PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management Trial - outrageously NUTS

sshan
21-07-2009, 14:10
hi all,

i just went to check out the VM Traffic management FAQ and was shocked with the NEW Trails they are carrying out in Preston, Acton, Aldershot, Wigan, Blackpool. wondering when my area is. This is simpley RIP off services from VM, i will be changing serivce when this comes to my area.

NEW trails says STM is for 3pm - 10pm weekday and 11am - 9m weekend with limits 2GB and 8GB and INSANE throttling time of 8 HOURS!!!! and 10 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. etc...

anyone know more about this plan?

Peter_
21-07-2009, 14:14
hi all,

i just went to check out the VM Traffic management FAQ and was shocked with the NEW Trails they are carrying out in Preston, Acton, Aldershot, Wigan, Blackpool. wondering when my area is. This is simpley RIP off services from VM, i will be changing serivce when this comes to my area.

NEW trails says STM is for 3pm - 10pm weekday and 11am - 9m weekend with limits 2GB and 8GB and INSANE throttling time of 8 HOURS!!!! and 10 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. etc...

anyone know more about this plan?
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

sshan
21-07-2009, 14:20

hey lol thanks,

that where i got that info from lol

Peter_
21-07-2009, 14:29
hey lol thanks,

that where i got that info from lol
That is the only information available, even to staff.

sshan
21-07-2009, 14:37
That is the only information available, even to staff.

ohh ok,

waht i dont understand is if they are planning bring in 200mb services and all this, surely they got big scale network upgrade, then y worry about all the 10mb and 20mb servies traffic management?

Peter_
21-07-2009, 14:39
ohh ok,

waht i dont understand is if they are planning bring in 200mb services and all this, surely they got big scale network upgrade, then y worry about all the 10mb and 20mb servies traffic management?
If you read about 50Mb it is traffic management free and is coming down in price in September to make it more attractive.

sshan
21-07-2009, 14:42
If you read about 50Mb it is traffic management free and is coming down in price in September to make it more attractive.

i was thinking of the 50mb upgrade, i am quite skeptical that it will stay STM free specially, but i dont mind paying 35£ for the 50MB as long its STM Free 4 EVER lol

good service needs to paid for.

BenMcr
21-07-2009, 14:43
It's £28 from 1st September ;)

broadbandking
21-07-2009, 14:44
It will remain STM free Virgin look like they are going to contacting very heavy users and discuss there usage and advise it will need to be lowered as they have just changed the terms and conditions to kind of hint this.

BenMcr
21-07-2009, 14:45
They haven't changed them - they inserted a clarification point to an existing term into the AUP

sshan
21-07-2009, 14:53
wow nice price lol £28 ummmm very very tempting lol,

the think is i consider my self as moderate user, i use 4OD iplayer , MOV, i got two voip lines amooungs other thinks.

waht i got ****ed of about, just recently i missed the wimbledon finals and i loaded the both mens and womens finals on iplayer sunday night, by the time i finished womens fians, and started mens finals on iplayer, the video was lagging, so i did a speed test found out i was throttled, so according to VM watchig this kida of stuff is heavery usuage and puts me in 5% margin does it LOL, they must be dreaming, and must have some idiotic mathematicans lol

BenMcr
21-07-2009, 15:02
Which Broadband do you have at the moment? Because even on M 10Mbit/L or XL when they are being managed they should all be able to stream from the BBC without any issue at all

sshan
21-07-2009, 15:06
i am on XL now, but i was on L package until only couple of weeks ago,

yea it streamreamed but there loads of lagging, too many stops and loading up again

BenMcr
21-07-2009, 15:08
Shouldn't have done that XL's STM drops to 5Mbit, which is enough to stream iPlayer HD

one2escape
21-07-2009, 15:11
I think its to move heavy users onto 50mb. Isnt the standard they using for this better?

sshan
21-07-2009, 15:11
i was in L then, noly couple weeks ago i upgraded. but even at 2mb it should have done it ok

Pillhead
21-07-2009, 15:33
i cant get a straight answer from virgin about going to 50mb from 20. Anyone have a idea about what it would cost as the stm is so annnnnnnnnnoying

HillBilly
21-07-2009, 15:43
So between 3pm and 4pm, every one will be downloading huge patches and demo's and cause traffic. This is not traffic mangement. Well played VM...

Gary L
21-07-2009, 15:55
It will remain STM free Virgin look like they are going to contacting very heavy users and discuss there usage and advise it will need to be lowered as they have just changed the terms and conditions to kind of hint this.

Can't wait to hear the details of the letter or phone call. through your selfishness of using your 50MB connection, you are having a detrimental effect on others trying to use theirs. please cease and desist this or we will have to take some other form of action.

BenMcr
21-07-2009, 16:33
Actually it's the AUP what they will do:

we may need to take appropriate action in accordance with the terms of this AUP to notify users of the impact they are having and require them to move some of their activity into the less busy period.

