PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to 50mb *install question

shortbread
20-07-2009, 21:33
Hi, I'm scheduled for an install next wed but cant get a consistent answer to my question spoke to 4 CS agents who didn't know or were unsure:erm:... During the install is it necessary for the existing fiber optic cable to be replaced ?
Thanks in advance for any replies :tu:.
SB x

jalzoo
20-07-2009, 21:35
Aslong as you have a coax feed to your house.. the engineer will come out screw the coax feed into a machine that i assume tests your signal then he installs the modem and job done.

So no, No cable needs to be replaced.

shortbread
20-07-2009, 21:40
jalzoo thanks for the swift reply. I thought it would be a straight switchover myself (have TV,BB + phone) but then had a vision of them uprooting my my garden & attic :Yikes:

AbyssUnderground
20-07-2009, 21:51
Also its not fibre optic :) It's copper coaxial cable. It's only fibre to the cab then coax to the house.

v0id
20-07-2009, 22:24
Also its not fibre optic :) It's copper coaxial cable. It's only fibre to the cab then coax to the house.

It's not actually copper coaxial is it? I thought it was copper coated steel

AbyssUnderground
20-07-2009, 22:30
Perhaps. It's just classed as copper.

Ignitionnet
20-07-2009, 22:36
It's not actually copper coaxial is it? I thought it was copper coated steel

It's a coaxial cable with a copper laminated core, call it what you will :)

zing_deleted
20-07-2009, 22:38
what you will is a funny name for a cable ;)

Ignitionnet
20-07-2009, 23:10
what you will is a funny name for a cable ;)

Now now, you'll hurt its' feelings if you keep talking about what you will like that.

uniplan
21-07-2009, 08:00
I always have a laugh at the "fibre optic broadband" nonsense.

All carrier networks use fibre. Virgin can claim it gets closer to the customer than BT but under no circumstances think that there is a fibre optic cable coming to your home (unless you are in a certain part of Ebbsfleet).

BT is reliant on its copper loop to deliver broadband and is limited by the DSL technologies.

VM uses coaxial cable instead and benefits from its ability to support higher speeds via (Euro)DOCSIS 3.0.

When BT puts in FTTC they can also claim fibre optic broadband IMO as it gets just as far as VM fibre gets. They are still however reliant on DSL - VDSL2 in this case I think which performs great (100Mb/s +) if you are 100m or less from the cabinet housing the VDSL2 kit, but performs no better than ADSL 2+ Annex M (24Mb/s) the further away you go!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/74.jpg