PDA

View Full Version : High Latency when gaming

Spooky_uk
22-07-2009, 02:14
The past few weeks PC gaming has been nigh on impossible due to the lag experienced. ON a 20mb connection and diwnloads speed fine even pings don't seem too bad but actual gaming in cod4 for example is a nightmare. unplayable. Previous to that it was fine and nothing else has changed at my end.

Enquired with Vm and they stated my router is the problem, but its fine (a brand new linksys WRT320N).
This evening tried changing the DNS records to opendns and hey presto - flying again. changed back to the VM ones (4 & 8) and lag city again.

Although I gather its not a new problem its the first time I have had this issue in this area. Are VM ever going to sort it?
Also, would a 50mb suffer the same issues if they use the same DNS servers as well? tia.

Toilet-Duck
22-07-2009, 02:26
Run a trace to see where its coming from...

Go to Start > RUN > Type CMD > Enter > Type tracert www.jolt.co.uk

Paste results here, it will tell you where the abouts on the network the lag is coming from.

Kymmy
22-07-2009, 08:46
I never understand how or why DNS can cause lag within the game???

99% of games don't even use the DNS system but relies totally on IP's so how can VM DNS servers be at fault, also even if it used DNS to get the server IP from a FQDN the game would then cache the IP address after the first time and never need it again for that session..

Dai
22-07-2009, 11:07
That one puzzled me as well. Is there any reason that a bog-standard Windows system running just a game on top of the usual background services might reach out to DNS servers?

Spooky_uk
22-07-2009, 12:09
I never understand how or why DNS can cause lag within the game???

99% of games don't even use the DNS system but relies totally on IP's so how can VM DNS servers be at fault, also even if it used DNS to get the server IP from a FQDN the game would then cache the IP address after the first time and never need it again for that session..

somehoe or some way it is linked becasue swapping them to opendns resolves the issue totally.
:confused: