PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to Xbox Live - DNS servers can't resolve names?

arkracer
21-07-2009, 18:15
My current setup is this:

Xbox 360 -> Router -> Set top box

When I try to connect I get an error message saying that the DNS servers couldn't resolve the names of Xbox Live or something like that. When I remove the router and try to connect directly through the modem it says that it doesn't have an IP address (but I know you're not meant to do that anyway). When I connect my laptop to the router I can't access the internet either.

I have tried opening the appropriate ports on the router, to no success. All other settings are at their default. My set-top box is a Samsung model with the NTL logo on it, and my router is a Pro-Nets RT514S. Does anyone else (try to) connect to Xbox Live with this setup? How do you get it to work?

jellybaby
21-07-2009, 19:00
Do you switch the modem off then back on when changing things?

arkracer
21-07-2009, 19:18
Do you mean the one which my PC is connected to or my set-top box? I have just power-cycled them both to no result.

jellybaby
21-07-2009, 19:33
ok, read you post again and I may be able to help you more lol.

your easiest way of doing things would be...

1 connect you pc direct to the Set top box.(reset Set top box)
2 try navigating to a web page. It may take you to a provisioning page, enter the details it asks for.
3 once you are connected to the internet, and can browse, put the router back into the configuration.
4 go in to admin page of the router and clone the mac address of the set top box.
5 reset everything and hopefully you'll still be able to get on to the internet.
6 plug your xbox in to the router and away you go

Fingers crossed :)

arkracer
21-07-2009, 20:20
Connecting my netbook directly to the set-top box is difficult; only once has it said that it's actually connected, and even then it says that it can't find the server when I try to go anywhere.

jellybaby
21-07-2009, 20:32
you normally have to go through a 'provisioning' process when you connect new things to the set top box. Have you done this with your netbook?

arkracer
21-07-2009, 20:59
Nnnnoo? What's that? :S

Maybe I'll just phone VM.

Ben B
21-07-2009, 21:00
You'd probably be best off ringing them and getting a modem sent instead of using the set-top-box which isn't supported anymore, as you will need one anyway when the 2mb-10mb upgrade is in your area.

arkracer
21-07-2009, 21:04
I use a modem to connect to the internet normally. It's just that the modem and my PC are upstairs, and I can't connect the modem to my router/Xbox which are downstairs.

SnoopZ
21-07-2009, 21:07
Unless i'm missing the point here, you want to connect via a set top box to the internet even though you have a stand alone modem?

Well i believe you can't get internet through the set top box if you've had your internet account moved to the modem? Unless you're paying for 2 accounts?

Ben B
21-07-2009, 21:09
Well you can't use the STB if you have a modem. You could however bring the modem downstairs and connect the cable input from the set top box into that. For convenience you might want to get either: a long ethernet cable to wire upstairs, a homeplug to use home wiring to connect to XBOX, or an XBOX wireless adaptor.

arkracer
21-07-2009, 21:46
I haven't a clue about how this stuff works. It's all unbearably weird.

So you're saying I have to do loads of work to get it to connect? Ugh.

I'm not bringing the modem down because then I'd have no access on my PC. It's also attached to some cable or other going into the ceiling so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

A homeplug looks like the best solution but they're damn expensive. I don't have a wireless router so an equally expensive wireless adapter is also out of the question. A long ethernet cable is just impractical.

Where'd be the best place to get a 'homeplug'?

arkracer
25-12-2009, 16:37
OK, to revive an ancient topic...

I have now got the following set-up:

Modem --> Router --> Computer and (Through homeplugs) Xbox 360

The computer connects perfectly fine through this set-up. The Xbox, however, is still saying it can't resolve the names. Even stranger, when I do ipconfig /all, it says my default gateway is 82.4.88.1, despite it being connected to a router - and when I try and access the router's configuration page via 192.168.10.1, the one I've always used before, it gives me an error.

Here's my ipconfig /all anyway:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-152169FCE2

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Hamachi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hamachi Network Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7A-79-00-00-00-01

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-22-42-8B

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 82.4.91.xxx

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 82.4.88.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.253.131.72

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 25 December 2009 15:19:51

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 01 January 2010 15:19:51

Stuart
26-12-2009, 15:55
We don't recommend publishing personal details such as IP addresses on the forum. I have obscured your IP.

However, judging by the IP shown by xp, you have a switch, not a router.If it were a router, your IP would begin 192.168..

What is the make and model number of your router?

arkracer
27-12-2009, 01:05
Hmm! It's a pretty obscure brand - I think it's called a 'Pro-Nets RT514WH2'. It seems router-y enough - it was identified as such on the box, and it says so on the website - but your suggestion would make sense. How perplexing.

Stuart
27-12-2009, 01:15
I am not familiar with that router, but their product page (http://www.pro-nets.com.tw/eng/product.php?mode=show&cid=133&pid=114 ) doesn't list an ADSL modem as one of the features, so it should work properly as a cable router.

The only thing I can think of is that the modem is connected to the wrong port on the router. Can you try the following?

Power both the modem and router down,
Ensure that the modem Ethernet port is connected to the WAN (usually an Ethernet port separate from the LAN ports which will be grouped together) port. Most routers will act as a switch if the modem is connected to one of the LAN ports rather than the WAN port.

Power up the modem and then the router (in that order).

arkracer
27-12-2009, 23:25
Ah! I am a bit of a klutz - the modem's ethernet cable wasn't in the WAN port, it was in a LAN port. It's working perfectly now.

Thanks!