Gary L
21-07-2009, 16:55
Actually it's the AUP what they will do:

we may need to take appropriate action in accordance with the terms of this AUP to notify users of the impact they are having and require them to move some of their activity into the less busy period.

Do you know what the limit is that sets off the alarm bells?

HillBilly
21-07-2009, 17:18
Do you know what the limit is that sets off the alarm bells?

This will show you Gary...

broadbandking
21-07-2009, 17:30
No actual limit has been set but I think you will have to be hammering the network 24/7, I mean newsgroups download all day every day.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

This will show you Gary...

Thats for the other tier 50Mb has not STM.

HillBilly
21-07-2009, 17:40
It is live in Wigan, Blackpool, Acton, Aldershot and Preston. But if you pay for the XXL 50mb connection, you know, the one that uses the most bandwidth and costs the most money, you are exempt from this traffic control con trick. VM should just say
"Pay more or be fleeced"
So when I am "Throttled" I will adjust my bill to reflect this.
Hmmm 75% off, that seems like a good deal...

Ignitionnet
21-07-2009, 17:43
50Mbit has more bandwidth available so a single user has less impact on their local area when they download.

If you consider it fleecing then you can either upgrade to the STM free XXL tier or go elsewhere. Considering that STM has been running since 2007 across the entire network your indignation is a tad belated to say the least :)

HillBilly
21-07-2009, 20:36
Having to pay more to avoid getting throttled, that sounds like a well thought out argument. I do not have a problem with some sort of limits placed upon extremely high users if it is to the detriment of the masses, but these traffic controls are full of poor judgements.
I downloaded a patch for a game last night and that put me on the edge of the limit had I lived in one of these area's that it is being trialled in. I do not consider myself a heavy user but I would of been punished as one.
Belated or otherwise, my points are valid.

Ignitionnet
21-07-2009, 20:48
I like STM no more than you do, which is why I'm on the tier that doesn't have it.

broadbandking
21-07-2009, 21:41
Having to pay more to avoid getting throttled, that sounds like a well thought out argument. I do not have a problem with some sort of limits placed upon extremely high users if it is to the detriment of the masses, but these traffic controls are full of poor judgements.
I downloaded a patch for a game last night and that put me on the edge of the limit had I lived in one of these area's that it is being trialled in. I do not consider myself a heavy user but I would of been punished as one.
Belated or otherwise, my points are valid.

Whilst I understand you don't like STM and yes your points are kind of valid, adjusting your bill is not the way forward, as broadbandings stated STM has been active since 2007 so customer should be fully aware which I understand alot aren't, if you don't like STM simple move to another provide, don't bitch and moan about it and post idle threats that are going to cause you more trouble, just LEAVE.

HillBilly
22-07-2009, 12:11
I get the impression that "shut up and pay up" is the order of the day from the broadbandtwins, ok, you can have your thread all to yourself now.

Ignitionnet
22-07-2009, 12:14
Nope free country and all that I just don't see the point in revisiting these issues 2 years later. They'll tweak and mess with the particulars of the STM but it doesn't change that it sucks, has sucked since 2007 and will continue to suck. The only way to register an objection that Virgin will in any way care about is to take your business elsewhere.

broadbandking
22-07-2009, 14:00
Nope free country and all that I just don't see the point in revisiting these issues 2 years later. They'll tweak and mess with the particulars of the STM but it doesn't change that it sucks, has sucked since 2007 and will continue to suck. The only way to register an objection that Virgin will in any way care about is to take your business elsewhere.

:clap: to my fellow twin

mufc4evauk
23-07-2009, 04:07
I can't get any higer than 10kb/s on a torrent 24/7.

I'm not even a heavy downloader, and don't download during the hours they manage traffic anyway so I'm puzzled at why this is happening :(

broadbandking
23-07-2009, 06:48
Are you limiting your upload?
Have you opened your ports?

Sirius
23-07-2009, 06:53
I get the impression that "shut up and pay up" is the order of the day from the broadbandtwins, ok, you can have your thread all to yourself now.

So let me get this right, You have no proper answers so you revert to stupid childish name calling. :rolleyes:

sniper007
23-07-2009, 13:17
Can someone tell me how I find out if I am in one of the trial areas. What I mean is, I live close to one of the areas but not really what I would call in it. It depends how far the areas geographically cover. Any checks I can do? I just wish VM would say if 50mb is going to get STM in the future or not. If YES I'm not interested, if NO I'll switch now.

BenMcr
23-07-2009, 13:43
50Mbit will not have traffic managment. However - just as all over companies do (including Be/O2/Sky etc) they do reserve the ability to introduce it in the future

sniper007
23-07-2009, 13:56
50Mbit will not have traffic managment. However - just as all over companies do (including Be/O2/Sky etc) they do reserve the ability to introduce it in the future

Thanks Ben as ever.