PDA

View Full Version : Unable to port phone number because ....

Albert Fish
20-07-2009, 10:22
For the last month I've been trying to have completed the otherwise flawless install of VM.

We'd like to keep the phone number we've had for close on 12 years an despite 5 phone calls to VM, each one ending with the promise of a call back, we still have 2 lines: a temp VM no. and our existing number.

The closest I have to an explanation is that VM are "unable to port number because someone nearby has a similar number" Which is an astonishing excuse and one I don't buy.

The call centre agent said 'to be honest, I've never heard of it' neither has their manager ..

Our number is easily confused with similar numbers and we regularly take calls from people who have mis-dialed by one digit so there are already similar numbers in our geographical location.

Can anyone here from VM or who has worked for them shed any light on this absurd situation ?

We're still in the same area code, we've had the number for years, what should be a simple port is becoming a large fat fly in our ointment and that's being made worse by VM call centre agents bu&&ering us about.

So far I've spoke to

23 June Louise - Scotland
02 July Caroline - Scotland
9 July Shereen - India
10 July Emily - Lancashire
Away for a week
20 July Jamie - Wales

And still no answers ..

webcrawler2050
20-07-2009, 10:32
Who is the old number currently with?
Do you owe them any money, the current provider? Have they sent your final bill?

Albert Fish
20-07-2009, 10:37
Who is the old number currently with?
Do you owe them any money, the current provider? Have they sent your final bill?

thanks for the response.

Number currently with BT - was an original Diamond Cable number. There is no money owing, we've not sent final bill, we're assuming a number port would initiate that process.

No one from VM has advised otherwise.

meekboy
20-07-2009, 18:02
So the number is a bt number but has been on cable network at some point?
if so you would need to get them to do a return to donor number port unless your account number with virgin was the same when you had your bt number with them. Would also be a return to donor if number is a cable number coming back on to a different account number

dave_dph
20-07-2009, 18:13
As the original number was a cable number then I can see no reason why the number can't go back to VM.

A number can only be ported on the condition that it can be ported back to the donor network if the need arises.

There was a very similar post on here or didgitalspy forums not so long back, I'm sure it got resolved but it's a matter of speaking to the right people.

meekboy
20-07-2009, 18:23
I think the problem maybe that return to donor ports are harder to do than standard number ports, I for one used to hate doing them:) but they can and should be done if the customer needs them

Albert Fish
20-07-2009, 19:22
"So the number is a bt number but has been on cable network at some point?"

The number was an original DC no. and was ported to BT - it now needs to come back to cable.

Ok, update .. the VM agent I spoke with today - the one who's actually taken possession of the situation - has had an "email from housefiles - who can't see a problem - the number is on the right switch and the case has been passed to ports and the number should be ported within a few days"

Does that make any sense, terminologically speaking ?

After a month of error messages and no call backs it seems like this might be resolved (famous last words)

Albert Fish
28-07-2009, 20:57
Finally got a letter from BT advising of the port.

40 days after attempting to initiate it, VM have agreed to pay the excess BT bill for what turned out to be an IT issue.

I took a call from a VM agent who advised me that I needed plug and unplug something and dial 173 or something on the day but, my bad, I wasn't listening 100%

So, August 6th, what do I have to do ?

oh, and hats off to Jamie in Wales. She's a goodun and held on to the issue until it was resolved. Diolch n fawr.

BenMcr
28-07-2009, 22:08
On the 6th just plug your phone into the Virgin socket. Thats it. It will then ring with your BT number

Mr_Moo
29-07-2009, 23:47
The only thing you will need to do is plug the phone into the Virgin socket. Dialling 173... Was the VM agent Indian by any chance?

Albert Fish
07-08-2009, 11:28
(SURPRISED FACE)

It's now 2 months since this process started.

We were told that the line would be ported on the 6th

It's now the 7th (the day after the 6th)

We had notification from BT that our line would be moved away from BT

Our BT line is still live, the VM line is dead.

What do we have to do to sort this borrocks out ?

Is there anyone from VM on this forum who's able to kick some esre and bring this matter to a close ?

dave_dph
07-08-2009, 11:47
(SURPRISED FACE)Is there anyone from VM on this forum who's able to kick some esre and bring this matter to a close ?

Do you use VM newsgroup support?

If so, raise the issue in virginmedia.support.telephony and the support guys will help you.

If you need to set up newsgroup access here is a guide:

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up.php

Albert Fish
07-08-2009, 11:56
Didn't know usenet support was monitored, thanks for the tip.

The case has been referred to housefiles (might as well be a housefly) and I'm awaiting another call back.

dave_dph
07-08-2009, 12:01
Didn't know usenet support was monitored, thanks for the tip.

The case has been referred to housefiles (might as well be a housefly) and I'm awaiting another call back.

All of the virginmedia support groups are monitored, I think its 8am - 10pm.

dave_dph
08-08-2009, 07:22
I see that support haven't answered your query yet, that's unusual. They will need to identify you in order to access your account. To do so they will need your email alias - the first part of your address before the @ntlworld.com or @blueyonder.co.uk

colin-bennett
08-08-2009, 09:49
Hello
I was made redundant last month. All part of building a better future for V.M. That seems to be going well does it not?

Your comments below (taken from initial post) indicate you have moved address. Is this correct??

"We're still in the same area code".

This information will help in people advising you correctly.

Albert Fish
10-08-2009, 12:02
I see that support haven't answered your query yet, that's unusual. They will need to identify you in order to access your account. To do so they will need your email alias - the first part of your address before the @ntlworld.com or @blueyonder.co.uk

I'm surprised that they haven't even attempted to elicit more inf from me although on re-reading the post, the cut and paste didn't go too well.

I'll try again before calling VM to tell them we're not paying the bill.