HN-51 and/or syphilis.

Finally got Virgin's attention again with a swift mention of buying a new router at my expense and billing Mr Burkett and I'm currently awaiting a replacement.

So, in my own experience, the WNR-2000 is a shambles. But, you get what you pay for, I suppose.....

Dai
22-07-2009, 20:18
The 2820 has one of the four wired lan ports as a gigabit, the other three are just 100mbit ports.

Hmmm. I guess that could do the job. I'll just have to keep the existing gigabit switch in the LAN to hold onto the transfer speeds.

Just realised 2950 does not have the wireless capability.

Russ
22-07-2009, 20:57
Can we keep the tone civil please....

Sephiroth
22-07-2009, 22:04
Thanks for that. I'm thinking I may have to look at the 2950 to get the gigabit LAN speeds. My wired subnet at the moment is all gigabit and I wouldn't want to lose that.
If you've got LAN functions such as NAS that rely on Gigabit then I see your point. If your LAN only feeds a printer and the internet, the Gigabit gives you nothing because of WAN speed.

If you have NAS, then you could use the wired internet for that at Gigabyte speed and the Wireless LAN for internet.

Dai
22-07-2009, 22:22
If you've got LAN functions such as NAS that rely on Gigabit then I see your point. If your LAN only feeds a printer and the internet, the Gigabit gives you nothing because of WAN speed.

If you have NAS, then you could use the wired internet for that at Gigabyte speed and the Wireless LAN for internet.

I do push a lot of files around the LAN, both to a NAS box and to the FTP server so I'm quite keen to keep the local speed. However, since I already have a good giga switch I guess it's not a problem.

:)